Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Falling alone

How do you house rule attempted HTH vs the tripped?

For example Reptile Man runs up half-MA, tosses bola at legs, and if that hits (no saving throw), moves into HTH the next turn.

Does the fallen figure get a response to HTH roll?
Old 11-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Falling alone

I would say no. If you are on the ground all your hex sides are treated as rear hexes; can't you enter HTH automatically through a rear hex side? I guess I should go re-read that passage to get the wording just right...
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I would say no. If you are on the ground all your hex sides are treated as rear hexes; can't you enter HTH automatically through a rear hex side? I guess I should go re-read that passage to get the wording just right...
Page 117: "If the attacker jumped the defender from behind, or if the defender is unarmed and does not have unarmed-combat skill, ignore a 6 and roll again."

"When two figures are on the ground in HTH combat, any other figure(s) can move onto that hex and join the brawl, using option (a) or (j). No die roll is required."
Old 11-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
larsdangly

Well, that is ambiguous. I guess the approach that would be most in keeping with the RAW is that you definitely get to make the attempt (because the target has MA 0), but a roll has to be made if they are armed and generally able to act. You could argue that make sense, as a person on the ground has ways to fend off an attacker. It would make more sense if the aggressor had some kind of special advantage on that roll, but this is one of many places where you are probably better off not making up a new, idiosyncratic rule
Old 11-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
Skarg

We played that initiating HTH with a prone figure succeeded without a 1d6 roll. I thought there was text saying as much somewhere. No?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:33 AM   #6
amenditman

I had a Go-Ju karate sensei in college who used to do what he called the Eagle and the Shark drills with us. He would lay on the ground and have us attack him. Most of us beginners never laid a finger on him, and it was pretty rare for more advanced students to make effective attacks against him.

If your prone figure has UC III or higher and is aware of the threat/action, he could easily refuse to enter TFT style HtH combat against someone not also trained to that level of HtH.

Against someone with UC II or higher maybe a quick-contest with dice adjustments for different levels of UC.
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
larsdangly

You could go pretty far down the rabbit hole on this problem. If we were discussing GURPS I'd say 'let's go!', but the 'game-y-ness' and abstraction of TFT don't lend themselves to these sorts of situational rules. I suspect you are best off just accepting that every now and then something will come up in the middle of a fight where the RAW ask you to do something that you could imagine doing another way.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
RobW

Two reasons I'd give a roll.

p 116, you can always move onto and attempt to initiate HTH if the target is prone, but the target still gets a roll to prevent.

p 44, For UCV, the Throw attack, if successful, knocks over the opponent just like a shield bash, and then, "you may immediately move on top of them to attempt HTH". Attempt again implying an HTH defense roll is made.

However, p 116-117, since the target is prone, HTH defense rolls of 6 don't count and are re-rolled.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote