Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #21
larsdangly

Default Re: Triplanetary-Style Map?

How do you get Steve's tiles?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:27 PM   #22
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Steve's solution is superb, BTW. His tiles are definitely worth taking a look at.
Thanks for the kind words Shostak! Was it your group was going to try them out in play last weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
How do you get Steve's tiles?
The PDF with a little preview is available here:
https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....ors-kit-steven

But if you message me your e-mail address I'd be happy to send you a free copy.

The instructions in the book say to print to paper and then glue the pages to card stock, but if you have a printer that can handle index card/cover stock it's much less work to print to it directly and then just cut the pieces apart. Didn't have my own color inkjet working when I published the book, but just got if fixed and finally printed my own color set directly to 110 lb cover stock. That's plenty heavy and it all turned out even sharper than I'd hoped.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #23
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Was it your group was going to try them out in play last weekend?
Yes--sort of. I did not get to print them in time for that "away" game, because I wanted to have them at 1.5-inch hex size and could not reformat the PDF to allow printing efficiently on 11x17 inch paper--the margins are too wide to print all the tiles on a page at about 170%. But I did print them at the normal PDF size for my "home" game, and I really like their rectalinearity.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:05 AM   #24
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Yes--sort of. I did not get to print them in time for that "away" game, because I wanted to have them at 1.5-inch hex size and could not reformat the PDF to allow printing efficiently on 11x17 inch paper--the margins are too wide to print all the tiles on a page at about 170%. But I did print them at the normal PDF size for my "home" game, and I really like their rectalinearity.
Yeah, the pages are very full so scaling up that large won't work very well. And scaling PDFs isn't always available depending on versions and printers. An edition in Legacy scale is possible, although far fewer pieces would fit per page, and some of the larger pieces (rooms and longer tunnel runs) would become impossible (at least on letter size paper).

If there was really enough interest in the set, I might make it available as separate jpg files for each piece, then the user could resize the jpgs more readily in PaintShop or PhotoShop, and print one at a time from those programs, or copy and paste whatever fits onto one page at the new scale of choice. I'll think on it all some more. I spent weeks getting the book ready at classical scale, and I need to catch up on other projects before I go back to that one.

Actually another idea I had was to shrink everything to maybe 1/4 size as jpgs. Then a full, virtual dungeon map could be created by just dragging the desired pieces around and pasting them into a large, new image. That's how I created some of the illustrations for the book, and found it to be fun.