Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Lokius

Default Immortal

Hi All

New to GURPS, loving it so far. Seems a shame it has taken me 22 years of gaming before really hearing enough about it to check it out.

Still getting a grasp on the rules.

Quick question: Has anyone ever converted the old Immortal RPG to GURPS? I am not running Immortal exactly but would like to borrow some concepts and interested in how they would translate to GURPS. Anyone done a conversion?
Lokius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Immortal

Not done a conversion or familiar with the game.
Someone around here probably is though.
However if you can describe it we can help you build it.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Lokius

The 3rd edition of the game is now free and can be found here:

http://www.invisiblewar.com/downloads.html#PLAYERGUIDE

The basic gist is that the characters are reborn immortals, a race that is interwoven with the myths and legends of the world. There are 12 tribes each with a different flavour that compete for power and also against the Great Enemy and the Drove (insane immortals, possibly following the Great Enemy, I haven't followed the lore or played since 1st edition). The flavour of the game is great. the rules are a little meh. I am not recreating exactly but mixing it with a monster hunter meme but with characters not being much more than college kids at the start.

Then i might mix elements such as the New Kingdom (Urban Fantasy I think) and other stuff.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
Lokius

http://www.invisiblewar.com/whatis.html

Is the link the the backstory.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
Refplace

OK read a lot of ti and skimmed other parts.
I like the world concept, reminds me of some of what I liked about World of Darkness. I don't like the way the books are written or the rules so much but the background is nice. I would like to see your eventual conversions.
Ok here are some notes I took while reading it. not perfectly ordered as they were just thoughts a I read.
=======================

Vox grants racial memory or reawakened.
Fuge is a mental disad, need ot read or think on it mroe to get the details.
Ennui would buy Metabolism Control, possibly hibernation only but the other benefits fit.
Lethe is unkillable 3 and possibly a limited Morph, or maybe just elastic skin but I would probably call it a perk for a new body on ressurection, especially given the other stuff I expect o see if I keep reading.
Avatars can be anyting from a mental disadvantage to compartmentalized mind to a full blown alternate form (see Spirit vessel).

Alterante form seems to be a big part of them so read that ability carefully. It is called Shapeshifting.

Realm magic from Thaumatology best fits the magical powers they use or GURPS InNominae songs.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
Refplace

If no one steps forward and even if they have a conversion I think to fully implement this you need the following books.
The Basic Set handles most of it though Powers is extremely helpful and adds stuff your probably going to want eventually.
Thaumatology has a system called Realm magic in the Syntactic Magic chapter that is the best fit for the Serenade. It was based off an early World of Darkness conversion for GURPS 3e.
This should get you covering the game conversion.
remember though its best to convert the feel of the game not the mechanics.
So do not get stuck on trying to wrangle all the modifiers to exactly fit the source. Instead go with the flavor and feel you want.
The history and background of that world and the powers of the beings in it.
And if you get stuck on a particular build or idea let us know and we can help you with it. However if I were to start converting just based on what I read and never having played the game it would feel different then if you did so.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Lokius

Thanks! It will take some work but I will keep you posted but thanks for the starting points. GURPS is great but there is a lot to absorb.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokius View Post
Thanks! It will take some work but I will keep you posted but thanks for the starting points. GURPS is great but there is a lot to absorb.
Yes there is a lot to absorb and your starting off with some of the more complex stuff :) Shapeshifiting can be confusing too and there is not enough room in BASIC for a lot of worked examples or some of the modifiers.

Here is a race of immortals with shapechange I built.
--------------------------
Some of this info is for the individual and much of that info is left out here.
Mostly this is about the template and background they all share.
----------------
Shadownaughts are an odd crossbreed of categories, not really a part of the normal hierarchies they instead exist between.
They are not gods but many worship them, they are not just spirits as they can take on physical form and they definitely are not mortal.
They come from before the current world and are thus as ancient as any God but are said to have once been mortal. It is said that the first one created was Osiris who was killed by his half brother Set and chopped into small pieces and buried all across the kingdom.
His wife Isis was a powerful mage and put him back together and then brought him back to life.
The spell or powers she used melded him with Nature itself and he became something new. from there they created other Shadownaughts and when the Old Kingdom was destroyed they survived.

Shadownaught Template [337]
(All forms must have these advantages, treat as a set of individual powers over and above)
Unkillable 3 [150], Unaging [15], Illuminated [15], Racial memory [40], Immunity to Wizard/Realm Powers [30], Regeneration 1hp/hour [25]
The nature of their being anchors them to primal forces in such a way that Realm powers cant adjust or directly affect them. This does not block indirect attacks such as fire blasts and the like, nor does it affect magic.
Alternate Form Ba (Reciprocal rest. +30%, Non-Reciprocal Damage, +50%) (base 15 *1.8 +43 (90% of difference in forms) [70]
Alternate Form Khat (Reciprocal rest. +30%, Non-Reciprocal Damage, +50%) [27]
Natural or default body is a Spirit and the ability to assume human form is AF (Alternate Form)
Disadvantages: Duty to Ma'at <12 [-10] This is the Natural Order, and covers more then just nature.

Spirit Form KA (Earthly Spirit or Shade) [242]
Doesn't Breathe [20], Doesn't Eat or Drink [10], Doesn't Sleep [20], Immunity to metabolic hazards [30], Insubstantiality (Affect Substantial, +100%; Usually On, -40%) [128], Invisibility (Substantial only, -10%; Usually On, +5%; Visible Shadow, -10%) [34],

Human Form Khat [0]

Spirit Form Ba [290]
This is the spirit form that exits fully in the spirit realm. As such it does not have many classic spirit advantages since spirits are visible and substantial to each other there.
Doesn't Breathe [20], Doesn't Eat or Drink [10], Doesn't Sleep [20], Immunity to metabolic hazards [30],, World Jumper (Tracking, +20%, New Worlds, +50%) [170], Social Regard +2 [10] Terror (Utter Words of Power) [30]

The basic cost to be a Shadownaught is thus 579 (Shadownaught template and Spirit form Ka as the default body or race template)
A typical shadownaught would be considerably more points and most have extensive magic abilities and modest combat skills.

Shadownaughts may have access to a wide variety of powers and spells based on their long lives but the most common magics are Hekau and Words of Power.
Some common advantages:
Patron "Shadownaught Society" with Special Abilities +100% but Minimal Intervention -50% [37]
Old 11-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
Lokius

Thank you. Working a little differently than the Immortal setting. Starting out with the characters being fairly ordinary college kids or similar. So very basic characters, nothing exotic or supernatural at this stage. The players do not know where the story or campaign will head.

As the game goes on the characters will learn things, get hints about their true origins... or maybe they will just be mortals that learn things they shouldn't. Haven't fully decided. I might take a lot of the concepts, specially for NPC's they get caught up with from Immortal. This may eventually lead to an awakening where they can start re learning old abilities etc.

Predominant themes will be horror, supernatural horror and powerlessness in the early stages, moving more to immortal politics and conspiracies later.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokius View Post
Thank you. Working a little differently than the Immortal setting. Starting out with the characters being fairly ordinary college kids or similar. So very basic characters, nothing exotic or supernatural at this stage. The players do not know where the story or campaign will head.

Predominant themes will be horror, supernatural horror and powerlessness in the early stages, moving more to immortal politics and conspiracies later.
Then you can build the package later without having to worry about it all at the beginning. And when the Immortal thing happens have the templates ready and just assign them points and the build. Just make sure they dont read these forums to keep the surprise :)