Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
FeiLin

Default ... for an elf

Let's say there's a race that has a binary* advantage/disadvantage, but I want to emphasise that this particular character is "even more" of this. If it's negating the racial trait, it's just a matter of having the "anti-advantage/-disadvantage", but to increase it would you let the character take it again and let it stack (even though it's not allowed per RAW), do you invent a new ad/disad to increase it "in spirit", do you simply forbid it, or how would you solve it?

Say for instance a race has High Pain Threshold (some brutish Orc race, for instance), but I want to have the most fearsome Orc warrior around, and the human equivalents would have High Pain Threshold to explain why the individual has excelled where normal specimens have not (in the arena, in bar brawls, etc). It's technically stackable, so what would you say about this example and more generally?

* By binary, I mean either you have it, or you don't, like Catfall, not a discrete multi-level feature like Appearance or semi-continuous like Night Vision. I don't know if there are any established words for that in this context.
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: ... for an elf

For a trait without levels, you'd need to find or invent another trait that follows the "even more" trend. For High Pain Tolerance, consider Immunity to Pain. You may also be able to simply add Enhancements to the existing trait, like a particularly good climber from a race with Clinging might have Attraction (or a lesser version of it, if having a geckofolk hanging from a ceiling by his head doesn't work for you).
Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

I agree.

Much like Fit and Very Fit, Rapid Healing, Very Rapid Healing.

Maybe Very High Pain Threshold?
Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Rasna

GURPS rules are flexible. You can choose which rules use, which rules modify and which rules discard in your campaigns. An enhanced level of High Pain Threshold is thus possible, just increase the bonuses and the points required to get the advantage.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Anthony

Well, the first thing you need to do is define what you mean by the 'even more' trait; most binary traits should be something where degrees don't make sense, though GURPS has a bad habit of static traits that should be leveled. However, in those cases the trait is usually an implicit metatrait and you can get the same effect in some other way, though often at a higher cost.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #6
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
Divine Favor p.10 includes "Immunity to Pain (Divine, -10%; Requires Concentrate, -15%) [23]"
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:54 AM   #7
namada
Banned

In cases like this, where traits are binary, but should be leveled, I throw out the RAW case and introduce a leveled trait in its place.
Been doing it since 95'...
So much for, "professional" designers...
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:56 AM   #8
weby

As others have said: If it makes sense to have a "second level" of a non leveled advantege, just have it. I have many non leveled advantages be leveled.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Let's say there's a race that has a binary* advantage/disadvantage, but I want to emphasise that this particular character is "even more" of this. If it's negating the racial trait, it's just a matter of having the "anti-advantage/-disadvantage", but to increase it would you let the character take it again and let it stack (even though it's not allowed per RAW), do you invent a new ad/disad to increase it "in spirit", do you simply forbid it, or how would you solve it?

Say for instance a race has High Pain Threshold (some brutish Orc race, for instance), but I want to have the most fearsome Orc warrior around, and the human equivalents would have High Pain Threshold to explain why the individual has excelled where normal specimens have not (in the arena, in bar brawls, etc). It's technically stackable, so what would you say about this example and more generally?

* By binary, I mean either you have it, or you don't, like Catfall, not a discrete multi-level feature like Appearance or semi-continuous like Night Vision. I don't know if there are any established words for that in this context.
Very High Pain Threshold and Immunity to Pain can be found in Divine Favor and Powers the weird.

for a binary trait, I'd enhance the hell out of it with enhancements. E.G. For Catfall that might add Feather Fall +20% and Cosmic No Roll +100% etc...

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 07-17-2019 at 01:17 PM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #10
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
I agree.

Much like Fit and Very Fit, Rapid Healing, Very Rapid Healing.

This already exists in GURPS Monster Hunters 1 - Champions.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, races, racial templates