Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2016, 04:22 AM   #51
lachimba

Default Re: GURPS as a convention game

Ok I put in my proposal for a Discworld RPG game. I went with Undiplomatic Incident from Phil Masters.

I'll consider a THS or modern horror investigation scenario, but to make something for those kinds of settings I need to create something that comments on the here and now as well as being speculative. So more work for me.

Quite possibly going to put in for Feng Shui 2, NBA or Hillfolk for at least one of the other two sessions.

Lets hope Discworld arrives by December 9.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:56 AM   #52
lachimba

Officially more work to get on an RPG conference agenda than to apply for a job (successfully) in Sydney.

I've applied for next year's October conference too. Four session minimum repeat for tabletop RPGS. I don't plan my holidays a year in advance!

I put down DFRPG and Hillfolk. Let's see if I'm lucky.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #53
dom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Officially more work to get on an RPG conference agenda than to apply for a job (successfully) in Sydney.
LOL :)

BTW, where is the DW scenario "Undiplomatic Incident" from? I can't find it in GURPS DW, Discworld Also or any of the Pyramid Discworld articles I've got.
dom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #54
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1 View Post
BTW, where is the DW scenario "Undiplomatic Incident" from? I can't find it in GURPS DW, Discworld Also or any of the Pyramid Discworld articles I've got.
It's one of my back catalogue of personal convention demo scenarios. I sent lachimba a copy to encourage promotion of the book.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #55
dom1

Ah, that makes sense, thanks Phil :)
dom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #56
lachimba

And there's a public library role-playing day, but with only two 2.5 hour sessions.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #57
ArchonShiva

I first discovered GURPS in a Martial Arts, classic kidnapped girlfriend scenario.

Reign of Steel also worked really well, as did a "let's get Saddam Hussein" (yeah, I know, it was a while ago) military ops game.

The common strength here is that each game fits a style that is clearly defined by cinema, and players have clear expectations of what should work and should be possible, and GURPS can definitely make it happen.

Also, each pushes towards proactive behaviour with a straightforward goal, as opposed to a series of scripted scenes.

I'd also recommend making the fights on the easy side, encouraging players to try stuff other than "I attack him again", and letting them succeed on a lot of stuff. Grab two guys and bump their heads together, spray the robot's sensor with paint, bounce your grenade into the bathroom, have fun!

As opposed to running Heroic Fantasy, where players expect to act as in D&D and get results similar to D&D, which GURPS, by design, isn't good at.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #58
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post

I've applied for next year's October conference too. Four session minimum repeat for tabletop RPGS. I don't plan my holidays a year in advance!

I put down DFRPG and Hillfolk. Let's see if I'm lucky.
By the way, if you want to fill a slot with promotion of another recent GURPS publication, I think that my notes for my Steampunk/Screampunk/Action convention scenario are coherent enough to run from...
Old 10-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #59
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
By the way, if you want to fill a slot with promotion of another recent GURPS publication, I think that my notes for my Steampunk/Screampunk/Action convention scenario are coherent enough to run from...
My thoughts were that with Discworld and DFRPG I can hold up a nice shiny product that can be purchased. People certainly can be impressed with online PDFs, but the Basic set primitive accumulation model is a lot to ask for.

I'm ofcourse looking for new players(or GMs) for my games too. So I need to attract them to something I'm going to run/play. Then the convention needs to accept my games (looks more difficult than you might think).

As it is I suggested NBA, FS2 and Discworld RPG for December.

And I'm going to suggest DFRPG and Hillfolk for next October.

That leaves the unlikely scenario that I go to the convention over Easter and the November games day.

I'll probably go with Discworld for November too.

Other than DFRG I haven't even worked out what campaigns id be willing to play/run long-term.

Last edited by lachimba; 10-11-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:19 AM   #60
Phil Masters

Fair enough. There's a lot to be said for having nice shiny visible books at these events.

Tags
convention, gurps