Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
evileeyore
Banned

Default I'm building a Psi power... ish - Vocal Stun Effect, Affects everyone who can hear it

So I'm looking to build it off of Rapier Wit, the differences: It will require Concentration, it will affect everyone who can hear him, and everyone who shares a language with him (but not necessarily the non-language that he is speaking), swapping from Public Speaking to IQ (Public Speaking is too easy to raise).

I'm tentatively calling it Glossolalia, but in actuality it is the language of the Elder Things, the pure thought forms manifested in vocal sounds (and colors, smells, ASMR, it's a partially Telepathic power).

So... my question is how do I build it? Specifically the "Effects everyone who can hear him", I've got the rest.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: I'm building a Psi power... ish - Vocal Stun Effect, Affects everyone who can hea

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
So... my question is how do I build it? Specifically the "Effects everyone who can hear him", I've got the rest.
Umm, that's like a standard Sense-Based/Hearing-Based attack/affliction (p. B109).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: I'm building a Psi power... ish - Vocal Stun Effect, Affects everyone who can hea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Umm, that's like a standard Sense-Based/Hearing-Based attack/affliction (p. B109).
Not quite. I don't believe there's a way to build an Area Effect attack that affects "everyone who sees/hears/smells/whatever me". You need to build it with enough Area Effect to affect whatever you think is a reasonable max radius and slap Sense-Based on it.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I'm avoiding Affliction as that path is insanely expensive. And there has to be a way that goes from "affects one target" to "affects multiple targets" easily that I'm just missing.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I'm avoiding Affliction as that path is insanely expensive. And there has to be a way that goes from "affects one target" to "affects multiple targets" easily that I'm just missing.
Really the only way to do it, like I said, is to buy a high level of Area Effect and add Sense-Based.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Really the only way to do it, like I said, is to buy a high level of Area Effect and add Sense-Based.
Add in Emanation too, since the Area of Effect emanates from the person speaking.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:00 AM   #7
Daigoro

You might want to check Sound Spells. I haven't got it, but I noticed Fatal Frequency in the contents, which might be a similar build.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
You might want to check Sound Spells. I haven't got it, but I noticed Fatal Frequency in the contents, which might be a similar build.
Huh.. I don't have Sound Spells yet... hang on a moment.

And that spell is not only an Affliction, it shatters the target.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
Refplace

I dont see a fair way way to do this without adding Area Effect.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I dont see a fair way way to do this without adding Area Effect.
I can see that. Start with Rapier Wit as the base, add Area Effect, Emanation... some other stuff... something to make it... eh.

I think I'll also dig into Afflictions again despite my dislike for them.