Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Enchanted Tattoo

A living subject's own skin can be put under any enchantment that doesn't require a specific base item or the solid ground. (I.e. you will need to enchant the higher level of slippery floor and forget about Pentagram or Staff. Though there are wizards who glue actual powerstones to their foreheads.)

The enchanter needs the Master Tattoo Artist mundane skill (3 skill points for heroes, but doubled to 6 for wizards of course) and each tattoo covers about the same area as the subject's handprint.

The subject's skin then counts as a magic item for Detect Magic, etc. and the rule of five applies. I.e. no more than five enchanted tattoos (double the cost for each additional tattoo) and no more than four other magic items.

Conceal only works if you cover up the tattoo with clothing.

Wishing for a +1 attribute boost puts a mark that is very distinctive from the tattoos the Wizard's Guild uses so be sure to ask to put it in an area that's easy to hide rather than your hand or forehead.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Enchanted Tattoo

Very nice!
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
larsdangly

This is a great idea; I've toyed with several mechanisms for having living beings be enchanted. The functional result is not significantly different from creating a magic item that you wear, so I don't see any reason why it should be viewed as changing the game or providing an unfair advantage. But it is intrinsically cool, and we should all take every opportunity to make the game more intrinsically cool
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
platimus

Does Mr. Roarke know about this? Was the real magic of Fantasy Island Tattoo himself?

Kidding aside, very nice.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
hcobb

The Halfling Wizard did it by taking ST as his dump stat.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
JohnPaulB

In Smallville (2001) There was a gang that used kryptonite-laced agents to make tattoos. This gave the tattooed ones the Power of Phasing through Walls. It gave them several minutes time to pass through solid objects, but you had to be clear of objects when it phased in or you would end up having body parts stuck there. As I recall, it would work a couple of times before you needed to have a new Kryptonite tattoo. I could see that eventually, you'd be full body tattoo.

Which reminds me of The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. Some of the tattoos had the power of clairvoyance.

Also reminds me of Conan The Barbarian movie. Conan dead (crucified on The Tree of Woe) and the wizard painting symbols on him. This could easily be changed to tattooing. The entire body is tattooed with runes. Then the Revival spell (ITL p 33) done. So I'm wondering if an Alchemist could create the Alchemical pigments for Revival (ITL p147). Since it will use tattooing to help carry the spell, perhaps the Alchemy cost and the actual Spell costs be reduced drastically as they would empower each other. However, a Preserve Corpse spell would be needed to extend that Hour limitation on Revival spell.
If the figure does Revive, it now plays the rest of the campaign with full body tattoo.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
hcobb

Now I want Word of Command believe as a tattoo on my forehead.

Flip your hood back and say "These are not the droids you're looking for."
Old 02-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
amenditman

Reminds me of the Dragon Clan from Legend of the Five Rings CCG. They had tattooed monks with cool powers derived from the tattoos.

I played the tattooed dragons a lot.

Sadly, WoC bought it and ruined it.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
hcobb

Okay, WOC Believe on forehead, staff and black robes with hoods that only show their eyes, what else do the Wizards In Black have?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #10
Skarg

Can't you already do Words of Command anywhere even without special tattoo magic?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote