Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #1
InexplicableVic

Default Question on Magic Item Build (Ring gives +3 Will and Immovable Stance)

I can't seem to figure out how to do this in GCA (apologies if this is clear from the FAQ, or another post, but I didn't find that there).

The ring grants +3 to Will, and also grants the skill Immovable Stance (@ Will, instead of Dex). I can't seem to find modifiers in "New Equipment" that would accomplish this. Anyone have any ideas?
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Question on Magic Item Build (Ring gives +3 Will and Immovable Stance)

(This post covers the easiest and quickest way to do this in GCA that I can think of, without having to write anything in a data file.)

The Will bonus is actually easy. Edit the item, and include inside the gives() section the text +3 to Will, or, more preferably, =+3 to ST:Will (the = before the +3 tells GCA not to increment the bonus per level of the item, which isn't usually an issue with equipment; and the ST: before Will helps GCA to find the trait in the Attributes (or stats) list).

Within GCA, you can click on the ring item, click Edit, click Full Edit Window, click on Add Tag, and in the Add Tag dialog enter gives in the Tag box, and the text I gave you before in the Tag Value box.

This basic feature is similar to how you'd do the Immovable Stance at a particular level: basically, since its a Hard skill, you'll give +4pts to the skill to get it to the Stat level. So, in a gives() you'd include =+4pts to SK:Immovable Stance.

Combined with the Will bonus, your gives() text would look like this:

=+3 to ST:Will, =+4pts to SK:Immovable Stance

which gives both bonuses.

For an existing character, you'd also add the Immovable Stance skill yourself, and then edit that to change the type() data from DX/H to Will/H. You'd probably also want to add From Magic Ring or something to the name extension.

You could also edit needs() to include a reference to the ring, such as AD:Trained By A Master, EQ:magic ring, where magic ring is the name of your magic ring item. That way if the ring is removed, the skill is tagged with the missing prereqs marker. If you don't have and don't need Trained By A Master due to the ring, you can remove that, and just have the EQ:magic ring bit in the needs().

Then you're all set.

Last edited by Armin; 03-28-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Armin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Question on Magic Item Build (Ring gives +3 Will and Immovable Stance)

Alternatively, since these are effectively advantages being granted, just take them as actual advantages. Add the advantages Extra Will and Racial Skill Point Bonus to the character at the appropriate levels, add the modifier _Free from the _General category of modifiers, and then rename and/or parent/child the advantages as you see fit.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 03-29-2016 at 09:35 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
InexplicableVic

Thanks to both Armin and Eric. Much appreciated!

Last edited by InexplicableVic; 03-29-2016 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to put both peeps in here!
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, increased attributes, magic item