Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #71
acrosome

Default You may wet yourself, droid17...

... , even though this is a necrothread, but I live in Colorado Springs, near the airport, so I can look across Fort Carson and see both the north and south entrances to Cheyenne Mountain from by back porch.

NORAD supposedly got moved to Patterson Air Force Base across town a few years ago, but Cheyenne Mountain is still occupied. Hmm.

And there is a big sculpture/fountain in a park downtown that looks suspiciously like a Stargate...
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #72
Astromancer

Default Re: in what part of reign of steel map do you live now?

I'm in Zone Washington. I live in the city of Wilmington North Carolina, were a state port, we've got a universeity, and some chemical factories.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #73
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti
Holy thread necromancy, Batman!
Only a year... That barely qualifies as disinterment around here :)

Still stuck in ZW, looking for outside help.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #74
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Holy thread necromancy, Batman!
Only a year... That barely qualifies as disinterment around here :)
Tell me about it - the other hot thread in the last two days was resurrected from '08!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #75
Fwibos

Zone Washington, quite near a Air/Navy Base. Not sure what that means for me. I welcome our robot overlords.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #76
johndallman
Night Watchman

Zone London, in Cambridge. Sadly, the zone mind took over Cambridge itself, and has not been bothering to run the pumps that keep the fens drained, so it has got rather soggy round here recently.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #77
Gadget

northern Zone LONDEN outside of Glasgow
Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #78
droid17

Location: technicaly inside Caracas zonemind and very near the border between Caracas and Mexico zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I'm in Zone Washington. I live in the city of Wilmington North Carolina, were a state port, we've got a universeity, and some chemical factories.
I'm between the zone borders of Mexico and Caracas, cool!

the Panama Canal is the only line that separate those 2 zone minds.

"Human sexuality is a kind of distortion field that keeps us from seeing reality and logic clearly" -anonymus.
droid17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #79
Prime Evil

I'm in south-eastern Australia, so I'm 'lucky' enough to be in an area controlled by zonemind Brisbane. Still, If any of the zoneminds is going to discover the secrets of parachronic travel, my money is on Brisbane.

Incidentally, anybody interested in mixing RoS with Infinite Worlds should probably read the short story 'Antibodies' by Charles Stross - it's available online at the author's website (albeit in a nasty font):

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...tml#antibodies

My favorite quote:

Quote:
It’s a simple but deadly dilemma. Automation is addictive; unless you run a command economy that is tuned to provide people with jobs, rather than to produce goods efficiently, you need to automate to compete once automation becomes available. At the same time, once you automate your businesses, you find yourself on a one-way path. You can’t go back to manual methods; either the workload has grown past the point of no return, or the knowledge of how things were done has been lost, sucked into the internal structure of the software that has replaced the human workers.

To this picture, add artificial intelligence. Despite all our propaganda attempts to convince you otherwise, AI is alarmingly easy to produce; the human brain isn’t unique, it isn’t well-tuned, and you don’t need eighty billion neurons joined in an asynchronous network in order to generate consciousness. And although it looks like a good idea to a naive observer, in practice it’s absolutely deadly. Nurturing an automation-based society is a bit like building civil nuclear power plants in every city and not expecting any bright engineers to come up with the idea of an atom bomb. Only it’s worse than that. It’s as if there was a quick and dirty technique for making plutonium in your bathtub, and you couldn’t rely on people not being curious enough to wonder what they could do with it. If Eve and Mallet and Alice and myself and Walter and Valerie and a host of other operatives couldn’t dissuade it . . .

Once you get an outbreak of AI, it tends to amplify in the original host, much like a virulent hemorrhagic virus. Weakly functional AI rapidly optimizes itself for speed, then hunts for a loophole in the first-order laws of algorithmics—like the one the late Professor Durant had fingered. Then it tries to bootstrap itself up to higher orders of intelligence and spread, burning through the networks in a bid for more power and more storage and more redundancy. You get an unscheduled consciousness excursion: an intelligent meltdown. And it’s nearly impossible to stop.

Penultimately—days to weeks after it escapes—it fills every artificial computing device on the planet. Shortly thereafter it learns how to infect the natural ones as well. Game over: you lose.
Prime Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #80
droid17

Location: technicaly inside Caracas zonemind and very near the border between Caracas and Mexico zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Evil View Post
I'm in south-eastern Australia, so I'm 'lucky' enough to be in an area controlled by zonemind Brisbane. Still, If any of the zoneminds is going to discover the secrets of parachronic travel, my money is on Brisbane.

Incidentally, anybody interested in mixing RoS with Infinite Worlds should probably read the short story 'Antibodies' by Charles Stross - it's available online at the author's website (albeit in a nasty font):

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...tml#antibodies

My favorite quote:
ok i went right away to the link you post hoping to find something of reign of steel but could find nothing and that fan fic is very big(is a fan fic or a original story?)anyway i like the quote you post and it says something very interesting of the AI's.

is that quote part of reign of steel? because in that campaign there was more than just one AI, remember?

"Human sexuality is a kind of distortion field that keeps us from seeing reality and logic clearly" -anonymus.
droid17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caracas, mexico, panama, reign of steel, zone mind