Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Nymdok

Default 1e Tomb of Horrors Conversion

Here is the PDF

I was somewhat surprised that I couldn't find this module already converted. In an attempt to remedy that, I've begun the process.

In keeping with the way I normally do things, I've tried to make this conversion as flexible as possible, requiring only some party averages and some basic arithmetic.

Fortunately this adventure has very few monsters in it, so it was surprisingly easy to convert.

Soon Ill complete the monsters (theres only about 9 of them). And probably add them using the Notation that I discussed here.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=71254

In the meantime, Id love some feedback, especially on the layout. This thing sits at a squat 6 pages and I'd love some ideas on how to get that down to 2 while still maintaining legibility. If you'd like a copy in Open Office or MS office format so that you can edit it, let me know.

Keep in mind that this is meant to be a companion piece to those who still own the old S1 module (I have the Green one) and not to replace it. You can however still find a revised TOH on WOTC's Website.

Nymdok

Last edited by Nymdok; 01-09-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: 1e Tomb of Horrors Conversion

Can you outline the differences between the original ToH and the revised one? How useful will your conversion be, if I only have the revised one available?
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Can you outline the differences between the original ToH and the revised one? How useful will your conversion be, if I only have the revised one available?
The new one is set to a slightly lower 'Level' (9 as oppsoed to 10-14). There also appears to be more Saves versus the 'instant death' that is often found in the 1e adventure.

If all you have is the revised edition, and you understand the mechanics of that version, its a simple matter to convert using the same techniques Ive used. Its really just a matter of mapping the Damage from D&D to the Damage in GURPS. The same is true for the 'saving throws'.

Note that I didnt come up with those percentages casually. I figured what the expectation value would be for chars of a certain level and what the damage expectation would be for a given trap. Using that percentage I mapped it to 2xHP under the assumption that at -1 HP most people are largely out of the fight.

Similarly, I took the saving thorws for one of each class (F, T, MU, C) and averaged those together. Then I mapped that to a 3d6 probability and I allow the GM to decide what that success roll should be. For example, should a spring trap be a Roll vs Dodge or Per to avoid? I map the difficulty at 60% success, which is an 11 or less, and let the GM decide which is more suitable, and apply the modifiers from there.

For the record, if someone was familiar enough with the mechanics used in the revised version, Id LOVE to see a conversion done with that system and compare them. 1e books are all Ive got though :)

Nymdok
Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
The new one is set to a slightly lower 'Level' (9 as oppsoed to 10-14). There also appears to be more Saves versus the 'instant death' that is often found in the 1e adventure.

If all you have is the revised edition, and you understand the mechanics of that version, its a simple matter to convert using the same techniques Ive used. Its really just a matter of mapping the Damage from D&D to the Damage in GURPS. The same is true for the 'saving throws'.

Note that I didnt come up with those percentages casually. I figured what the expectation value would be for chars of a certain level and what the damage expectation would be for a given trap. Using that percentage I mapped it to 2xHP under the assumption that at -1 HP most people are largely out of the fight.

Similarly, I took the saving thorws for one of each class (F, T, MU, C) and averaged those together. Then I mapped that to a 3d6 probability and I allow the GM to decide what that success roll should be. For example, should a spring trap be a Roll vs Dodge or Per to avoid? I map the difficulty at 60% success, which is an 11 or less, and let the GM decide which is more suitable, and apply the modifiers from there.

For the record, if someone was familiar enough with the mechanics used in the revised version, Id LOVE to see a conversion done with that system and compare them. 1e books are all Ive got though :)

Nymdok
I've played more 3rd ed than 2nd ed (and 1st ed and OD&D were before my time), so I might give it a try. The thing to consider, for a D&D 3rd ed game, is that you can gauge it for the typical 4 man party, but a bunch of heavily optimized munchkins that use whatever came in the latest book will trounce whatever you've put there.

Saves:

Let's see, at level 9, the favored saves get a +6, while the non-favored saves get a +3. You also get to add an attribute (usually between +0 and +6 at this level) and you probably have an item that gives you a bonus +1 to saves. If someone has multiclassed, or taken prestige classes, then he will have even higher saves (as per RAW). This means that the expected saves will range from +4 (Fighter, Will) to 13 (Rogue, Reflexes), that we can average at +9.

Save DCs:

A quick check shows that most saves are DC 22-23, meaning that they will be effective 45-50% of the time against a delver's maxed save, and effective 90% of the time against a delver's ignored save. In order to replicate this, I recommend that you pick the dodge, and reduce it to 9-10 via penalties, for those traps that can be dodged, and take the best will and HT, and do the same.

Skills:

A delver gets an attribute bonus (+0 to +6), plus his skill ranks (min 0, max of level+3 if it's a class skill, (Level+3)/2 if it's not) plus about a +1 gear bonus, plus maybe a +1 magical or luck bonus. Thus an optimized rogue will have 12 (Skill ranks)+6 (Dex)+2 (Gear+magic) for a total of +20. This makes most traps extremely easy to disable, at the listed DCs.

Skill DCs:
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Bruno

For 3e DCs, I tend to roughly eyeball DC 10 as +5 to skill in GURPS, and every +2 to DC in D&D as -1 in GURPS.

The rationale is that DC 10 checks are ~50/50 for an untrained character with no attribute bonus, and +5 is a good "average" for counterbalancing a Default penalty in GURPS, bringing a stat 10 character up to ~50/50.

+2 D&D DC ~= -1 GURPS Skill/Attribute is produced by eyeballing things.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
PPoS

I think that what Kromm has to say about this might be of help.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
...trounce ...
This word should never be associated with 1E Tomb of Horrors. :)
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
This word should never be associated with 1E Tomb of Horrors. :)
Yeah there is a lot of 'sooner than instant' death in there. Its one of the things that made me realize how easy it would be to convert. No roll, no mechanic, no conversion :)

Nymdok

Tags
balance, conversion, tomb of horrors