Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #21
Furabo

Default Re: Preference for Fantasy Games.

I'm quite decidedly of the "Tolkien-inspired" school of fantasy gaming. Most of the games I've run have probably come off more with the feel of David Eddings' Belgariad books.

Oddly, I find that I never seem to get tired of this stuff. Back in high school, others of the group eventually became bored with fantasy, and we shifted into various other genres--Superheroes, Sci-Fi, etc. This was fun, but of course I was always ready and willing to jump back into fantasy-land.

In terms of magic, I enjoy powerful effects (given reasonably intense and lengthy training and whatnot on the part of the mage), and I have no problem with the PCs, as "unusual" or "heroic" (relatively!) individuals encountering quite a bit of magic. However, I tend to dislike settings in which rank upon rank of magic users show up hurling fireballs in mass combat.

I also enjoy taking steps into different kinds of fantasy... For example, I once ran a short game in which the PCs were housepets transported to a fantasy world ruled by animals (they were recruited to deal with evil Nazi Walt Disney, whose "Disneyland" was rapidly becoming "Disneyworld"...). The trick here is finding ways to communicate the setting to the players. Everybody knows what the standard D&D setting is (or used to be), but getting everybody on the same page for Something Different can be difficult.
Furabo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy