Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
Ludo

Default Quick thougts on Infinite Worlds...

1- Maybe the Gotha virus (not zombies!) has got the Jump advantage? That would explain why it exists on so many different timelines... Frightening!

2- Over-simplifying the equations, worlds located in quantum 5 have parachronic coordinates like 5+0 or -5x-1 and so on. What if Centrans or other fools make a world slide from, say, 6+0 to 5+0... Would the timelines collide? What would be the effect of two timelines getting to same coordinates? Isn't Centrum actually planning such an attack on Homeline? Frightening!
Old 11-13-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
PK

Default Re: Quick thougts on Infinite Worlds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo

1- Maybe the Gotha virus (not zombies!) has got the Jump advantage? That would explain why it exists on so many different timelines... Frightening!
Not a bad idea! However, I'd say that (since all evidence points to the bubonic plague naturally mutating INTO the gotha virus) it would be better to have a catalyst with the Jumper advantage... some sort of bacteria or insect that naturally mutates the plague. Would be a helluva trick to track down and stop...

Quote:
2- Over-simplifying the equations, worlds located in quantum 5 have parachronic coordinates like 5+0 or -5x-1 and so on. What if Centrans or other fools make a world slide from, say, 6+0 to 5+0... Would the timelines collide? What would be the effect of two timelines getting to same coordinates? Isn't Centrum actually planning such an attack on Homeline? Frightening!
My first thought it, "Rocks fall, everyone dies." I would think that two parallels somehow "occupying" the same coordinates would rip apart the fabric of space-time and hose everyone. YMMV.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Pee_Kitty
My first thought it, "Rocks fall, everyone dies." I would think that two parallels somehow "occupying" the same coordinates would rip apart the fabric of space-time and hose everyone. YMMV.
That makes a real big Centran plan to foil!

First, characters understand that Centrans try to move worlds one way to push Homeline the other way. They fight back.

Second, Centrans seem to change their minds... They actually push another world towards Homeline quantum... What is happening out there?! And hop! They discover the terrible truth!

Another thought about Infinite Worlds - Why aren't there many people seeking to lengthen their own lives since it becomes really possible with infinite laws of physics (magics, psis, etc.)?
Old 11-13-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Pee_Kitty
Not a bad idea! However, I'd say that (since all evidence points to the bubonic plague naturally mutating INTO the gotha virus) it would be better to have a catalyst with the Jumper advantage... some sort of bacteria or insect that naturally mutates the plague. Would be a helluva trick to track down and stop...
Parachronzoid plague carrier Squirrels!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
mearrin69

Quote:
I think maybe it's the oversimplifying that's the problem. Without the books in front of me my impression is that there are several hundred variables that go into determining a timeline's coords - so finding two that are *exactly* the same is unlikely.

Of course, if you'd like to use it as a plot device, who cares about the probabilities. What happens though? Collision might just destroy them outright - with no story value really unless someone left their dog there - but some sort of merger would only be interesting if there was something different about the timelines - and if they had the same coords they should be the same, right?

Here's an idea. What if two timelines have the same 'something' number - like all of the variables add up in such a way that, even though the timelines are very different, they are somehow 'aligned'. Would maybe give you lots of nifty shift-realms and crossworld contamination that ordinarily wouldn't happen. Be cool if something like that happened to a timeline your team happened to be trying to protect - i.e. Centrum downshifts a fantasy world into alignment with your close parallel.

Of course, I'm just spouting off - haven't looked into the fake science of this.
M

[edit] oh, the Gotha virus thing's a good idea. Just to scary to think about really ;)
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:56 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

For those with access to pyramid, search for articles related to "Reality Quakes." You might destroy both timelines but spew pieces over many other realms, allowing some really confused pc's.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:04 AM   #7
Captain-Captain

Quote:

Only if Catbert, the EVIL director of Human Resources is actually the head of Centrum. ;)
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds