Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #81
Michele

Default Re: Centrum Light, Homeline Dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That would mean ours is a weird parallel with how near impossible it is to keep such secrets secret for long.
I have followed this conversation and it's very interesting under several respects. But I'm not sure I understand your point above.
You think that in our parallel terrible secrets cannot be kept for long... because we do not know about terrible secrets existing in our parallel that are successfully kept?
Old 11-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #82
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That attitude supports the unreality argument. .
Just the opposite. If you treat people of other realities with the same care or lack of same that you would people from your own who pose the same perceived threat, then you aren't deprecating their validity. And the truth is Homeline could be a heck of a lot worse. They could just go full 18th century and virtually effortlessly take over hundreds of realities too underdeveloped to put up a credible fight while moving into the more developed places and playing the local powers against each other to establish dominance. Instead Homeline usually just trades with them, committing no local crime more serious than operating under false identities. The notable exception is an exception. The other adventurers who play "Man Who Would Be King" are handled as criminals when they can be found.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 11-06-2017 at 12:24 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #83
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Just the opposite. If you treat people of other realities with the same care or lack of same that you would people from your own who pose the same perceived threat, then you aren't deprecating their validity. And the truth is Homeline could be a heck of a lot worse. They could just go full 18th century and virtually effortlessly take over hundreds of realities too underdeveloped to put up a credible fight while moving into the more developed places and playing the local powers against each other to establish. Instead Homeline usually just trades with them, committing no local crime more serious than operating under false identities. The notable exception is an exception. The other adventurers who play "Man Who Would Be King" are handled as criminals when they can be found.
There seems to be a miscommunication. I'm not implying that humans treat distant humans as very real. I'm implying that humans treat other humans outside the monkeysphere as already not 100% real, and those outside their state and/or faction(s) as even less real. Those beyond even the planet? So deep in the 'unreal' that it'll take a huge effort to make 'us' treat them as part of the 200ish people we consider really real.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #84
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I have followed this conversation and it's very interesting under several respects. But I'm not sure I understand your point above.
You think that in our parallel terrible secrets cannot be kept for long... because we do not know about terrible secrets existing in our parallel that are successfully kept?
Vast global conspiracies don't work in the real world. But obviously one does in Homeline. I think that may make ours "weird" from their perspective.
Something always happens to spill the beans here.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #85
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Vast global conspiracies don't work in the real world. But obviously one does in Homeline. I think that may make ours "weird" from their perspective.
Something always happens to spill the beans here.
There's no conspiracy on Homeline though, everybody there knows about parachronics.

It also seems to be less than fully effective even on other worlds.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #86
Flyndaran
Untagged

They know of it, but the strangle hold on the technology, and how every nation goes along with it for "secret reasons" that the public and us don't know is a conspiracy.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #87
AlexanderHowl

They go along with it because everyone is making a butt ton of money looting infinity. In addition, there is probably an implicit threat that nuking from parallel realities would occur if any nation did not keep the pact. It is not that difficult to imagine a skilled Jumper dropping off a tactical nuke in the capital building of any non-compliant nation before jumping to another parallel.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #88
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I can't see Centrum defeating the zone minds with a brute force approach. Centrum's best approach would be to trigger a global civil war to weaken the zone minds first. Possibly using VIRUS as was mentioned in an earlier post.
Why bother?

That's the nasty thing, or a nasty thing, about parachronics. If you know the location of your target on the other Earth, you just go to the matching location with a nuke, shoot it across in an automated conveyor, and goodbye to all that. If your target doesn't know about the possibility, his first warning of trouble is when the nuke materializes inside his fortress.

Even AI reaction speeds won't help Overmind much if a nuke appears out of thin air in the middle of its AI citadel. Centrum could probably erase all the Zoneminds in one stroke that way. Orbital and Luna would be more work and time to get set up, but not any harder in principle.

The only limiting factor, really, is data. Centrum (or Homeline) would want to make sure they had tagged the real locations of the AI complexes and the backup bases, if they were shooting for a decapitation strike. So they'd have agents on the ground confirming that stuff, but when the time came, unless somebody told the AIs about parachronics, the robots are effectively defenseless.

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 11-06-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:52 PM   #89
warellis

So regarding Centrum & Homeline, how will either react to finding out Merlin-1 is exploring the worldlines now?

Do we know if gate spells have the same limitations as the parachronic conveyors?
warellis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #90
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
They go along with it because everyone is making a butt ton of money looting infinity. In addition, there is probably an implicit threat that nuking from parallel realities would occur if any nation did not keep the pact. It is not that difficult to imagine a skilled Jumper dropping off a tactical nuke in the capital building of any non-compliant nation before jumping to another parallel.
That would pretty much guarantee that many large nations have secret missions to gain their own jumpers and non-technological means of interdimensional travel.
Threatening people with mass murder and destruction of all they love and know never cows them for long. They will find ways to fight back... to try to destroy everything you love and know.
Humans are nothing if not consistent in that regard.

Tags
infinite worlds