Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: New to GURPS, want to come up with a fantasy system, have some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treilah2 View Post
Yes. It does to the players, or else they won't want to continue.
It is a matter of setting expectations.

To go from 100 points to 250 points in four sessions, that would be (250-100, /4) 37.5 points a session. You cannot keep up that rate of advancement without rapidly altering the tone and feel of the characters and of their world on a per-session basis. If that's desirable, well, then, feel free to ignore my objections. :)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: New to GURPS, want to come up with a fantasy system, have some questions.

Quote:
Yes. It does to the players, or else they won't want to continue.
Weird. Most gamers I know expect characters to develop over the course of a campaign; not in single adventure. If I said I was running a one shot, nobody would complain if I didn't give out CP awards.

You could probably just figure out how many points you want them to have at the end, divide it by the number of sessions and give that out. It seems to me though they'll spend almost as much time spending points as they do playing.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
Treilah2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
It is a matter of setting expectations.

To go from 100 points to 250 points in four sessions, that would be (250-100, /4) 37.5 points a session. You cannot keep up that rate of advancement without rapidly altering the tone and feel of the characters and of their world on a per-session basis. If that's desirable, well, then, feel free to ignore my objections. :)
Well don't get me wrong. It's not that I want [or they want] to only play a month's worth of gaming, it's just that real life often rears it's ugly head and people have to leave for some reason or another. I'd certainly like to play longer campaigns, but what can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Weird. Most gamers I know expect characters to develop over the course of a campaign; not in single adventure. If I said I was running a one shot, nobody would complain if I didn't give out CP awards.

You could probably just figure out how many points you want them to have at the end, divide it by the number of sessions and give that out. It seems to me though they'll spend almost as much time spending points as they do playing.
I, of course, agree. Your second point I'd like to do, but I'm not exactly sure how many sessions there would be. That's why I asked about also giving CP out as encounter bonuses. That's a good way [I think] to hand out "xp" quick enough so the players can still feel like they're getting stronger even though we won't be playing long.
Treilah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I'd certainly like to play longer campaigns, but what can you do?
  • Game less: If you run your game only once or twice a month rather than weekly, people may find it easier to schedule it. It's a lot easier to ask for one day a month off from work (or even one early shift a month!) rather than ask for a day a week.
  • Schedule consistently: Try to have your game on the same day at the same time every month.
  • Expect responsibility: Make it clear that your game sessions are a social commitment and that if someone doesn't show with out prior warning; they will not be invited back.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy