Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
namada

Default Re: GURPS On Demand: Your Experiences

* Have you ordered GURPS On Demand books?
Yes. I recently ordered about 20 to update some old first-printing books to their latest versions and to get stuff I missed the first time around.

* If you did, how fast was the delivery?
As per above, I did 3 large orders, during the holidays, so each took about 8-10 days.

* Bonus: What other books would you like to see released as a part of this program?
4E stuff currently available in digital-only, though I don't want it if it doesn't have text on the spine of the book - kinda knee-capping the concept of a library of books there...

If you mean specifically 3E stuff, then as-is: probably just the rest of the "historical" ones...

If you add a GURPS Dragons-like 4E appendix to the books:
Blood Types, Faerie, Monsters, Shapeshifters, Spirits, & Undead
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:00 AM   #12
PL Madeira

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We've been running the GURPS On Demand experiment for a few years now, and so far there are dozens of books available through this print-on-demand service.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ondemand/

Today we are asking:

* If you have not, why?

Bonus: What other books would you like to see released as a part of this program?
1 - Yes. Most of my collection, actually. I joined the GURPS party pretty late (circa 2012) and I spent years waiting for the local Brazillian publisher to release the translated books in Portuguese. This ship sunk and I started buying everything in English, most of the books were out of print, so PoD was really convenient.

2 - Pretty fast. Two weeks on average. But the books stopped showing on the local Amazon Website (Amazon Brasil) and I never bought one directly from the "USAean" Amazon, so I don't know how quick it would be. Amazon Brasil also gave me free shipping for books over a hundred reais, which was pretty much every book.

Bonus: I would like to see GURPS Fantasy and other genre books. I'm not a setting enthusiast, so Fantasy is more appealing to me than Banestorm. And more 4th edition books overall, I noticed that mostly 3rd edition is showing up on the program (from 3rd edition, I would like to see Old West and other genre books that weren't "ported" do 4th edition).

Last edited by PL Madeira; 02-02-2020 at 05:16 AM.
PL Madeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:52 AM   #13
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL Madeira View Post
I would like to see GURPS Fantasy and other genre books.
GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Space are available at Warehouse 23 & Amazon (US), and probably through some distributors at other stores. You may even be able to order them through a local game or book store. GURPS Powers is available at Amazon, and again may be available through retailers.

I believe that these and a few other books were late reprints, getting printed not long before they began setting up the POD books. Obviously, they'd want to sell through their remaining stock of the reprints before setting up PODs of those books. You can check the Warehouse 23 page for any specific book; if it lists a Hardcover or Softcover as available they still have it in stock from its last printing and you should be able to catch it through a retail store or can order it directly from Warehouse 23. It also looks like they have added POD links to the Warehouse 23 page for the books available in POD through Amazon.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-02-2020 at 05:58 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:00 AM   #14
PL Madeira

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Space are available at Warehouse 23 & Amazon (US), and probably through some distributors at other stores. You may even be able to order them through a local game or book store. GURPS Powers is available at Amazon, and again may be available through retailers.

I believe that these and a few other books were late reprints, getting printed not long before they began setting up the POD books. Obviously, they'd want to sell through their remaining stock of the reprints before setting up PODs of those books.
I Already got Space and Powers, and I think both are on the PoD program (Powers was the first one I bought on PoD. Awesome book).

I wasn't aware that I can still get a new copy of Fantasy, I'll sure look for it. Thank you very much for the info!

Unfortunatelly, I will not find those books on local stores. I live in Brazil, in the northwest, far away from São Paulo which I think is the only place arround here I would be able to find a GURPS 4th Edition book which isn't a Portuguese version of the Basic Set.
PL Madeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #15
pestigor

1: No
2: NA
3: I've been playing a collecting Gurps since 1987 and I have a lot of 3e books, then When 4e came out I bought them as they were released (or as I could get them Hurricane Katrina paused my Gurps 4e buying)
The one book I don't have that I would love to get POD is Gurps Conan.
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #16
Blind Mapmaker

1. No
2. n/A
3. I'm not using Amazon for moral reasons. Would love to get them from some other service that doesn't involve the big A.

Also, I vastly prefer hardcovers to the extent I'd rather buy a HC book for 60 € than a SC for 30 €. Also I already own about three quarters of all the GURPS titles ever printed. In retrospect, I'm probably not the person you want to answer these questions... ^^;
Old 02-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #17
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
If you add a GURPS Dragons-like 4E appendix to the books:
Blood Types, Faerie, Monsters, Shapeshifters, Spirits, & Undead
This would be unlikely without some guarantee of sales. Those update sections would take quite a bit of time and money to assemble.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #18
beetle496

FWIW, my M.O. has been to buy just about every GURPS supplement, whenever and wherever I found them. It has been several years now though since my last purchase, and that may have been the two 4e core hardbacks. I just don’t find SJG stuff on the shelves. (Well, except Munchkin of course.)
Quote:
Have you ordered GURPS On Demand books?
No, but I keep thinking about it.
Quote:
If you have not, why?
  1. The price is not a bargain. The material is dated, and I don’t want to spend money on 3e.
  2. I really like to have a book in hand before purchasing. I am worried about the quality. Maybe after the first one, there will be more.
Quote:
Bonus: What other books would you like to see released as a part of this program?
I think what would get me to bite is having 4e on the cover.

Most recently I was thinking about Steam Punk. The 3e stuff is in color. The 4e stuff is in too many sets. I haven't bought either. Choice paralysis!

I just bought DF (from your Companion 2 KS), so hopefully that will scratch my itch for a while!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:47 AM   #19
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestigor View Post
The one book I don't have that I would love to get POD is Gurps Conan.
That is a good suggestion! I would re-buy that and the sweet solo adventure books if they were updated for 4e or DF.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:51 AM   #20
Anders

Quote:
We've been running the GURPS On Demand experiment for a few years now, and so far there are dozens of books available through this print-on-demand service.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ondemand/

Today we are asking:

* If you have not, why?

1) No.
2) N/A
3) Haven't thought about it, but now that I see what you have on offering...

Bonus: Any 3rd edition world books. They were amazing. GURPS Aztecs, Greece, Imperial Rome, Egypt, Russia, etc.

Edit: Ordered Voodoo and Swashbucklers and Amazon (UK) said that 6 days to Sweden would be expected.

Edit 2: The worked examples that aren't up - Monster Hunters, AtE and Action.

Last edited by Anders; 02-07-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote