Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #21
platimus

Default Re: A dagger can defend, but a shield cannot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
I would add that if you defend with a shield and the attack hits anyway, the shield doesn't stop any damage.
Sounds good. Thanks.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #22
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
I would add that if you defend with a shield and the attack hits anyway, the shield doesn't stop any damage.
So in some ways you're better defended if you don't take the defend action than if you do? Kind of weird.

I wonder if you should be able to defend using plate armour and no weapon.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #23
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
So in some ways you're better defended if you don't take the defend action than if you do? Kind of weird.

I wonder if you should be able to defend using plate armour and no weapon.
Yep. My first choice of "What does Shield(1) do?" would be that it lets you defend with a shield. That's it. All other normal uses of a shield still apply. Without the skill, you cannot defend with a shield.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #24
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Yep. My first choice of "What does Shield(1) do?" would be that it lets you defend with a shield. That's it. All other normal uses of a shield still apply. Without the skill, you cannot defend with a shield.
But then almost no one would feel particularly like taking the Shield talent, since there are not frequent times that people have only a shield and their chosen action is Defend.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #25
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
But then almost no one would feel particularly like taking the Shield talent, since there are not frequent times that people have only a shield and their chosen action is Defend.
This is true. I would also make it prerequisite for Shield Expert (if not already; I saw no indication that it was). I might add some small bonus to shield-rushes also. Otherwise, the Armor Table should be adjusted to give higher DX penalties for Shields and the Shield talent reduces them.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #26
Skarg

Agreed. Since the new ITL says
Quote:
no “unskilled” use of this talent is allowed.
but clearly something needs to happen if/when someone tries anyway (this is a roleplaying game...) - there needs to be some logical rule for that defining the nature of the impracticality.

I agree that an added DX penalty for all other actions seems appropriate (I could see -2 to -4 depending on how little clue the person has), and maybe a -1 to hits stopped, like when wearing a shield on your back (seems like it should at least remain that protective, by comparison, as a matter of self-consistency).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #27
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Agreed. Since the new ITL says but clearly something needs to happen if/when someone tries anyway (this is a roleplaying game...) - there needs to be some logical rule for that defining the nature of the impracticality.

I agree that an added DX penalty for all other actions seems appropriate (I could see -2 to -4 depending on how little clue the person has), and maybe a -1 to hits stopped, like when wearing a shield on your back (seems like it should at least remain that protective, by comparison, as a matter of self-consistency).
Pick whatever number you want for the DX penalty. I'll pick 3. Add this number to all the DX penalties for all the shields on the Armor Table. Add a *Note: Shield DX penalties are reduced by 3 when slung on back at the bottom of the table. Let Shield I reduce the DX penalty of one's shield by 3 and allow defending with a shield. Done.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #28
BrotherBill

A shield is a defensive weapon, so it is in fact a weapon. You can defend with it. That is its primary purpose.
BrotherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherBill View Post
A shield is a defensive weapon, so it is in fact a weapon. You can defend with it. That is its primary purpose.
I always allowed defend with shields, talent or not talent. As said a shield is a (defensive) weapon.

I also allow defend with bows and crossbows for guys that use missile weapons unitil the last moment. The problem is that they are automatically useless and ruined (broken in game terms) after this improptu emergency use.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #30
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecz View Post
I always allowed defend with shields, talent or not talent. As said a shield is a (defensive) weapon.

I also allow defend with bows and crossbows for guys that use missile weapons unitil the last moment. The problem is that they are automatically useless and ruined (broken in game terms) after this improptu emergency use.
I agree with the...philosophy...here. But I'm trying to make the Shield skill more meaningful. If Defend required the defender to make some sort of DX check, I would allow it without the Shield skill...because you'd be making that DX check with a -3 DX check (because you don't have the skill).