Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #1
Izzy_B

Default After action report: JIGG Tokyo Akihabara, August 19, 2018

After finding a Japan International Gamers Guild within short distance on Meetup, I registered and posted that I'd be bringing Ogre 6E. Managed to hood two new players.

Game 1: Basic Mark III
I played defense, "K" got the hang of the Ogre really quick and the dice favored him. I went for a 2 howitzer defense but only one of them got any shots in before falling to a missile. He made it up to the CP with more than enough treads and me with little enough force left that the CP fell easily. No way I could have destroyed remaining treads or armaments so Ogre Victory

Game 1: Basic Mark III
I played defense, "T" took his time learning the Ogre but the dice REALLY favored him.2 SHVs fell to a missile and lucky dice with a main battery. By the time he rammed the CP, he had only anti infantry guns left and only 2MP but I was down to only infantry so again Ogre Victory.

I didnt mind losing twice in a row to compete new players, just really happy to get some games in. I'll be heading to the next JIGG a month from now if all goes well.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
sparky00

Default Re: After action report: JIGG Tokyo Akihabara, August 19, 2018

Glad to hear you were able to recruit a couple new players.

Did they enjoy their games?

I always enjoy it when a new player wins their first game, or if the game is very close.

If a first-time player loses badly, i feel like they may be discouraged from playing again.

Thanks for the report. Keep spreading the word and Expand The Base!
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
Did they enjoy their games?
K seemed to have a good time, T felt things depended a bit too much on the dice.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
TexPoec

That aversion to random consequences from dice is common, especially with those who grew up on Euro games.

The orange map scenarios are very balanced. Maybe something a little more complex on a GEV map would let "T" practice more strategy and tactics.
TexPoec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexPoec View Post
That aversion to random consequences from dice is common, especially with those who grew up on Euro games.

The orange map scenarios are very balanced. Maybe something a little more complex on a GEV map would let "T" practice more strategy and tactics.
Next month I’ll try prepping something on GEV maps or with M1
Old 08-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
K seemed to have a good time, T felt things depended a bit too much on the dice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexPoec View Post

That's where understanding basic statistics matters. With a d6, there's too much swing; that's why you need to roll as many times as possible to even out the odds. Rolling once for a HWZ on treads is great when it hits, but sucks when it misses. Rolling three times with three GEVs is more likely to at least get something to hit.

Many small rolls is more likely to be effective over time (but still not guaranteed). It might help to direct them to read Playing the Odds in Ogre/G.E.V. from the Ogre Articles page
Old 08-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
That's where understanding basic statistics matters. With a d6, there's too much swing; that's why you need to roll as many times as possible to even out the odds. Rolling once for a HWZ on treads is great when it hits, but sucks when it misses. Rolling three times with three GEVs is more likely to at least get something to hit.

Many small rolls is more likely to be effective over time (but still not guaranteed). It might help to direct them to read Playing the Odds in Ogre/G.E.V. from the Ogre Articles page
I spoke of that but sometimes its logic vs feelings. Maybe he'll come back next month and try again.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
sparky00

The D6 has often caused me to question everything I accept regarding statistics & probability.

That said, I've taken out more than a few MB's on a 1-2 shot..
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
That's where understanding basic statistics matters. With a d6, there's too much swing; that's why you need to roll as many times as possible to even out the odds.
I've found I can build a decent tactical response when my 1:1s are hitting one time in four, but not one time in eight.

And GP knows that - see the SHVY thread. He sat a SHVY in the middle of Breakthrough - no way around it. So I rushed it with my full force of GEVs, and missed like eight shots in a row. (What happened after was even more embarrassing.)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
The D6 has often caused me to question everything I accept regarding statistics & probability.

That said, I've taken out more than a few MB's on a 1-2 shot..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
I've found I can build a decent tactical response when my 1:1s are hitting one time in four, but not one time in eight.

And GP knows that - see the SHVY thread. He sat a SHVY in the middle of Breakthrough - no way around it. So I rushed it with my full force of GEVs, and missed like eight shots in a row. (What happened after was even more embarrassing.)
Yes, the dice do weird things. All you can do is plan for the worst and hope for the best. I have certainly had my share of falling out of a boat and missing the water.