Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Troy

Default X-Men Edition

Hey everybody,

Munchkin: X-Men Edition is my first experience with this game and I just wanted to say that we all love it! I'm a huge lifelong X-Men fan and that has rubbed off on my daughters. I bought this game and asked them to play with me for Father's Day and it's been our go-to game ever since. We play at least three times a week. I think our only source of consternation is that it doesn't accommodate more people (I have four daughters, plus myself and my eldest daughter's boyfriend); we take turns.

I'll use this thread for any rules questions we might have in the future. Thus far we've been able to get by using the rules and the cards' text.

Question: The Brood says "Hive mind! Each player may discard one card to give the Brood +3."

Do you think this is as literal as it says: Each of us discards so the Brood gets a +3 or do you think that each of us can discard a card to add a +3 for each discard?

And another one: How many cards can each player play on behalf of a monster? We've just been playing as many as we need to in games of brinksmanship. I didn't know if there was a limit to once per combat per player or anything like that. What do y'all think?

Thank you so much for your time. And thanks to the developers/designers for such an awesome game. I'm eagerly awaiting the Deadpool Expansion and any other expansions I can get in the future (Excalibur? Dark Phoenix Saga? Days of Future Past? All New, All Different!)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: X-Men Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Hey everybody,

[b]I think our only source of consternation is that it doesn't accommodate more people (I have four daughters, plus myself and my eldest daughter's boyfriend); we take turns.
Quote:
I'm eagerly awaiting the Deadpool Expansion and any other expansions I can get in the future
I highly recommend looking for Munchkin Marvel to solve this problem. It's a full-sized Munchkin designed for 3-6 players and blends perfectly with X-Men. There are also already two expansions available for it.

Quote:
I'll use this thread for any rules questions we might have in the future. Thus far we've been able to get by using the rules and the cards' text.
Check out the Munchkin 101 Forum for the best place to find/ask basic Munchkin questions like these.

Question: The Brood says "Hive mind! Each player may discard one card to give the Brood +3."

Quote:
Do you think this is as literal as it says: Each of us discards so the Brood gets a +3 or do you think that each of us can discard a card to add a +3 for each discard?
I'll have to defer on this one. Usually the cards are very literal, but English is a funny language and both interpretations are valid (but only one is correct). ;-)

Quote:
How many cards can each player play on behalf of a monster? We've just been playing as many as we need to in games of brinksmanship. I didn't know if there was a limit to once per combat per player or anything like that. What do y'all think?
There is no limit, you can apply as many as you want. Part of the fun of Munchkin is stacking up multiple cards during a combat (on both sides) to make some ridiculous numbers. Seeing a Monster with a combined +20-30 extra points is not uncommon, especially with full-sized Core games (like Munchkin Marvel). :-)
Old 07-09-2017, 02:31 AM   #3
Gardensnake

Quote:
Hey everybody,

Munchkin: X-Men Edition is my first experience with this game and I just wanted to say that we all love it! I'm a huge lifelong X-Men fan and that has rubbed off on my daughters. I bought this game and asked them to play with me for Father's Day and it's been our go-to game ever since. We play at least three times a week. I think our only source of consternation is that it doesn't accommodate more people (I have four daughters, plus myself and my eldest daughter's boyfriend); we take turns.

And another one: How many cards can each player play on behalf of a monster? We've just been playing as many as we need to in games of brinksmanship. I didn't know if there was a limit to once per combat per player or anything like that. What do y'all think?

Thank you so much for your time. And thanks to the developers/designers for such an awesome game. I'm eagerly awaiting the Deadpool Expansion and any other expansions I can get in the future (Excalibur? Dark Phoenix Saga? Days of Future Past? All New, All Different!)
I am in no way official here but my thoughts are on the brood ability to be that each card discarded adds a +3. I believe this is RAI, due to the fact that it is in line with other discard abilities from other sets and also doesn't require the players to be in agreement for it to work. Perhaps it would be better if the word any replaced the word each. that's just my humble opinion though. Admittedly, so far the non-SJGames versions of Munchkin have not impressed me and I haven't purchased any since The Nightmare Before Christmas set. I have played the Munchkin Marvel set but didn't like it. It just didn't have the humor of Munchkin just the mechanics and Marvel art and names slapped on.

William
Old 07-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Please do not do this. We prefer one question per thread, so that discussion doesn't go off in difficult to follow tangents as time goes on. So, if you wish to ask a new question, start a new thread.
MiB #1029
Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I'll have to defer on this one. Usually the cards are very literal, but English is a funny language and both interpretations are valid (but only one is correct). ;-)
"May" and "can" state permission or the ability to do something, and in no way imply a requirement. Without "may," a "must" would be implied, as in, "Each player discards one card to give the Brood +3," is an implied required action. With "may" in the sentence, there can only be one valid interpretation: Each player has a choice of discarding any one card they have in their hand or in play (therefore not including persistent Traps/Curses) to give a +3 bonus to the Monster. That's also +3 per card discarded, and not a total of +3 as long as everyone discards a card.
MiB #1029
Old 07-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardensnake View Post
I am in no way official here but my thoughts are on the brood ability to be that each card discarded adds a +3. I believe this is RAI, due to the fact that it is in line with other discard abilities from other sets and also doesn't require the players to be in agreement for it to work. Perhaps it would be better if the word any replaced the word each. that's just my humble opinion though.
The point of The Brood is that each player is allowed to discard one card, and one card only, in order to provide a bonus for the Monster in that very specific case. It is not intended that any player could discard all of his cards as a +3 bonus per card, as your wording would suggest. Yes, there are other instances where any card discarded, without limit to how many any single player could discard, could be used to provide a bonus or penalty to a Monster or munchkin, which would theoretically allow a player to empty his hand and clear out his in-play cards by discarding them, but this instance is not one. Though there are similar mechanics between cards and sets, each card has to be taken separately and treated as unique unless the language is exactly the same or similar enough (e.g., "may" and "can" can be treated as interchangeable, usually).
MiB #1029
Old 07-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
"May" and "can" state permission or the ability to do something, and in no way imply a requirement. Without "may," a "must" would be implied, as in, "Each player discards one card to give the Brood +3," is an implied required action. With "may" in the sentence, there can only be one valid interpretation: Each player has a choice of discarding any one card they have in their hand or in play (therefore not including persistent Traps/Curses) to give a +3 bonus to the Monster. That's also +3 per card discarded, and not a total of +3 as long as everyone discards a card.
It's not "may" or "must" that's in question. What's in question is whether it's +3 per discard (additive), or +3 total (regardless of number of people discarding). You can debate whether or not it makes sense for multiple people to discard for only a total of +3, but the grammar used does not unambiguously state only one of those results, hence the OP question. Even with "may" in the sentence, It could still mean +3 additive or +3 total.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
Gardensnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
It's not "may" or "must" that's in question. What's in question is whether it's +3 per discard (additive), or +3 total (regardless of number of people discarding). You can debate whether or not it makes sense for multiple people to discard for only a total of +3, but the grammar used does not unambiguously state only one of those results, hence the OP question. Even with "may" in the sentence, It could still mean +3 additive or +3 total.
This is exactly what I thought.

William
Old 07-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

It is +3 per discard.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 07-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #10
Gardensnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
It is +3 per discard.
Thanks for the clarification

William
Closed Thread