Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
TroyGuffey

Default Magic Item: C3I HUDset

C3I HUDset
(written up with 3e spells from Magic/Grimoire/CIA Grimoire)

These items are intended for the usage of elite squads of soldiers. They were invented by a military genius working with a magical genius who gave the matter many years of thought. Some have mysteriously moved into the hands of dungeon adventurers who have further enhanced some sets in individual ways, taking advantage of the high Power enchantment.

The HUDset is a small monocle attached by a short cord to an ear-piece that fits behind the ear. If the cord is severed both sections quit working. The ear-piece originally contains a small crystal which stores maps! (Data Jar) These maps can be overlaid on the users HUD monocle, and are self-updating. There is a Borrow Language enchantment which allows the HUDset to communicate with the user in their primary language.

The monocle eye-piece shows a small compass, and a "targeting" indicator in the center of the HUD, and an aiming indicator for ranged weapons. (The user must be completely familiar with the exact weapon in question.) The indicator shows where the weapon would hit if the user shot it at that instant. The wearer can also call up a time display. The HUDs also have Air Vision so that wearers can see through smoke or other obscuring conditions. Also included is a Night Vision enchantment for low-light conditions, and a Bright Vision to protect from glare and flashes. A modified Hex enchantment affixes the monocle only in front of the eye, which can be deliberately removed by hand.

If another known friendly HUDset wearer enters the user's field of vision, that other user is designated by overlaying a green shading, to "Identify Friend or Foe". Placing the targeting indicator on that person displays their name and classes. The eye-piece is also Shatterproofed, and Soilproofed so as to protect the eye and vision of the user. A Foe Designator overlays foes with a red shading.
There is an illusion detector included.
Sense Danger flashes a red arrow to indicates a direction of the danger.
Built-in light: Continual Light with a Shape Light to make it directional controlled by voice command. The ones enchanted with Dark Vision will not have this mod.

The earpiece allows secure communication with other users of HUDsets, including sharing mapping information. It is also hexed to attach behind the ear.

"Enhanced/Scout" mods:

Enhanced low-light: Infravision and/or Dark Vision.
Detect Magic
See Secrets
See Invisible
Hawk Vision variable zoom
Water Vision

Higher tech versions will include measurements of radiation levels, oxygen levels, or anything else which would be dangerous.

The item uses a Power 4! enchantment. (Mostly for the Communication spell!)

Operation:
There are a set of commands used to set and access the various functions. The user can set lists of other people to display and separate channels to listen and speak. For instance privates could talk and listen to everyone on his squad, the sergeant could listen to the squad and his officer, etc. Each officer could listen/speak for higher command and issue orders to his sergeant while not listening to the squads. (Or however a proper command net is SUPPOSED to work(I don't really know))
Adding a HUDset wearer to the net usually requires just looking at them and issuing the "add targeted" command. This shows you their name and classes on the HUD. (They must then authorize you.)

Commands:
"Quiet mode" Full Converse, hearable only by other HUDsets.
"Open mode" Lets people not wearing HUDsets to hear and understand you.
"Designate <name>" sets your name on the net.
"Squelch <name>|<class>" suppresses hearing that name or class.
"Class <classname>" Sets you as a member of that class. E.g. "Class Squad One" sets you as a member of Squad One. "Class Platoon Three" can then be issued to make you ALSO a member of Platoon 3; so that you can hear anything directed to everyone in either of those.
"<class1> contains <class2>" makes all members of class2 in a hierarchally higher <class1>
"Unclass <class>" removes you as a member of that class.

Spells:
:Complex illusion for vision and voice display.
:Borrow Language variant
:Tell Position for weapon indicator
:Know Illusion
:Converse
:Communication
:Encrypt
:Air Vision
:Hex variant
:Shatterproof
:Soil-proof
:Sense Foes variant for Line-of-Sight
:Sense Life variant for Line-of-Sight
:Mapmaker

Last edited by TroyGuffey; 07-05-2009 at 02:36 PM.
TroyGuffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Magic Item: C3I HUDset

What is CiA grimoire and datajar?
I worked out a spell to store books in crystals or one of my games but if there is already a spel that does it I would love to read it.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
Chunk
MIB

You've been playing "Wraith Recon", haven't you?
Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
TroyGuffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
You've been playing "Wraith Recon", haven't you?
Actually, no. What gives you that idea?
TroyGuffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
AOTA

Cool stuff will work very well for a Technomancer game.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
tantric
Banned

Hmm, Magic Tech....what a great e23 idea.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyGuffey View Post
Actually, no. What gives you that idea?
I Googled Wraith Recon and seems like a similar item, the SpellCom Omnilens Helmet or Circlet, is featured in the game. So prominent that it appears in the game preview. It's not exactly what you propose but similar enough in a pseudo-medival fantasy special ops setting that I can see why the poster thought that's where you got the idea.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/co...=wrconcept.jpg

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pd...43a2459a907a41
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic item