Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
InexplicableVic

Default Holy Weapon vs. Flaming Skull

Had to make a ruling today about a holy warrior wielding a holy weapon fighting Venom Skulls (toxic versions of Flaming Skulls). Since they are diffuse, the most they can take from weapons is 1 injury for piercing/impaling, 2 injury from all others. However, the text for Holy Weapon says "Adds +2 holy injury--or +3 vs. demons, undead, and anything else the GM deems to be capital-E Evil." Faced with the choice, I allowed the Holy Warrior wielding it to do basically 5 injury per hit (since his minimum basic damage is 5 at 3d+2, not including the weapon). Otherwise, it seemed, the wielder of the Holy Weapon gets no benefit, really, and could just do 2 injury every round by using any of his weapons. That didn't make sense to me.

Sound right?
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Holy Weapon vs. Flaming Skull

I would apply the Holy damage bonus to the normal damage cap, so 5 points sounds about right.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
Joseph R

Default Re: Holy Weapon vs. Flaming Skull

2 for non-impaling/piercing mundane attack, +3 holy damage because is undead, meaning 5 total? That is certainly how I would rule it.

Ditto for other weapons with a magical "follow-up", such as flaming weapon. They are effectively treated seperately but delivered in one attack. The main consideration for such "follow-up" would be whether the monster is immune to that follow-up damage type (e.g. flaming skull hit with envenomed weapon).

Another factor is that most follow-ups do require the physical attack to penetrate DR, which is why the damages should be tallied separately, although of course the flaming skull has DR 0 so that isn't an issue. Actually that last point I think is another reason to back up your ruling as correct. If the follow-up would be ignored if it failed to penetrate DR, then it cannot by logic be limited to the initial 2 injury cap for the physical attack.

Formerly known as Unwitting Pawn
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, diffuse, holy warrior, holy weapon, injury