Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2018, 01:58 AM   #1
Sasha Wang

Default Rule questions about tactical movement

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the tactical combat rules of GURPS and our group came up with a question during our last session.

Are there any restrictions of movement if a character is in the front hex of his opponent?
The situation is that with the 5 movement points, the two opposite characters were keeping circling to the back of the other and attacking from the back, while the attacked got no chance of defence. We felt it quite unrealistic and annoying.

We know that in many wargames, troops have ZOCs (Zone of Controls) which restricts the movement of an enemy if the enemy is adjacent.
Maybe it is mentioned in the rulebook but we've missed to notice it.

Hope someone can give some advice, thank you.

Sasha
Sasha Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:33 AM   #2
Gollum

Default Re: Rule questions about tactical movement

There is no restriction, but it is still anticipated by the rules. See "Runaround" attacks, Basic Set, Campaigns, page 391 (the box at the top of the page).
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #3
mlangsdorf

In addition to run-around attacks, you normally can't spend those 5 movement points and make a good attack. Reread the definitions of the Attack maneuver (Basic p 365), the Move and Attack maneuver (Basic pp 365-366), Movement (Basic p 367), and a Step (Basic p 368).

Summary: If Foe A wants to move behind Hero B and attack with a melee weapons, he needs to make a Move and Attack maneuver, and his attack skill penalized and is capped at 9. Even if he gets lucky and hits, Hero B can defend with only a -2 penalty which can be partially offset by Retreating. In the most likely case where Foe A fails to disable Hero B, Hero B on his turn can make an Attack maneuver, turn around to face Foe A (and step back next to him, if necessary because of a Retreat), and attack at full skill. If Hero B makes a successful attack, Foe A can't use his weapon to Parry on defense and can't retreat.

Assuming two equal fighters with ST 13 DX 12 HT 12, Broadsword-16, Shield (Buckler)-16, heavy leather armor (DR 2, 20 lbs), a broadsword (3 lbs), and a small buckler shield (8 lbs), where Foe A is performing Move and Attacks and Hero B is performing Attacks:
* Foe A makes a successful attack 37% of the time, which Hero B retreats and parries 50% of the time - so roughly 1 in 5 attacks connect. 2% of Foe A's attacks are critical hits and Hero B can't defend.
* Hero B makes a successful attack 98% of the time, which Foe A blocks 75% of the time - so roughly 1 in 4 attacks connect. 10% of Hero B's attacks are critical hits and Foe A can't defend.

In GURPS, in a duel, running around behind your foe is not a good idea.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
Sasha Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
In addition to run-around attacks, you normally can't spend those 5 movement points and make a good attack. Reread the definitions of the Attack maneuver (Basic p 365), the Move and Attack maneuver (Basic pp 365-366), Movement (Basic p 367), and a Step (Basic p 368).

Summary: If Foe A wants to move behind Hero B and attack with a melee weapons, he needs to make a Move and Attack maneuver, and his attack skill penalized and is capped at 9. Even if he gets lucky and hits, Hero B can defend with only a -2 penalty which can be partially offset by Retreating. In the most likely case where Foe A fails to disable Hero B, Hero B on his turn can make an Attack maneuver, turn around to face Foe A (and step back next to him, if necessary because of a Retreat), and attack at full skill. If Hero B makes a successful attack, Foe A can't use his weapon to Parry on defense and can't retreat.

Assuming two equal fighters with ST 13 DX 12 HT 12, Broadsword-16, Shield (Buckler)-16, heavy leather armor (DR 2, 20 lbs), a broadsword (3 lbs), and a small buckler shield (8 lbs), where Foe A is performing Move and Attacks and Hero B is performing Attacks:
* Foe A makes a successful attack 37% of the time, which Hero B retreats and parries 50% of the time - so roughly 1 in 5 attacks connect. 2% of Foe A's attacks are critical hits and Hero B can't defend.
* Hero B makes a successful attack 98% of the time, which Foe A blocks 75% of the time - so roughly 1 in 4 attacks connect. 10% of Hero B's attacks are critical hits and Foe A can't defend.

In GURPS, in a duel, running around behind your foe is not a good idea.
Hi, mlangsdorf
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Form your calculation it seems right that running around is not a good option in duels.
Looks like Move and Attack is a quite restricted manoeuvre, maybe because it is only 1 second for a turn.
It seems that I have to read the rule carefully several times.
Again thank you for your answer.
Best regards.

Sasha
Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Wang View Post
It seems that I have to read the rule carefully several times.
What really helped me was to write out the rules for the Maneuvers into a notepad and then make handouts of them for my Players.

By writing out each Manuever it helped to concrete the rules in my mind, and then the handouts made checking rules at the table faster and easier.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
Gollum

GURPS Combat cards can help too. And they are free.

But Evileeyore is right. Doing it by oneself make the memorization much better.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:02 AM   #7
Sasha Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
What really helped me was to write out the rules for the Maneuvers into a notepad and then make handouts of them for my Players.

By writing out each Manuever it helped to concrete the rules in my mind, and then the handouts made checking rules at the table faster and easier.
Evileeyore, thanks for the advice.
We're back to the school days! But it's a good method to memorise the details.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
Ultraviolet

Combat cards are nice, but has anybody made the extra options from Martial Arts for Committed Attack (Strong and Determined, respectively)?

I know it's probably not hard to make, but for me it'd be hard to make them look good, or anything the official ones.