Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
cephalopagus

Default Hotrod Ogre Mk V print scaling

I downloaded the Ogrezine and printed out the "Hotrod" Mk V with the understanding that I could glue it over an existing Mk V, but the print scaling is off. The printed Hotrod is smaller than a Mk. V. How do I get the print scaling correct to fit over a Mk V?
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Hotrod Ogre Mk V print scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopagus View Post
I downloaded the Ogrezine and printed out the "Hotrod" Mk V with the understanding that I could glue it over an existing Mk V, but the print scaling is off. The printed Hotrod is smaller than a Mk. V. How do I get the print scaling correct to fit over a Mk V?
Are you sure you printed at 100%? When I look at what my system does by default, it scales to 91%, which would be smaller. Make sure you are not scaling when you print.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
cephalopagus

Thanks I'll give that a try.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
sparky00

Concur that print scaling is likely the cause.

I've completed a MK V Hot Rod re-skin, and can vouch that the artwork fits perfectly when printed at 100%

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...nightfall-ogre

I'd recommend printing from the "web" PDF, rather than the "print" PDF. The print version has a "bleed" border which is used in commercial printing, but will cause scaling on most desktop printers.

try printing from the web PDF, check printer settings to make sure paper size is correct & scaling is 100%.

I did some draft quality B&W test prints on plain paper to check for size. Once I was satisfied, i did a high quality print on photo paper, which came out quite nice.

Going forward, I'm going to try printing on on brochure paper, since that has a nice glossy surface, but is not as thick as the photo paper. Hopefully it will require less adjustment to the slots to get a correct parts fit.

Enjoy building the Hot Rod MK V. I really enjoyed mine. Please don't glue the skins for one of the tread units on backwards and then cut the slots in them.
I did that and had to reprint new skins....
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
sparky00

One other quick tip on sizing.

When the die-cut sheets are cut, one side will have its edges slightly rounded by the compressive force of the cutting die. We''ll call that the top. The other side will still have perfectly flat edges, since it is supported during the cutting operation. We'll call that the bottom.

When the print is correctly sized, the edges on the bottom side of the pieces will line up exactly with the red border lines on the printed artwork.

I found it easiest to check this on the the edges & slot locations of the MK V base plate, as well as one of the side pieces with the secondary batteries. If everything lines up there, it will be correct on all the other pieces as well.

Last edited by sparky00; 08-03-2018 at 10:54 PM.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:09 AM   #6
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post

I've completed a MK V Hot Rod re-skin, and can vouch that the artwork fits perfectly when printed at 100%

I'd recommend printing from the "web" PDF, rather than the "print" PDF. The print version has a "bleed" border which is used in commercial printing, but will cause scaling on most desktop printers.

try printing from the web PDF, check printer settings to make sure paper size is correct & scaling is 100%.

I did some draft quality B&W test prints on plain paper to check for size. Once I was satisfied, i did a high quality print on photo paper, which came out quite nice.

Going forward, I'm going to try printing on on brochure paper, since that has a nice glossy surface, but is not as thick as the photo paper. Hopefully it will require less adjustment to the slots to get a correct parts fit.

Enjoy building the Hot Rod MK V. I really enjoyed mine. Please don't glue the skins for one of the tread units on backwards and then cut the slots in them.
Yes thanks for the heads up I did notice that some of the treads are printed "backwards".
Old 08-04-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
cephalopagus

Quote:
One other quick tip on sizing.

When the die-cut sheets are cut, one side will have its edges slightly rounded by the compressive force of the cutting die. We''ll call that the top. The other side will still have perfectly flat edges, since it is supported during the cutting operation. We'll call that the bottom.

When the print is correctly sized, the edges on the bottom side of the pieces will line up exactly with the red border lines on the printed artwork.

I found it easiest to check this on the the edges & slot locations of the MK V base plate, as well as one of the side pieces with the secondary batteries. If everything lines up there, it will be correct on all the other pieces as well.
Thanks for the information I didn't realize the size difference due to the die cutting process but since you explained it it makes sense. Regards
Old 08-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
cephalopagus

Quote:

That did the trick thanks for your help and patience.

Best Regards

Tags
hotrod mk v, ogrezine