Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Whitestreak

Default Black Tide Rising based gaming

I've just finished reading John Ringo's "Islands of Rage and Hope," the third book in his Black Tide Rising series.

This is a zombie apocalypse series, with the other two books, "Under a Graveyard Sky" and "To Sail a Darkling Sea."

What I'm looking for is an RPG which can handle zombie combat fairly easily.

Among the games I already own, and am considering, are:

Twilight 2000
GURPS
Basic Roleplaying
Traveller (I have all the versions, just not sure which one I might use.)

Anyone have any thoughts about the above possibilities, or have another system they prefer for something like this?

I appreciate any feed back or suggestions.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
RevBob

Default Re: Black Tide Rising based gaming

All Flesh Must Be Eaten is notably absent from that list.

Oh, and don't forget that Ringo's fourth/final book in that series is slated to come out in mid-December or early January - depending on whether you prefer electrons or dead Ents.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Whitestreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
All Flesh Must Be Eaten is notably absent from that list.

Oh, and don't forget that Ringo's fourth/final book in that series is slated to come out in mid-December or early January - depending on whether you prefer electrons or dead Ents.
Forgot about AFMBE!

I'm hoping that if it is, indeed, the final book, they find the cause of the Infection.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Whitestreak

OK, I've been working on this and I've scraped off the numbers.

The campaign will be an optional choice for the PCs. I'll get to this later.

It will kinda follow except for:

The infected are not victims of a plague. They are victims of an alien spore form which takes up residence in the host. The parasite begins to take over basic body functions with a prime drive to survive. The infected will eat anything, with the following priorities: non-infected sentients, non-sentients, other infected.

Between 10 months to a year, surviving infecteds seek shelter while the parasite changes form. Within 2 weeks, the host body dies, then the parasite emerges, eating the host body. The parasite then begins to hunt.

The more the parasite eats, the larger it gets. Upon doubling in size to about 1m in length, the parasite then hibernates.

Within 3 weeks, hibernation ends. The resulting creature is formidable and continues it's hunting ways. As it grows, it gets smarter. About the time the hunter reaches human size, it has human intelligence - at this point, it's intense aggression has faded. By the time it reaches 4m in size, they've gotten close to the top intelligence score possible.

Civilizations form.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
Whitestreak

The parasite's host can be killed, but to kill the parasite requires incineration of the bodies.

All forms after the parasite can killed, but with size and intelligence growth, they become more dangerous. With human intelligence, they become fierce opponents.

One thing I'm stuck upon is finding a system that can support the creation of the alien I've mentioned. Any suggestions beyond GURPS?
Old 10-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestreak View Post
...One thing I'm stuck upon is finding a system that can support the creation of the alien I've mentioned. Any suggestions beyond GURPS?
Any particular reason to look beyond GURPS?
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
Whitestreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Some of my potential player group are anti-GURPS - I don't understand it, but they are.

I'm peeking at HERO, but I'm not sure.

One of the reasons I was initially looking at Twilight 2000 was the fairly enjoyable combat system.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestreak View Post
Some of my potential player group are anti-GURPS - I don't understand it, but they are.
There are a lot of reasons people don't like GURPS. I'll list a bunch that I've encountered (and asterisk those that are part of why I quit playing GURPS)
  • Point based
  • Buy the cause rather than the effect*
  • imbalance between attributes and skills leading to higher atts than the concept calls for *
  • Nature of the various paranormal rules
  • 4 attributes (5 counting Move) are not enough
  • The combat mechanics
  • The 1 second combat round*
  • The extremely narrow skills, and many many of them*
  • The complexity of the Vehicle rules
  • The limits on disads
  • The smug "one true way" preaching of certain hardcore fants* (But this isn't unique to GURPS)
  • The massive piles of books
  • The artwork (I don't really get this one, but I know people who cite it)
  • That it's by SJG. (I don't know what put the burr under certain people's bottoms on this one, but I've seen a lot of people with a hate on for SJG in total)

I'm certain I've missed a few. A former roommate of mine is one of the really annoying "GURPS is the One True Way" types. He's made about a dozen GURPS haters by trying to use GURPS when other game engines would have been better. (EG: trying to do GURPS Toon... and GURPS Cheech and Chong...)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
cmdrpowers

I am setting up all of the materials to run a Black Tide Rising: New Orleans game using the FATE Core system. While not authorized by John Ringo or Baen Books, the game will be open to my players and no proceeds will acrue. Perhaps in the future and arrangement can be made with John Ringo and Baen Books, but until then, this is just a test.

All of the game details are based on the H7D3 virus and world created by John Ringo and his associated fellow authors.

The FATE Core system is simple to organize and play. It is well-suited to demolishing hordes of Zed and still allow for interpersonal actions.

The game will most like debut at the D4 Gaming Cafe in New Orleans within the next several months.
cmdrpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #10
Whitestreak

Forgot about this thread.

It looks like they're more in favor of the "Black Tide Rising" setting than anything else (it only nearly four years to get to this point.)

The setting will be slightly northwest of El Paso, TX. Desert, mountains, and proximity to Ft. Bliss - home of the 1st Armored Division.

I've actually settled on using Savage Worlds, which we just finished using for a Weird War II campaign, although it'll be after summer before we kick it off.

I need to get everything set up for the campaign, after all.