Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
hcobb

Default I'll show you my errata list if ...

Anybody else going through all of the errata comments and noting down each and every place the flaw remained (and those places new errors were introduced) in a bizarre obsessive compulsive frenzy?

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html
Old 10-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: I'll show you my errata list if ...

Well almost. I went through the book spot-checking less obsessively (I haven't been going through all the beta reports), and so far I've found several good fixes, some fixes I really liked that I wasn't counting on, and I think so far only one section I was really disappointed in (the part where it says
Quote:
The options available to a figure depend on whether
it is engaged, disengaged, or in HTH combat at the moment
its turn to move comes.
... but it has to mean "action" where it reads "move", or else you could take disengaged actions even if you find yourself in HTH when your adjDX comes up later that turn. (Mainly I'm just disappointed anticipating the continued confusion by others about what options, since it's always been clear to me that Wizard and Advanced Melee's Changing Options section was the only way it plays right to me.)

I was pleasantly surprised by the adjustments to:
* the wording of the -2 DX penalty for taking 5 hits (now affects the victims "next action" rather than "next turn" (yay!).
* the wording of the Trance spell (which is how I house-nerfed it)
* the wording of physicker healing per "mishap" rather than per combat (which I think supports how we always played it, per wound, but still leaves room for people who like per-combat to do that)
* the UC IV/V kick/punch effects got distinct uses
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
TippetsTX

Ha! I was just thinking about this too... I said to myself "Boy, I really want to know how much of all that errata that folks posted was actually fixed, but man, I really don't wanna dig thru all that myself. I hope one of these other guys will do it for me."
Old 10-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
hcobb

I want to do something about the thousand different rulesets for disarming, but next weekend I'll be prone.

For example:

page 106: A figure on the ground, crawling, or bending over to pick up a weapon is considered to face rear in all six directions; it has no front, except for purposes of determining where it may cast spells. For casting spells, a prone or kneeling wizard has normal front hexes.

and

page 116: Crossbows may be fired from a prone position.

But he has no front hexes to fire into!
Old 11-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
TippetsTX

So how much of the posted draft errors do we think got fixed in the final PDFs?
Old 11-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
hcobb

The process worked very well at fixing simple one-point errata, but did less well for logic and flavor issues.

I've only spotted three single location errata issues in the new text.

Several people pointed out the Light spell, Acute Hearing movement in darkness, two sabre fencer, two different talents for Astrologer, second arrow shots sequence, creation in the dark, learning time per skill point, and Immunity to Break Weapon problems between the listed examples and the actual text.

Most of the logic or balance issues I've spotted after the fact were caught by nobody during the process. For example that the prone crossbowman from the earliest days of melee can't actually hit anybody given the current rules.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #7
Skarg

The worst one I know of is the options section saying your choice of options is limited by your engagement state when you "move", not when you "act", even though I think/hope/pray it means when you "act" - i.e. when you actually do something, and not "I can't Defend because we moved first and I wasn't engaged until my opponents moved to engage me, but I guess I can Dodge and re-sheath my sword if I change weapons".

I also think the various XP and race issues are in want of revision in several ways, but I didn't really expect them to manage to fix that given their schedule.

Also there's a bit of an inconsistency between new basic Wizard saying you can hit people with any sort of staff the way you could in old TFT, but the new ITL saying it's a zap attack that uses 1 fatigue. But GM's can/will just have to make a simple choice of which way to do it.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Also there's a bit of an inconsistency between new basic Wizard saying you can hit people with any sort of staff the way you could in old TFT, but the new ITL saying it's a zap attack that uses 1 fatigue. But GM's can/will just have to make a simple choice of which way to do it.
As I've pointed out before the Spell Shield text WRT staffs differs between the two sets of rules. Wizards in Wizard are using two handed mauls.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:05 PM   #9
amenditman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I have them do it as a physical attack if that is possible, if not then use 1 fatigue to make it a magical attack. If they are defining their staff as a 'Harry Potter' type wand, then all attacks must be magical and cost 1 fatigue.
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:33 AM   #10
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenditman View Post
I have them do it as a physical attack if that is possible, if not then use 1 fatigue to make it a magical attack. If they are defining their staff as a 'Harry Potter' type wand, then all attacks must be magical and cost 1 fatigue.
I'm house ruling in some Potterisms to make the wand the perfect choice for the spell-heavy wizard to drop a thrown spell at range one from an unarmed start.

Speaking of which, what is the advantage of multiple levels of quick draw?

Last edited by hcobb; 11-07-2018 at 06:37 AM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote