Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
porkchpexprs

Default Rules of Discarding?

I find that I can't stop wondering about the protocol that governs discarding, if any exists. It just seems strange to me that the rules are so specific about players not being able to rearrange discards or even look at them without the help of a card, but so vague about how to properly discard in the first place.

For example: One-shots and monster enhancers pile up during combat, along with monsters themselves, and aren't discarded until after. Are there any rules that say how? Do people usually attempt to discard them in the order they were played, or can the person whose turn it is just choose any order he wants?

What about curses that force players to discard door cards, like classes or races? What gets discarded first, the curse or the card(s) being lost? The same could be wondered about cards like KTH. Does the Hireling and whatever he's carrying go first or the GUAL card?

I know that 90% of the time the order of discards doesn't matter at all. I'm not trying to waste anybody's time. It's just that sometimes, as long as a cleric is in play, the order of discards really can matter, and maybe even determine who wins.
porkchpexprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Rules of Discarding?

Cards that are one-and-done, such as a "Lose a Level" Curse, are discarded immediately.

Cards with an ongoing effect, such as one-shot combat bonuses or Monster Enhancers, remain on the table until the combat is resolved. At that point, the player whose turn it is discards all those cards, in whatever order he sees fit.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
porkchpexprs

Okay, I think I got it. So, in the examples I gave above, both the curse and the KTH would be "one-and-done" and would be discarded immediately, even before any cards that would be discarded because of their effects. Correct?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchpexprs View Post
Okay, I think I got it. So, in the examples I gave above, both the curse and the KTH would be "one-and-done" and would be discarded immediately, even before any cards that would be discarded because of their effects. Correct?
In these cases, all the cards involved are discarded at the same time, so the turn player would determine their order on the stack. They are one-and-done in the sense that all are discarded before any further action (playing another card, continuing combat, etc.) can take place.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
porkchpexprs

So, basically, my original suspicion was right. When multiple cards are being discarded at the same time there really aren't any guidelines. The person controlling the turn chooses how to bury the cards.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Blazinjsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchpexprs View Post
So, basically, my original suspicion was right. When multiple cards are being discarded at the same time there really aren't any guidelines. The person controlling the turn chooses how to bury the cards.
That is correct

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote