Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #91
B9anders

Default Re: "Super-archer" vs. "Super-normal archer"?

I'd go for two routes for scaling up:
  • Bow skill & Penetrating weapon for combat scaling. This will solve your problems with DR, as I think the damage output against unarmored foes should generally be enough (against homogenous foes and such, you might be less potent, but that is what the tank is for). What Penetrating weapon can not punch through, a dual-shot to the eyes will.
  • Rounding out the character - You've got such a heavily combat optimised base to begin with (which is cool - it's a great concept to start with), I don't imagine you will be falling behind much by not investing many points in combat for a foreseeable while. Perception and Talent is your friend here, more so than IQ.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #92
munin

Default Re: "Super-archer" vs. "Super-normal archer"?

Scalability: I wouldn't worry about increasing your base damage with ST too much -- thr costs a lot to improve. Improving Penetrating Weapon, Multi-Shot and Bow (just by increasing DX at first) will turn you into a machine gun.

For example, with Weapon Master increasing your thr damage by one with ST averages 14.5 points (80 points / (3.5 +2 damage)). Increasing your DX by one for 20 points will do up to an extra 2d+6 damage (Bow + Multi-Shot, reduced by DR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edeldhur View Post
... a signature Elven Long Bow - I have seen that this weapon may gain points whenever it performs acts of significance ...
Just to check, you need the Named Possession perk (GURPS Fantasy, p. 132, et al.) or the Imbued Weapon perk (Pyramid #3/13, p. 19) for that. Each character point it gains is worth 25 energy points worth of magical enchantments. See GURPS Magic for possible enchantments (also GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 8 has a good summary of possible weapon enchantments on pp. 48-49).

For example, the Accuracy enchantment will increase your weapon's Acc, Puissance will add to damage, etc. A lot of the basic weapon enchantments duplicate things you'll be doing with imbuements though, so you might want to look at general non-weapon enchantments as well (Blur, Grace, Haste, Keen Sense, Vigor, etc.) as well as a Power enchantment to help fuel the other enchantments.

The GM decides which enchantments your weapon gets.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
250, 250 points, archer, fantasy