Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
nerdvana

Default Enhancement to remove Concentration requirement

We have a limitation (Requires Concentration) that adds concentration to powers whose underlying advantage don't require it, but I cannot find an advantage to remove this for powers which don't require concentration but the underlying advantage does. Independent is not quite there as it still requires concentration to activate. I'm considering perhaps ruling that this is a +50% Cosmic, but perhaps there is an enhancement I am missing?

This is in regards to a power based on Visualize. At the highest level (after the concentration time has been reduced to Instant - which requires 7 levels of Reduced Time, at +140% enhancement level) I want to make the instantaneous use not require concentration...
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Enhancement to remove Concentration requirement

Pretty sure that either Reflexive or Reduced Time will do this for you.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Pretty sure that either Reflexive or Reduced Time will do this for you.
So... reduced time to bring it to a second, then reduced time to make it instantaneous concentration, and then a final level of reduced time to make it a free instantaneous action?
Old 02-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
So... reduced time to bring it to a second, then reduced time to make it instantaneous concentration, and then a final level of reduced time to make it a free instantaneous action?
If it starts out as a Single concentrate - that's 1 second. You need to bring it below one second. Once that's done it can be used as a Free Action. A single level should work...unless I've had too much of this peach moonshine. >__>

Become a Patron!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
nerdvana

Quote:
If it starts out as a Single concentrate - that's 1 second. You need to bring it below one second. Once that's done it can be used as a Free Action. A single level should work...unless I've had too much of this peach moonshine. >__>
Well, Visualize starts as a 1 minute of course... six levels (+120%) will drop this to a 1 second concentrate, but wouldn't that be a full, one second concentrate and get the bonus on the next turn?

That is why I thought it would then be another level for concentrate maneuver and immediate bonus on the second action on your turn then another level to remove the concentrate entirely. I guess that's wrong? The thing is that the reduced time doesn't directly address the concentration question.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Well, Visualize starts as a 1 minute of course... six levels (+120%) will drop this to a 1 second concentrate, but wouldn't that be a full, one second concentrate and get the bonus on the next turn?

That is why I thought it would then be another level for concentrate maneuver and immediate bonus on the second action on your turn then another level to remove the concentrate entirely. I guess that's wrong? The thing is that the reduced time doesn't directly address the concentration question.
Once you bring it below a second it becomes a free action. It requires seven levels for Visualization because it starts off at 1 minute (60 seconds). So...

60 - no levels
30 - one level
15 - two levels
8 (round up from 7.5) - three levels
4 - four levels
2 - five levels
1 - six levels
0 - seven levels

Become a Patron!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker

You use enough Reduced Time to bring it under 1 second of concentration, and it becomes instantaneous, a Free Action on your turn. (Reduced Time 7, +140%)

You need Reflexive to activate the ability as a Free Action regardless if whether it is your turn (usually for use as/with an Active Defense). Reflexive includes a level of reduced time, So you want (Reduced Time 6,+120%; Reflexive +40%)

If you want to then activate it more than once per turn (say, to hit both sides of a Quick Contest) then you will need Compartmentalized Mind.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:48 AM   #8
Bramble Thorn

Quote:
Once you bring it below a second it becomes a free action. It requires seven levels for Visualization because it starts off at 1 minute (60 seconds). So...

60 - no levels
30 - one level
15 - two levels
8 (round up from 7.5) - three levels
4 - four levels
2 - five levels
1 - six levels
0 - seven levels
Why are you doing the rounding in the middle there. I can see why 3 levels is 8 seconds, but shouldn't you more fairly do all rounding of fraction at the end of the equation, so you end up with:

0 levels = exactly 60 sec
1 level = exactly 30 sec
2 levels = exactly 15 sec
3 levels = less than 8 sec
4 levels = less than 4 sec
5 levels = less than 2 sec
6 levels = less than 1 sec = "free"

So you need Reflexive 1 and 5 levels of Reduced Time as described above.
Bramble Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:20 AM   #9
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble Thorn View Post
Why are you doing the rounding in the middle there. I can see why 3 levels is 8 seconds, but shouldn't you more fairly do all rounding of fraction at the end of the equation, so you end up with:
Because of GURPS rules... p. 9, Rounding Conventions, states that normally you round up for points and round down for feats and that exceptions will be stated in specific locations and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Characters, p. 108
Reduced Time (+20%/level)
You may only add this enhancement to abilities that require time to activate. You can take it any number of times. Each level halves the time required to use the ability (round up). Once time is reduced to one second, a further level of Reduced Time makes the ability instantaneous - using it is a free action.

Note that you cannot add Reduced Time to attack powers, to traits that list any kind of special modifier that affects activation time, or to Magery (to reduce casting times).
Note the bold purple in that quote (which I added for emphasis. This is (a) the answer to your question and (b) fractional seconds aren't used in GURPS combat so it has to be in whole seconds anyway.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
Bramble Thorn

Yes, I know you round up points, and you round up the time, but why are you doing trying to do rounding in the middle of building the advantage? That way lies madness. You do not take a advantage, tack on an Enhancement, stop and calculate the point totals and round up fractions, tack on another Enhancement, stop and again calculate point totals and round up fractions, and so on, even though it says to round up fractions. You wait to the end, and then round up.

The hypothetical Advantage does not have Reduced Time 3, it has Reduced time 6, so why are you stopping to do rounding at Reduced Time 3? You are not applying the enhancements singly, or there would be the that monstrosity I was tacking about above. So I am saying if an advantage has Reduced Time 6, that is time divided by 64, and then rounded up.

So I see where the book says to round up the time it takes. Where does the book say to butcher the math?
Bramble Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote