Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
Varyon

Default Help with an Unkillable Ally Group

I was working on a new super for the 250-point supers thread, and while I suspect he’s going to end up clocking in at more than [250], there are some specifics to the build I need assistance with.

The concept is for a master-type with a small army (size as yet undetermined) of minions with Unkillable 3. Said minions also have some clearly non-human features, generally in the form of animal bits tacked on; this can range from characters resembling the Faunus from RWBY to monster girls who would be at home in Monster Musume and similar (although fortunately these ones lack Lecherous). Each also has a summonable weapon, which I’m going to build using the system described here, specifically posts #3 and #5. He himself possesses a form of Unkillable 2. The first bit is an issue with the Unkillable build. For the minions, this is UK3 (Mortal -20%; Reincarnation -20%; Hindrance: “Death” of master -5%; Dies at 0 HP -25%) [45]. The Hindrance means they won’t recover HP while the master is “dead” (in quotes thanks to UK2), the Dies at 0 HP bit is a custom Limitation (and I feel the price of each is appropriate). As a Feature, they always respawn near their master. My question here is if Reincarnation is appropriate for what I’m going for. Basically, each minion is built from a specific template that eats up most of their points, and this template is going to be retained in the reincarnated form. Each also has a small pool of points in background skills to represent who they were before becoming minions, which is also retained. The differences after reincarnation are that their “inhuman” characteristics are different (a character who just had cat ears might come back as a lamia, for instance), and their summonable weapon is different (and if the new one would require a different skill, they have that skill instead of whatever their previous weapon used). Their “human side” also looks different (although they retain their level of Appearance), and indeed their DNA is that of a different person. Is this sufficient to count for reincarnation? Also, the difference in human appearance and DNA is important because it prevents the super’s enemies from realizing his army is unkillable (everyone just assumes he keeps empowering new people to replace those that die). Is this side benefit kosher, or should I add on some variant of Zeroed?

The next part is related to Unkillable - they have Fast Regeneration (Granted by Master -40%; Unkillable Only -40%) [10]. My intent is that upon “death” their insubstantial spirit travels to their master (at their normal Move, unimpeded by normal obstacles), and once it gets close enough (within 1 minute of travel, as for Granted by Other) it starts to regenerate much more quickly. I’m not certain this is appropriate, as it seems like it makes the Granted by Master part less of a Limitation than by default. At the same time, I’m not certain their insubstantial form should be able to move freely while unconscious like this. How should this be built to get the effect I’m looking for? For that matter, is there a trait to always know where a specific person is relative to your location (just direction, not necessarily distance; think of it as an internal version of Jack’s compass from Pirates of the Caribbean)? I'm thinking this would be appropriate as a Perk.

The final issue is with the Ally Group Advantage. As noted above, while the minions are all quite similar, they’re not as identical as Ally Group assumes. At the same time, they’re too similar to justify paying for each as a separate Ally. Is there an Enhancement or similar I could apply to Ally Group? I haven’t worked out their template yet - largely because of the outstanding questions of the costs for UK3 and Regeneration (and if they need Zeroed of some flavor) - but has anyone done anything similar? One idea I had would be to base cost on the percentage of their points that are set-in-stone; this is best explained as an example. Let’s say I have the minions be worth 75% of the character’s value (base [3]), be constantly available (x4), and have there be 20 of them. Finally, the set-in-stone parts of the template make up 72% of their point totals (90 points out of 125). As distinct entities characters, they’d cost (3x4x20)=[240]. As carbon-copies of each other, they’d cost (3x4x8)=[96], a savings of [144]. As they’re only 72% copies, they only get 72% of the discount, which rounds down to [103]; this puts the Ally Group Advantage here at a cost of [137]. Does this seem fair? Note that, if going this route, I may reduce the cost increase based on the Limited Limitation on Modular Abilities ("Breaker Weapons Only" and "Background Skills Only" are arguably around -40%; "Monster Girl Traits Only" are probably more in the -30% range).
Old 11-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Help with an Unkillable Ally Group

No takers? Very well then.

While thinking on if my treatment of UK3 was fair, I came upon the idea of replacing UK3 with UK2 and an Alternate Form that turned the character into a spirit of sorts. Here’s the template:

Advantages [176]
Danger Sense (Reliable 8 +40%) [21]
Doesn’t Breathe [20]
Doesn’t Eat or Drink [10]
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]
Insubstantiality (Always On -50%) [40]
Invisibility [40]
Vibration Sense (Universal +50%) [15]

Disadvantages [-255]
Absent Mindedness [-15]
Bestial [-10]
Blindness [-50]
Cannot Learn [-30]
Deafness [-20]
Hidebound [-5]
Mute [-25]
No Manipulators [-50]
No Sense of Smell/Taste [-5]
Numb [-20]
Short Attention Span [-25]

I gave it Vibration Sense so it can still navigate despite the lack of other senses, and a highly-reliable Danger Sense (roll against Per+8 to detect danger) both to make it difficult to capture and to ensure it will find a safe place to revive. Most of the Disadvantages are to represent the fact the spirit is running off of the character’s subconscious and can’t really interact with much beyond moving around to find a safe place to revive. As the Disadvantages heavily outweigh the Advantages, you could afford to boost it quite a bit, such as with Acute Vibration Sense (and/or Acute Danger Sense, if you feel the Reliable route is too cheap), IT: Homogenous, etc, and still have it be net 0 or lower. Note the spirit maintains the base character’s UK2.

As for the AF itself, this is Alternate Form (Active Change +20%; Non-reciprocal Damage +50%; Reciprocal Rest +30%; Trigger: “Death” -??%; Leaves a Corpse +??%). With the template being worth [0] or less, only the AF cost matters. So long as the combination of Trigger and Leaves a Corpse is worth less than +135% (and seeing as the Trigger is certainly a Limitation and Leaves a Corpse is probably a Feature, this is likely), this fits well within the [50] for going from UK2 to UK3. This doesn’t give a means by which the ghost can turn back, aside from the ghost “dying,” but we have enough leeway in points that some sort of “Automatically turns back when main form reaches 100% HP” modifier would be readily affordable.

With this in mind, I think my treatment of UK3 - and by extension Regeneration - is fair. So now we move on to the other parts.

For the question of Resurrection, I think I’m going to go with it working fine here. I certainly would appreciate feedback, but absent that, I’m going to leave this as-is.

For being able to always know the direction to Master, I think Detect would work. This is an ultra-rare (indeed, one-of-a-kind) category; I’d say roughly half the worth of Rare (based on Accessibility, this is roughly appropriate if the Rare category covers 10,000 people; if it covers more, the base ability would arguably cost less). To this, we add 2 levels of Long Range so it suffers no distance penalties, allowing the minion to detect her master regardless of where he is. So, Detect Master (Long Range 2 +100%) [5]. Note this also puts it at the same cost of the similar Special Rapport. The difference is, this requires a Sense roll, but only tells the direction to the target, not the target’s condition (although you can find out some of that with a good enough IQ roll for analysis). Also, the target doesn't need to have the same ability as you, which is useful (although I may end up giving Master a comparable Detect for locating his minions; this would again be a subset of Rare, but it might not be horrible just treat it the same as Rare, for a cost of [10]).

Finally, for Ally Group, I think I’m going to do what I said in the first post - do a percentage based adjustment, then apply a -30% adjustment to the resulting cost increase to represent traits being from fairly small categories. Now all that’s left is to buy Template Toolkit 2 (which I need anyway) and make the actual monster girls… and their villainous master, of course.