Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #1181
Tom H.

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknop View Post
. . .
Still the way people play RPGs is extremely different from how they play board games, and the nature of the games themselves lends far more to a slow-burn, takes-time-to-learn and get into play style than board games.
. . .
rknop's post really resonated with me.

For me at least, I really appreciate game systems and universes that are immersive and that I can invest in. Something that is playable and has depth is exciting.

The original Car Wars filled that niche for me. Though I never got into them, I'm certain games like Battletech and Warhammer also had that depth and length of appeal. And even in this "periodicals" market, there are still recent games that endure in this fashion. While no aficionado in its culture, X-Wing comes to my mind.

I think the market has enough angles to it that you can chase whichever one happens to pique your bias at the moment whether you're an individual gamer or a whole game producer.

It would seem absurd to me to drop one RPG for another every few months. Even those who have that capacity probably go back to their favorites.

Somebody will still make games that stick around for a while, and the people who want to play them will find them.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #1182
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
The flood of games continues to overwhelm distributors, retailers, and shelves, leading to an accelerated release schedule for many publishers as games get less time as a "new release" and get dumped online as fast as they leave the "hot and new" category.
God, this is so true... A company I won't name has been getting so terrible about this, that many of their fans don't even buy their books until the 2nd print comes around that corrects the errors that they have due to less playtesting and shoddy editing. Problem is, with our refusal to buy the first print due to it's shoddy quality, there will never be a 2nd print or even errata (since they don't release errata for their books until they are working on their 2nd print.) The company needs to up their quality control before it's too late, or they are going to go under. Nobody wants that.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #1183
Tom H.

On another note, and also in rknop's post, I've been wanting to comment on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
. . .
—
* Regardless of whether you like the aesthetics of the art, we took pride in avoiding things like making all the characters either white men or women in mail bikinis. We also tried to depict plausible weapons and armor, and match creature art to creature descriptions. All of which meant a lot of back-and-forth over art long after the text was a done deal.
I really appreciate the differences.

Ironically, in departing from some stereotypes, I commend the return to the use of more traditional styles of plate armor on many characters. Maybe it was vogue, but the way some editions of D&D tried to eschew the traditional paladin was a stretch to me.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still a sucker for a beautiful woman, and there's plenty more room in GURPS and DFRPG for one. It definitely doesn't have to be exploitive. I just love the female elf delver on pg. 10 of the Dungeon Fantasy companion Magic Items even though it's relegated to just black and white print.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen much feedback, but Brandon Moore definitely deserves credit for bringing a new style and quality to DFRPG and other products. Forums don't always highlight things that are easy to take for granted.

Many times I considered starting a thread to discuss our favorite pieces of art in the DFRPG, but never quite got around to it.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #1184
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
You live in Iceland, right? Perhaps it was extra added on due to differences in dealing with international versus domestic shipping.
There already was an amount for shipping to Europe ($50, IIRC) and to the rest of the world ($75). The $20 were in addition to that.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #1185
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
There already was an amount for shipping to Europe ($50, IIRC) and to the rest of the world ($75). The $20 were in addition to that.
Wasn't $20 the add-on price to have the PDFs included?
Old 02-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #1186
jcfiala

If you don't mind my saying so, it really sounds like you guys need to get in one or more professional project managers to go over your processes and help you get on the right track. I've been at software companies that have bad processes, and a lot of what you describe - run and fix the current crisis is the order of the day - is what goes on.

As always, I'm really glad to see how things are going, and I hope you folks made a profit.
jcfiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #1187
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Wasn't $20 the add-on price to have the PDFs included?
Until I saw this question I was pretty darn sure that I'd only picked the option to get the physical books. Now, what's more likely, I somehow selected getting the PDFs as well or a mystery fee nobody but me can recall?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:32 PM   #1188
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Until I saw this question I was pretty darn sure that I'd only picked the option to get the physical books. Now, what's more likely, I somehow selected getting the PDFs as well or a mystery fee nobody but me can recall?
There were certainly plenty of add ons, I got some extra bases with mine.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 AM   #1189
lachimba

Now discussed by Board Game Breakfast https://youtu.be/ELBFG7cx6Ho?t=4m41s
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #1190
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote: