Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
Juliansl

Default Re: DFRPG at School, the Next Level...

That's great to hear!
Juliansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
Tom H.

Yes, thanks for the update.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #13
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
This year I managed to get organized before the students showed up: I sorted and labeled all of the gaming swag. Here's a photo I snapped of everything laid out on a table (including dice and sample characters).
And it looks like you pushed two trapezoidal tables together to create a hex-shaped table?

Now that's going the extra mile!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #14
Dalin

Yesterday was the final session of the fall "Dungeon Fantasy" activity at my school. It went very well this time around. I even sat down with the group who decided that "high rolls are better" and explained why that wouldn't make much sense with the skill numbers on their characters sheets.

The most challenging conflict we had was on the last day when one table's rotating GM set up a Grand Finale battle against a mega-monster. One of the players had been awarded an "Arrow that Automatically Kills Anything" by one of the other GMs and they had a spirited argument about what to do about it. The funny thing was that the player didn't really want to use the arrow, he just didn't want the GM to take it away from him. He was like, "Look, I promise that I won't use it!" and the GM, retorted, "But you probably will. And it's no fun to even have the option!" I eventually suggested that the character left the arrow at home. That way he could keep it as part of his inventory but there would be no possibility of using it in the final battle. This mollified everyone.

I loved this for a number of reasons. First, it reminded me of the inane arguments I remember having around the gaming table when I was that age. But more importantly, it showed how invested they were in the drama and the world that they were constructing together. No matter how ludicrous the story was, they all believed in it to some degree, and wanted it to follow some sort of rules.

The icing on the cake was watching the student with the Arrow of Plot Destruction toss his character sheet into the recycling bin on his way out.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
The icing on the cake was watching the student with the Arrow of Plot Destruction toss his character sheet into the recycling bin on his way out.
Oh, that's priceless!

Tags
dfrpg, school