Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #141
Hemlock

Default Re: Another 2000 Things I Am No Longer Allowed To Do In An RPG

121 : As GM, I am no longer allowed to use secret Nazi bases that survived WWII by hiding in the (Amazon basin, Congo, Antarctica, wherever), giant spiders attacking a small mining town in the southwestern US, Giant horned skulls being discovered by archaeologists or any other article I might pull from a supermarket tabloid as a plot device even as a hoax pulled by NPCs to get the attention of the PCs. Players simply don't believe that fictional NPCs would do such things; despite real world people doing precisely this.

121a: When researching monsters and plot devices for my Monster-Hunter Campaign, old episodes of Scooby-Doo are completely off limits ... Players are tired of having to hunt down the super-special Macguffin that can slay the evil monster only to find out that the beast was just some convenience store clerk in a monster suit who could have been killed with a simple 9mm hollow point to the head.

121b: Likewise with old episodes of Doctor Who (3rd doctor; Tom Baker is the BESTEST DOCTOR of all time). Players hate assuming the monster is a normal human in a monster suit only to find out it really is a monster and having their PC mauled by an alien being that is immune to normal weaponry, but vulnerable to the super-special Macguffin that they refused to seek out.

121c: When Players complain that I am a jerk for putting them in an impossible position, I am not allowed to remind them to have their PCs in a Monster-Hunter Campaign be more like private investigators than a SWAT Team. They hate being told what to do.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #142
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
121b: Likewise with old episodes of Doctor Who (3rd doctor; Tom Baker is the BESTEST DOCTOR of all time).
Actually, Tom Baker was the FOURTH Doctor, not the Third. But I agree, he's the best of all time. Only the first of the new series (9th Doctor?) came close.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #143
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Actually, Tom Baker was the FOURTH Doctor, not the Third. But I agree, he's the best of all time. Only the first of the new series (9th Doctor?) came close.
Yeah, I liked Eccelston, but apparently he didn't agree with the writers or something so he wanted to quit after the first season, and he now refuses to show up for the anniversary specials or anything. Tennant being Doctor for so long he was awesome, even though it took me a bit to get used to him since I DID like Eccelston so much. Matt Smith is ok, I like his companions more than him, hope that changes with the next Doctor this Christmas.

Also, NOW technically Eccelston is 10th, Tennant is 11th, and Smith is 12th, because they've shoehorned John Hurt in before Eccelston as the one that actually DID the TimeWar thing, but they might still keep with the established numbering since Smith said "He's not The Doctor, he's me, but he's not The Doctor"

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #144
KDLadage

122. I am no longer allowed to use Mr. Roark of Fantasy Island as a near omnipotent and Godlike NPC in my games... especially if he is to cross genres and always seem to be there (Fantasy, Modern, Space, Alternate Earth...)
KDLadage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #145
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLadage View Post
122. I am no longer allowed to use Mr. Roark of Fantasy Island as a near omnipotent and Godlike NPC in my games... especially if he is to cross genres and always seem to be there (Fantasy, Modern, Space, Alternate Earth...)
Dude, that sounds awesome.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #146
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
they've shoehorned John Hurt in before Eccelston as the one that actually DID the TimeWar thing,
That's not exactly set in stone...

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #147
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
That's not exactly set in stone...
Well, maybe I guess he could be the NEXT Doctor... he's definitely A Doctor, said so right on the screen, and considering that he said he broke The Doctor's ideals (forget exact wording) so that's why he's "Me but not The Doctor"... in a way he'd have to be a past Doctor for him to know what he did that was so bad, unless next season will be the "evil doctor" and he's got a future "The 12 Doctors" episode coming so that's why Smith knows about him? I know a friend of mine told me something about a Time Lord's last regeneration is supposedly evil or something?

But, to continue the main topic...

123. I am no longer allowed to rules lawyer a GM in the middle of a Pathfinder game because I now know how frickin' annoying it is to have a player try to get you to use some new fangled "mundane insect swarm" rules from a book you don't even own yet (even worse, he got it from the d20pfsrd website (which we do use, I just happen to own the books mostly too as sometimes things are changed on the website for legal reasons) where its' been modified to be more generic so isn't even what the book even really says) rather than the mosquito swarm rules from the core rulebook, then after that when you establish it's a MOSQUITO swarm and not a "MUNDANE INSECT swarm the player then proceeds tell you the disease rules are DC 13 for a mosquito swarm when your particular mosquito swarm carries ghoul fever which makes it DC 10 instead of the usual DC 13 for malaria (and I wasn't going to be evil and make them roll two saves for both, just the ghoul fever), as per the published adventure you are running.

124. I am also not allowed to say it's ok for me to rules lawyer him even if he does do it to me too.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 07-19-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #148
David Johnston2

Quote:
Well, maybe I guess he could be the NEXT Doctor... he's definitely A Doctor, said so right on the screen, and considering that he said he broke The Doctor's ideals (forget exact wording) so that's why he's "Me but not The Doctor"... in a way he'd have to be a past Doctor for him to know what he did that was so bad, unless next season will be the "evil doctor" and he's got a future "The 12 Doctors" episode coming so that's why Smith knows about him?
I'll take "The Valeyard" for 100 points, Alex.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:04 AM   #149
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I'll take "The Valeyard" for 100 points, Alex.
Well, maybe not The Valeyard, as he was an Amalgamation, but maybe he's like the one that starts to really get downright dark? Guess we'll see I know they've been doing some changes in the new series.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #150
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Well, maybe I guess he could be the NEXT Doctor... he's definitely A Doctor, said so right on the screen, and considering that he said he broke The Doctor's ideals (forget exact wording) so that's why he's "Me but not The Doctor"...
"My name, my real name, that is not the point. The name I chose is the Doctor. The name you choose, it's like, it's like a promise that you make. He's the one who broke the promise."

"What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."

"But not in the name of the Doctor!!"

Source of quotes

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote