Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #11
Chris Rice

Default Re: Ardoniraine

Well, Steve has already stated that Ardonirane is a distant neighbor of Dran, so maybe we’ll get an official map soon.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:35 AM   #12
Shostak

After looking around a bit, I noticed that David Pulver's Ardonirane: City of the Thorsz didn't have any reviews. The latest post on my occasional blog, Musings from Myriangia rectifies that.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #13
larsdangly

Cool; thanks for posting that.

Just yesterday I ran the latest session of my ongoing campaign, which is currently centered in Ardonirane (they arrived here from my home-brewed city after much mad-cap travel and adventures). They have been in the city of Ardonirane for about three full sessions now, and both I and my players have been enjoying the setting enormously. I probably would have enjoyed it even more if it had a 'City State' level of granular detail in the map and stocking, but what we have is functionally pretty close. Every street has its own character and opportunities, and the scale of the place is plenty big and diverse enough to support many, many weeks of gaming without feeling like you've seen it all before.

Our session yesterday is a good example of the usefulness of the book. All I knew about the player's goals was that they wanted to find buyers for some stuff they took from a rich caravan of camels that they captured after a messed up situation turned into a fight. But they didn't have anyone in the party with Business Sense. And one of their characters has already been 'marked' by the Disbelievers as a kidnapping target (they spotted him turn into a werewolf and run through the city streets in the middle of the night, so they'd like to put him in a cage and use him to turn others). Anyway, between a few card draws for rumors and NPCs and a quick turn through my GB Character Collection I we turned what should have been a half hour of boring crap into a wildly exciting two hour string of running encounters that included a close escape from a giant bug in the Beast Market, a street knife fight with a group of nomads, a brief duel with a hot tempered sea captain, a spy v. spy sort of situation with a pair of colorful thieves they picked up as a tail, all co-staring a wildly drunk dwarf merchant they saved from red orcs several sessions ago and then dug up in a local tavern. It was glorious.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #14
Shostak

That sounds like a blast! It hadn't occurred to me before you mentioned Gaming Ballistic's Character Collection, but card versions of the NPCs in Ardonirane: City of the Thorsz would be really cool to have.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #15
larsdangly

I'm a total zealot for cards these days. It is ironic, perhaps, because I think the recent fad of card-based table top games are insanely over complicated and crappy. But the use of cards as records for NPCs and simple ways of selecting random events, encounters, rumors, objects, treasures, etc. is awesome. For two reasons: it is easier and faster than a table or computer-based selection scheme, and it is fun because cards can be made to look and feel cool. So, I use my DoD and related cards every single session I run, both during preparation and at the table. And I agree that having a stack for Ardonirane would be awesome, both for the obvious application to playing in the city and as a more general resource for designing and running your own settings.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote