Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #11
zot

Default Re: Creating "nukes" with the Blast spell?

It's a cute idea and I don't see a way to plug the holes. I don't find the argument that "the spell would say that" to be convincing. "When the arrow hits" is a perfectly valid condition. But let's say that you overrule arrows that explode when they hit. That's really just kicking the can down the street a little.

Next, make a two-part version, 1) fill a petard shell with gravel, each stone with a blast spell on it that all trigger when the stone marked "boom" you throw later strikes the ground...

I don't think it's possible to patch all the paths for this one through "reasonable interpretation". It's a low-cost, conditional enchantment that has a ton of freedom.

TFT is just very vulnerable to Mr Welch. Check out the discussion here on implicit detection magic for more info about abusing TFT magic...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:00 AM   #12
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
It's a cute idea and I don't see a way to plug the holes. I don't find the argument that "the spell would say that" to be convincing. "When the arrow hits" is a perfectly valid condition. But let's say that you overrule arrows that explode when they hit. That's really just kicking the can down the street a little.
Thanks zot. I really didn't feel I was bending any rules on the one occasion I used this, and neither did the GM.

"Blast Trap can only be used on relatively small (no more than 20 lbs.) objects." Certainly sounds like an arrow or crossbow bolt qualifies. Next time I'll try it on a frisbee!
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:15 AM   #13
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
In theory, an army can employ a wizard with Blast Trap, powered by apprentices at $25/week for 25 ST/day, to crank out approximately one 3-die Blast Trap per day per apprentice - so something like $5 per 3-die blast trap.

That's definitely worth stocking up arsenals of 3-die exploding arrows and crossbow bolts
And if I ever write my TFT-compatible large-scale war game, I'll be sure to remember to keep that in mind.... :)

Seriously though, you don't have to worry about that because each time Blast Trap is cast it expires in 24 hours. Day 1's arrows would all revert to normal before you finished preparing Day 2's supply -- and I guess we should all be thankful for that!

And can you imagine putting time-stamps on every arrow? LOL!!!
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #14
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Say one Blast Trap doing 1+1 damage is placed on an item with the trigger condition being it gets picked up by anyone with green hair. Then a second BT spell for 1+1 damage is placed on the same item, set to go off if it's touched by anyone with red eyes.

But if a green-haired person with red eyes happens to grab the item, wouldn't they take 2+2 damage?
Actually, that would be two separate attacks of 1+1 each and applied against defences separately, not a combined 2+2.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #15
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Actually, that would be two separate attacks of 1+1 each and applied against defences separately, not a combined 2+2.
Yes, thanks Kevin that's actually what I meant to type.... (1+1)x2

Principle is the same: both spells do their respective damage.