Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: What's so terrible about Centrum anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeblish Nef?
Final mission had them trying to spread the virus from 28 Days Later to Homeline-controlled parallels.
Have you seen the Gotha hell-worlds? IMO, a much better version of the Zombie virus. I especially like the fact that the infected adopt whatever their local idea of "crazed blood-thirsty inhuman reavers" as a culture.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #22
CKayote

I've always considered the best non-"they're the other guys and we're good" line of reasoning is that the Centrum is mysterious. Homeline doesn't know alot about them, and they know alot about us. They're parachronic technology seems to be better and their actions across the multiverse seem to be incomprehensilbe to Infinity. People fear what they don't understand, and what we fear is always 'bad'.

CKayote@gmail.com

Last edited by CKayote; 11-04-2005 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo
CKayote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:20 PM   #23
ScottEllsworth

My group is pretty much starting to worry that they are on the wrong side. Homeline is:
Elitist - outtimers are 'just echoes'
Chaotic - Infinity does not even know where all the conveyers _are_
Scientifically behind - Centrum can detect transpositions _anywhere_ they can reach.)

They are currently hunting an unattached Centrum agent, and he is impressing the heck out of them. Unlike ISWAT teams, that seem to be composed of individuals, the Centrum group works together, follows orders, and rarely gets distracted.

The upcoming 'Eden Revolution' is going to really bum them out.

Scott
ScottEllsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #24
DryaUnda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottEllsworth
My group is pretty much starting to worry that they are on the wrong side. Homeline is[...][s]cientifically behind[.]
Which is ironic when considering that Centrum disdains rapid scientific progress, which is considered to society. I have to wonder why a culture of hyper-rationalists would consider a batter understanding of the material world disruptive.

Out of curiosity, what is the composition of ISWAT in your game?
Old 11-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #25
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryaUnda
Which is ironic when considering that Centrum disdains rapid scientific progress, which is considered to society. I have to wonder why a culture of hyper-rationalists would consider a batter understanding of the material world disruptive.

Out of curiosity, what is the composition of ISWAT in your game?
Because the answers might conflict with thier preconceved notions ;)
Old 11-06-2005, 03:51 AM   #26
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryaUnda
Centrum has a significant head start on scientific development, though they've also had one big setback along the way.

And my impression is that they don't have any problem with purely abstract scientific development - yes, more knowledge always good. It's just that they're fully aware that technological progress can disrupt society quite spectacularly if it isn't watched. And they think that their society is pretty good as it is. Having a perhaps implausibly efficient system of central planning, they can keep it tidily under control.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:00 AM   #27
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

[puts asbestos shirt on]

I know this is going to create kilometer high flames (or not, and I would be pleasantrly surprised), but here's my theory on why Centrum is "evil":

Centrum seems inspired in (Stalinist) communism. Yeah, with a much saner leadership than in the real world, but it has many telltales of it's origin (everything is centralized, with standarized salaries and positions, going against the official doctrine can net you problems,...) and we all know the general opinion on communism in the US
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:26 AM   #28
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab
Where "threat" is defined as "interfere with our monopoly in dimensional travel."

Coventry is *not* a shining star in Homeline's favor, either.
True, but one must note the simple fact that dimensional travel is dangerous. As far as Homeline goes, "the cat is out of the bag" and the bag is shredded beyond repair. Homeline doesn't want anyone else to get parachronics only because of the "Infinite Worlds, Infinite Wealth" mantra. That is a reason, sure... But the most important reason to keep others from learning about parachronics is much more simple. There are things worse than Reich-5 out there. What if someone were to just willy-nilly go to a Gotha parallel, then just willy-nilly head home. If you don't know why that would be a problem, then that further explains my point. The average person has no idea what a 'Gotha" parallel is or why it would be VERY BAD to go there. Keeping parachronics out of the hands of other worlds is very much for their protection as well as that of Homeline. Pretty much every Homeliner that has been to a Gotha parallel . they don't outright say it, but I'm thinkin' they probably executed them all and incinerated the bodies. That would be about the only way to totally prevent Homeline from becoming a Gotha world.

EDIT: As for Coventry, it's not ALL bad. They do have a nice setup there. It's not a "prison" like most people think. Yes, you can't leave. Therefore it is a prison. But, they don't just throw you in a prison cell and lock you up. They set you up with a new life on Coventry.

Pg B540 says, "The population also includes some voluntary settlers, rescued from crosstime disasters"

To me, this implies what I said above. There is probably a city or at least small town for people to live in, making it not really all that bad.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 11-06-2005 at 04:36 AM.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:42 AM   #29
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
[puts asbestos shirt on]

I know this is going to create kilometer high flames (or not, and I would be pleasantrly surprised), but here's my theory on why Centrum is "evil":

Centrum seems inspired in (Stalinist) communism. Yeah, with a much saner leadership than in the real world, but it has many telltales of it's origin (everything is centralized, with standarized salaries and positions, going against the official doctrine can net you problems,...) and we all know the general opinion on communism in the US
Hmm... yes... I must say... your argument has merit,I can definitely see the communist ideals to some extent in Centrum...

Now...

*Rips off your asbestos suit and barbecues you anyway*

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:52 AM   #30
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Because "Centrum" is a bunch of oppressive Collectivist snots!! - thats why?? !!???

And also what some other person said - they are just too darn close to Stailinist-style opression.

Homeline may be more "chaotic" ...but that isn't BAD ..its a healthier 'diversity"...then forcing diversity on someone.
.. In general any culture that suppresses individual rights and weirdness tends to be "bad".

- E.W. Charlton
...looking for a nice Condo on Coventry....AND putting on MY Asbestos suit in case of flaming....
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds