Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #11
xane
 
xane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: London, UK
Default Re: Traditional Mapping with Megahexes

I've just about had it with licensing permissions, with all the accreditation, non-commercial, etc, etc, nada, nada ... So I've done my own floor texture, which has turned out fine but obviously not as good as the ENnie winning professional cartographer who did the official GoT maps, but there you go.

Now looks like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3l3za37wp1...64932.jpg?dl=0
Credit: 3D objects by Fat Dragon Games fatdragongames.com), cardboard heroes by SJ Games.

To demonstrate the larger room tiles, replicating the megahexes, and how they are compatible with the megahex tiles from Legacy Edition:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ztj9qos8m...71223.jpg?dl=0

I've yet to use these in a game, so feedback would be appreciated.

I managed to get Dropbox to provide a download link here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/14lidqd4rd...ne%29.zip?dl=1

Last edited by xane; 07-06-2019 at 12:20 PM.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
xane
 
xane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: London, UK
Default Re: Traditional Mapping with Megahexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
... my Melee maps print on 4 sheets of paper instead of 3.
I managed to replicate the Melee Map and trimmed a little off the sides so it fits on three A4 poster style, then I gave it a background texture, this is the Indigo Room from Death Test:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/szm3cpmbdb...90503.jpg?dl=0

The map is just slightly wider than A4/legal size, about 0.5cm, so you don't have to trim off much.

Last edited by xane; 07-06-2019 at 12:06 PM.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Traditional Mapping with Megahexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xane View Post
I managed to replicate the Melee Map and trimmed a little off the sides so it fits on three A4 poster style, then I gave it a background texture, this is the Indigo Room from Death Test:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/szm3cpmbdb...90503.jpg?dl=0

The map is just slightly wider than A4/legal size, about 0.5cm, so you don't have to trim off much.
You do good work!

I posted the Squarehex thing mostly because Craig Barber (I'm not affiliated with him in any way -- other than by being a fellow member of Brainiac...) did some interesting work there years ago, and I thought it might save some time for some folks (including possibly you); not to detract in any way from what you were doing. Sorry if it came across like that -- definitely NOT my intent! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
MikMod
 
Join Date: May 2019
Default Re: Traditional Mapping with Megahexes

(Post moved to shadekeeps thread)

Sorry ��

Last edited by MikMod; 07-08-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Probably posted this in the wrong place
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:48 AM   #15
ecz
 
ecz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Default Re: Traditional Mapping with Megahexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xane View Post
I've just about had it with licensing permissions, with all the accreditation, non-commercial, etc, etc, nada, nada ... So I've done my own floor texture, which has turned out fine but obviously not as good as the ENnie winning professional cartographer who did the official GoT maps, but there you go.

Now looks like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3l3za37wp1...64932.jpg?dl=0
Credit: 3D objects by Fat Dragon Games fatdragongames.com), cardboard heroes by SJ Games.

To demonstrate the larger room tiles, replicating the megahexes, and how they are compatible with the megahex tiles from Legacy Edition:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ztj9qos8m...71223.jpg?dl=0

I've yet to use these in a game, so feedback would be appreciated.

I managed to get Dropbox to provide a download link here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/14lidqd4rd...ne%29.zip?dl=1
thanks for sharing, it's another option for the wise GMs out there always looking for new ideas and changes improving their gaming experience.


A question: how do you decide if the partial hexes are playable? I would use common sense (hexes are playable if the wall leaves at least 50% of the space free for the figure, eventually allowing movement-attacks toward only one or two directions).
__________________
VASLeague Tournament Director
www.vasleague.org
ecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:15 AM   #16
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Traditional Mapping with Megahexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecz View Post
how do you decide if the partial hexes are playable?
The dot in the center of a hex is a useful guide (if you need a rule and we aren't talking about pathological maps). If the dot is in the open space, the hex is usable.

The other simple rule is just that only full hexes are usable.

Any rule is an approximation of reality (as is a square grid), so you don't really need to sweat the details. If it bugs someone that they can't get all the way into that corner during a fight -- come up with a narrative reason why they can't or didn't. If you have penalties for being cramped and and forced against the wall, it's not because you're in a "half hex", it's because the corridor is narrow or that enemy is so close to you you'd be in HTH if you just shifted the hex overly half a unit. The map is not the terrain.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #17
xane
 
xane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: London, UK
Default Re: Traditional Mapping with Megahexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecz View Post
A question: how do you decide if the partial hexes are playable? I would use common sense (hexes are playable if the wall leaves at least 50% of the space free for the figure, eventually allowing movement-attacks toward only one or two directions).
The rule is if the centre dot us visible, the hex is usable, the White borders are there to accommodate figures in the half hexes.

The primary intention of these tiles is to retain the hex grid and the megahex grid as well, this puts a lot of restrictions on the mapping, but hopefully it can be used to easily convert a traditional map.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #18
ParadoxGames
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New Jersey
Default Re: Traditional Mapping with Megahexes

That is an amazing and novel layout! It's all so brilliant, how you did that!

I've been dividing megahexes in my maps so that only hexes and half-hexes are used. House rule: In half-hexes, characters have -4 DX.

This one map board is a circular tower only made up of 1.5" hexes and half-hexes.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...eon_D1_450.JPG
__________________
Daring adventurers are invited to join The Fantasy Trip Discord server: https://discord.gg/Z7AtdCe
Ogre gamers unite: https://discord.gg/VmfVkuh
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.