Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #561
IrishRover

Default Re: Memorable Quotes.

In the wrap-up of the most memorable camapign I've ever played (we're still taling about it 20 YEARS later) we had a really good one.

We're having a major (as in battle dress, fusion guns, gauss rifles, and the odd revolver) firefight aboard a Kuinir class battlecruiser. One of the marines is about to hose down a PC with something nasty, when another PC lets loose at the marine with a fusion gun man portable 15. The PC about to get slaughtered and the enemy are very close. The GM says, very quietly, "What's the danger space on an FGMP-15.

The firing player started to sweat...and not just metaphoricly.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #562
Celti

Bandying about a lot of math for a space game, this memorable line was issued…

“Please, don't make me calculate relativistic HP.”
And here you thought GURPS Vehicles already had a lot of math!
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #563
darksabrz

This is from several years ago in a 2nd Edition AD&D Dark Sun Campaign in which I played Lykos (a werewolf ranger/druidic cleric of nature) and Farsis (a chaotic good gladiator/necromancer/psionicist -- yes, Farsis was a strange one, given the setting -- with intentions of actually becoming the Avangion, the antithesis to the Dragon Kings of Athas and the Dragon at large, since Athas could only have one Dragon and one Avangion). The setting and such were rather modified, obviously, but this quote is actually in regards to another member of the party:

Oz (Ozymandius was the full name, I believe, but we all called him Oz for short) was being flanked by a pair of dray (draconian warrior race) under the command of a cloned member of the party (said clone was altered just enough by magic to keep from going insane when activated, since the original was still active) who had invaded the party's held territories in the Tyr Region. Oz was actually planning to get a helm of alignment, and so as he entered the teleport chamber to his vault, he looked at both dray and said, "There may be a brief flash of light at the end."

At the moment of teleportation, Oz cast lightning bolt, turning the teleportation chamber into an electrocution chamber -- both dray warriors were killed. Oz looked down at the corpses, shook his head, and said, "There's your flash of light, b****."

The entire group was rolling with laughter.
darksabrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #564
BLloyd607502

A few 'inspirational' quotes from a sort of low fantasy police game, from the sarcastic PC.

To another PC who'd been giving him a hard time and was now chewing him out over getting drunk after a mission: Great; first you drive me to the bottle, then you get all judgemental about it.

"I'll fight to the death any man I can't outrun."

One day, we will look back on this, laugh nervously, and change the subject.

After the classic 'One office dresses up as a prostitute to catch the ripper' plan: If I had any dignity that would have been humiliating.

Honesty may be the best policy…but it’s important to remember that, apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second best.

To our commanding officer: You were once shoved head first through someone’s v*gina, stop acting so dignified.

When giving a small child he'd protected life advice:
'Go placidly amongst the noise and haste and remember what peace may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrendering what you’re standing for, be on good terms with all you meet. Yet never be afraid to fight for what you believe in, or be afraid to stand when no others will.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others; even the dull and ignorant. For they too have their story.
Yes, even the bloody nitwits. '

Coming in as back up during a mission that had gone badly wrong; it was at midnight, the whole thing was just coming to a head, he steps out the darkness with a mace in one hand, a fireball in the other and looks around the roomful of gangsters: I am the destroyer of worlds; and tonight gentlemen, I have chosen yours.

NPC female officer: "Hey, can you do me a favour?"
'No, you can't sneak into my room for a quick one later'
Everyone in the bar: "...*Looks at him*"

I can't out run death forever, no man can, but I can make him work for it.
BLloyd607502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:46 AM   #565
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

After having discovered that the only possible culprit to an attack was a were-pomeranian:

Holly: "Does that mean that next we'll be seeing were-chihuahuas?"
Lysette: "What would that be like?"
Heaven: (After amoment of thought) "They'd turn into Taco Bell employees?"
Mark Skarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #566
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Bandying about a lot of math for a space game, this memorable line was issued…

“Please, don't make me calculate relativistic HP.”
And here you thought GURPS Vehicles already had a lot of math!
I think we need to check this with Kromm. Is it rest mass or relativistic mass that is the basis for HP?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:02 AM   #567
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I think we need to check this with Kromm. Is it rest mass or relativistic mass that is the basis for HP?
Collision damage is based on HP, so it would almost have to be the latter, no?
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #568
William

Damage in GURPS is roughly proportional to momentum, if I recall Kromm correctly, which is why for a given low velocity it would be proportional to HP.

At relativistic velocity I'd use momentum directly to calculate collision damage instead of calculating an intermediate HP. If any rule is a Newtonian approximation that breaks down in the relativistic range, I'd certainly say that cube-root-of-mass-is-HP would be one. I can't really picture things getting tougher as they approach me faster.

"That spell is resisted by HP! Quick, turn us toward the mages' planet and go really fast!"

Actually, it would be even weirder if a spell were resisted by HP and in the mage's frame of reference, you resisted, while in your frame of reference -- where your mass is rest mass -- you didn't...
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #569
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Master Shimo's ritual was almost completed, dozens of dead bodies hanging up by hooks on the celling, and a drugged woman in the middle of a pentagram while the fat warlock raised his dagger aiming her heart to complete his nefarious ritual.

Thats when Baron Von Richtoften (yea lol) enters the room, sees the scene, in a flash he draws his revolver and screams "Not that one!" as he shot the woman in the head her brains were splattered around the mad warlocks face.

The mad warlock looked up to him with fury in his eyes and the Baron said.

"PREPARE TO BE OBLITERATED FATMAN"

ah good old days
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 AM   #570
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Damage in GURPS is roughly proportional to momentum, if I recall Kromm correctly
I thought it was the square root of kinetic energy.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actual play, funny