Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

Does anyone have any formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls?

For example:

A PC is badly injured (negative HP, but in hospital care for a month) rather than rolling perhaps 30 times I can roll maybe three times?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
Rupert
 
Rupert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellington, NZ
Default Re: Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Does anyone have any formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls?

For example:

A PC is badly injured (negative HP, but in hospital care for a month) rather than rolling perhaps 30 times I can roll maybe three times?
For that many rolls I'd just take the expected number of successes, based on the table on B171. The variability on 30 rolls is pretty small.

For say only a dozen, maybe roll three and take the expectede result for the rest if you want some variation?
__________________
Rupert Boleyn

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Tyneras
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kentucky, USA
Default Re: Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

Pyramid #3/65 has the This One Goes To Eleven article, long story short you can treat the skill roll as always rolling 11 a lot of the time without breaking the game, it just switches things to bonus stacking rather than hoping the dice are in your favor.

I use this anytime you can just reroll or take extra time, which covers a lot of out of combat situations.

So you could assume the physician always rolls 11 and go from there.
__________________
While I own the entire GURPS 4th edition library, it is also too large for me to remember everything anymore. Please forgive my lapses of memory.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
Prince Charon
 
Prince Charon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Pyramid #3/65 has the This One Goes To Eleven article, long story short you can treat the skill roll as always rolling 11 a lot of the time without breaking the game, it just switches things to bonus stacking rather than hoping the dice are in your favor.

I use this anytime you can just reroll or take extra time, which covers a lot of out of combat situations.

So you could assume the physician always rolls 11 and go from there.
Hopefully, you don't have a condition that reduces the physician's effective skill to 10 or less.

EDIT: That's probably a situation in which you don't use that optional rule, though.
__________________
Warning, I have the Distractible and Imaginative quirks in real life.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 9/20/2020: Frequently Asked Questions article has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:20 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

In high skill campaigns, waiving any low risk roll when the effective skill level is 16+ is fairly standard. In general, this does not apply to adventuring rolls, combat rolls, influence rolls, job rolls, or reaction rolls, but it does cut the number of rolls by 80%-90%. Of course, a routine repair roll (like changing a tire) becomes nightmarish in a hurricane (-6 to skill), at night (-8 to skill), using only your off-hand because your primary is broken (-4 to skill), and at 80% normal time because the water is rising (-2 to skill). At that point, having a 30+ in a skill can matter, as you can still succeed despite that massive penalties.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:03 AM   #6
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In high skill campaigns, waiving any low risk roll when the effective skill level is 16+ is fairly standard. In general, this does not apply to adventuring rolls, combat rolls, influence rolls, job rolls, or reaction rolls, but it does cut the number of rolls by 80%-90%. Of course, a routine repair roll (like changing a tire) becomes nightmarish in a hurricane (-6 to skill), at night (-8 to skill), using only your off-hand because your primary is broken (-4 to skill), and at 80% normal time because the water is rising (-2 to skill). At that point, having a 30+ in a skill can matter, as you can still succeed despite that massive penalties.
I don't think that's what I'm after

Specifically one thing I want to do is - when PCs are reduced to say -30HP, but live and have one month downtime I want to be able to say how much HP they will have by that session based on say their HT, expected physician skill of 14 and so on.

I could roll for each day, I could handwave or I could have a system of making one or two rolls to say PC 1 is at -5HP, PC 2 at -15HP and so on.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

I generally get out a computer program and use that to roll dozens of times in the blink of an eye. usually I use the nbos Inspiration Pad Pro, because that's my gaming random generator of choice*, but that requires a little technical work to make it do dice from its original form. It does let me roll an arbitrary number of dice though.

If I want to roll a really high number of dice (over 100), I'll write a quick program that gives me the number I need.

I've been meaning to publish an html doc that will do that for people one of these days. This pushes me to get down to doing it.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Now recruiting in PbP forum! -- Dreadstormers needs a replacement character (or more cast!)-- Special Forces with psionic powers takes over a battleship in space!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
Ejidoth
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Re: Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

There are a pair of interesting tables in, of all places, GURPS Zombies on pages 113 and 114.

Page 113 has a quick approximation of success (for low target numbers) or failure (for high target numbers) rates as simple fractions, intended to simplify resistance rolls and self-control rolls for hordes.

Page 114 has a table for approximating a large number of low-success-rate rolls with one higher-success-rate roll, intended for horde perception checks.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #9
Stormcrow
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ronkonkoma, NY
Default Re: Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

Average TL8 hospital, patient has HT 10. The daily HT roll will be against an effective level of 11. 62.5% of these rolls will succeed. Assume all possible First Aid, Surgery, and Physician rolls have already been made; all that is left is to recover naturally.

62.5% of 30 is 18.75, so on average, 18 of these HT rolls will succeed. Just assume that after 30 days, the character has recovered up to 18 hit points. Most normal humans would be fully cured.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #10
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

Most people are going to be sent home after they are no longer at risk of dying (above -HP) to heal naturally because there are limited resources. If we assume a HP 12 individual with -30 HP, this would mean that they would only stay until they reach -11 HP. At that point, they would probably be prescribed antibiotics to avoid potential infection and sent home to heal naturally.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
formulas, healing, repetitive

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.