Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2006, 03:26 AM   #41
sabreknight

Default Re: Infinity meets ROBOTECH

Speaking of quantum... It seems to me that a universe like the Robotech/Macross one would be different enough from homeline to actually being in a different quantum.

Unless the recent Invasion of the Zentradi caused to to change quantums.....That would make it harder to get home with just a conveyor.
sabreknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #42
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright
So they show up with two examples of alien technology, a couple of the agents have been exposed to bizarre mutagenic energies, and they're carrying samples of what seems to be a biocatalyzed cold fusion system that can also be used to produce psychotropic drugs. I'm trying to decide if Infinity should promote them or lock them away for permanent decontamination.
The answer is "Yes."
"For your amazing discovery and recovery, we're promoting you. Now, get in that decon chamber and don't come out until we tell you too."
Mark Skarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #43
Ian Wright

The more I think about it, the worse things get for these people if they ever make their way home. They've also been exposed to the music of a pop star so indescribably bad that her singing caused mass psychosis in millions of battle-hardened soldiers. God help Homeline if the PCs bring a Minmei CD back...
Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #44
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright
The more I think about it, the worse things get for these people if they ever make their way home. They've also been exposed to the music of a pop star so indescribably bad that her singing caused mass psychosis in millions of battle-hardened soldiers. God help Homeline if the PCs bring a Minmei CD back...
Homeline uses a different CD format. Like VHS and Beta. But, Homeliners could easily build something to decode the format.
Maybe, if they're very, very lucky, the laws of reality on Homeline will change the Minmei CD into something less dangerous, like a disk of pure plutonium or maybe a copy of Fatal or even some Uwe Boll movies. And if the Zentradi were so stunned over a kiss I'm sure the PCs can think of a few other things that might cause them seizures.
But, I'm not so sure that Minmei is actually indescribably bad. After all, we have Yoko Ono and Rosanne Barr.
Mark Skarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #45
quarkstomper

Okay, the adventure is over.

I never did get around to introducing Lynn Minmei, which is somewhat disappointing. I once ran a TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE campaign where one of my players was a ROBOTECH fan, so I used Minmei as a running gag. Whenever I needed a pop singer to show up as a plot device or simply background, it was Lynn Minmei. I even wrote a song for her, a hideously sweet thing specifically designed to be a bad karaoke tune. And to include the lyric "deploy electronic couner-measures".

"My love is li-i-i-ike
A small white dra-a-gon,
Exploding me-cha fills my heart..."

Anyway. Back to the game.

Amber has been captured by the Zentradi. Captain Gloval gathers the group together and expressly forbids them to attempt a rescue. So they naturally do, stealing a captured Zentradi battle-pod. In a previous session, Hopper had gotten a chance to try to operate one, so we decided he could pilot it well enough, (with the other party members handling the controls he couldn't reach) to at least get the thing out in space and push it in the direction of the Zentradi fleet. They have to leave Betamax behind on the SDF-1 where he can run interference from the bridge.

Meanwhile, Amber has escaped from the shoebox with the holes in the top that Exedor has put her in and is running around the Zentradi flagship. She does battle with maintenance robots, stabs Bretai with a giant pencil and runs down Khyron's pants. Khyron winds up jumping on a chair and screaming.

Betamax is doing no running at all; Gloval caught him bypassing security to let the battle-pod leave and has confined him to quarters. He can escape at any time thanks to the plasma cannon built into his arm, but he bides his time, keeping in touch with the rest of the party by radio.

The rest of the party boards the flagship and manage to hook up with Amber. Moonshine uses her Magic Plot Device Mirror to teleport them all back to the SDF-1 where they link up with Betamax.

Major Street strips the Parachornic apparatus out of their conveyer -- a major goal was to keep it out of the natives' hands -- and hooks it up to a Veritech fighter. There is some debate about how to get the fighter home; the conveyer will bring the fighter back to Homeline, but located way out in space; also the fighter has limited cargo space.

They decide to let Betamax pilot the Veritech and the rest of the team will return via Magic Mirror. Being a Mechanoid Life Form, he won't need life support for the weeks it will take to get back home. Of course, he one of the few members of the team who hasn't had Veritech training, but what the hey; he has plenty of time to study the operator's manual.

Some things could have gone better. There were a few loose ends. Some were good loose ends that I can use later, like the Centrum agent who got zapped by the Protoculture Matrix. He'll be back. I would have liked to have the team arrange diplomatic contact between Gloval and Bretai, but the way things fell out it didn't happen.

Probably the biggest mistake I made was for the Zentradi to not speak english. Oh, I said that Breetai and Exedore were able to communicate with the captive Amber, either because they had learned english or had some translation equipment, but when the Zentradi were talking amongst themselves, I had them talk gibberish:

"Vor-gladda ban tzo Mi-kron-i-ans. Uff-da!"

Which was cute the first time I did it, but eventually I wound up not only arguing myself, (that often happens in my games) but arguing in Tongues with myself. Not a pretty sight.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds