Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
benz72

Default Re: gurps magic's spells raw

Speaking of which... Has anyone priced out alternate versions of area spells that are fixed to the caster (or other movable reference) vice a patch of ground?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Speaking of which... Has anyone priced out alternate versions of area spells that are fixed to the caster (or other movable reference) vice a patch of ground?
I add a third type of spell, Emanation (in addition to Regular and Area). Emanation spells are exactly like their Area spell counterparts, except they're centered on the caster, and move with the caster. They cannot be cast as Area spells, and Area spells cannot be cast as Emanations. If you want both, you have to spend CP on both. An Emanation version of a spell can be used as a prerequisite for other spells as if it were the Area version. The drawback of an Emanation is that it has no "range" and it can't be fixed into a position, so I don't alter the costs at all.

Last edited by kmunoz; 09-08-2010 at 10:40 PM.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
Bruno

Hmm, like Create Fire as a big fiery aura sort of thing?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Hmm, like Create Fire as a big fiery aura sort of thing?
Right, and as with Area spells an Emanation can carve out the area around the caster so he doesn't get burned.

I came up with the idea when I was trying to put together a bard "class" similar to what I saw in Final Fantasy XI, and found that GURPS Magic on its own just doesn't cut it. Powers worked well enough but they tended to cost too much for what I needed.

For example the Windstorm spell lets you create a windstorm in an area with a calm eye at the center. The spell as written lets the caster move it around by concentrating. An Emanation version would only be able to move with the caster. Or consider Force Dome, which would result in a mobile shield.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
kmunoz

Here's the full write-up I made for emanations:

As with Area spells, Emanation spells affect an area. However, Emanation spells can only be centered around the caster. Any Area spell may be learned as an Emanation spell. The energy costs are the same. However, Emanation spells may not be converted to Area spells and Area spells learned as Emanation spells may not be used as Area spells. If an Area spell is learned as an Emanation spell, the character may also learn the Area version, but it is a distinct and separate spell.

The prerequisites of an Emanation spell are the same as the prerequisites of the related Area spell. Emanation spells may be used as prerequisites for other Emanation spells (according to the prerequisite tree for the related Area spells) but are never prerequisites for equivalent Area spells. Area spells are prerequisites for their related Emanations, however.

The caster may decide whether or not to be affected by the Emanation spell. Emanations follow the caster for the duration of the spell. Area spells cast at no range (i.e., centered on the caster) are not Emanations, and do not follow the caster.

A number of regular Body and Mind Control spells may also be learned as Emanations. The base cost (for a 1 yard radius and 4 yards of height) is equal to the standard cost of the original spell. These "Group" spells include: Alertness, Boost (Attribute), Bravery, Grace, Might, Reflexes, Strengthen Will, Vigor and Wisdom. Some Regular spells that offer resistance may be learned as Emanations in the same fashion: Resist Cold, Resist Fire, Resist Lightning, Resist Pressure, Resist Radiation and Resist Sound.

Finally, the Delay spell may be learned as an Emanation, but it will not "carry" an Area spell with it. Other types of spells cast in the presence of a Delay Emanation will follow the caster and activate when the Delay's conditions are met. This modifies the normal rule regarding Delay, which otherwise requires that the Delay (and its linked spell) be triggered by events at the site where it was cast. It is possible to learn Link as an Emanation. In such a case it functions like a Delay Emanation that can have more than one spell linked to it.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

To add examples along the lines of what Zé is saying, see Great Deflect Energy, Great Deflect Missile, and Mass Resist (Effect) on p. 9 of Pyramid #3/04 (February 2009). The general assumption is that such spells can exist, but they're not standard . . . they're the secrets of hermetic magical styles, usually reserved for wars and so on.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, magic