Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Progress blog on new Ogre projects

Richard has finished casting the Ninja, and it is now on sale in W23. We were going to make this a simultaneous release with the new Ogre Miniatures, but that project is now at one minute and holding. Everything's done except the page of record sheets, but other stuff, and then GenCon, got into Phil's way on building those.

And there's no reason to deny you the lovely Ninja any longer.

http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG10-0108
Old 08-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Aaaaaand . . . I'm officially through with my part of the Ogre Minis revision. Apparently I was through a couple of weeks ago and didn't know it - I thought I was going to have to do the "00s," but no, Nikki got 'em already. Phil has finished with the new record cards, and sometime next week I'll get to the final pages. Then you will.

The beautiful black-background color-type record cards that we printed on the back of minis sleeves are very unsuitable for printing at home, because the black just drains the printer's expensive ink. So these record cards will be black only, and if you want to distinguish them, that's what highlighters, watercolor markers, Sharpies, and so on were made for. Or you can just print them on colored paper . . .
Old 10-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Aaaaaaand, finally, both Ogre Miniatures and the Ogre Miniatures Update should be posted on Thursday.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

We are closing in on a final schedule for 2009, and Ogre 6th Edition is not on it.

This makes me very unhappy, but I agree with the decision. There are two problems:

First and worst, we set a very high goal for the quantity and quality of boards and pieces. Think of it as the Designer's Edition . . . We'd have to compromise on this goal in order to bring the game in at a reasonable price, and right now printing costs are going up, not down. We will keep working on it, but we're not going to leave the game on the schedule when we don't know yet how we can do it. (This approach may work for GM on the Volt car, and we wish them lots of luck, but we're not going there. And remember, we made more money last year than GM did.)

Second, we are understaffed on the admin side. Until we can hire at least one more experienced game editor, print buyer, or development manager, we'll continue to generate ideas faster than we can get them to you.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I have been very remiss in updating this thread. As in, I should have updated it, and I didn't :-(

At any rate, we have resumed work on Ogre 6th Edition. We have posted some images of 3-D chipboard Ogres. And I'm about to start a thread relating to a proposed rule change.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #16
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Grinding onward with Ogre 6th Edition. Will probably start playtesting of the new rule set Thursday night. I really like the beautiful counter designs Phil and Gabby have created.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

And I have not posted an update here since 2010 because . . . Feh. Because we try to keep too many channels of communication open and nobody kicked me about this one. Sorry.

The date when we need this to print is rapidly approaching. We are still not SURE how many sheets of cardboard it will require. I turned in the rule and scenario text last week, and a couple of days later said "Whoops, I hope you have not started on this." For instance, because of the geomorphing maps, the rules needed to cover partial hexes:

2.002 Partial hexes. In order to allow the G and S maps to geomorph, the maps are cut down the middle of rows of hexes. Because each hex contains a number, hexes at the join between maps will contain two numbers (four at the corners!). Hexes that fall between maps are still considered a single hex, and a partial hex at the edge of the map is treated as a full hex for all purposes.

---

My brain is now very, very full of Ogre; I have not done anything on Munchkin since I handed in the Apocalypse draft (I owe John and Andrew a huge stack of card art comments, which I have just added to my list for today, but it has to be added at the bottom). I have not gotten to PLAY Apocalypse since I turned in the draft, if that gives you an idea how focused I am on Ogre. Fortunately, Andrew and Lenny ARE focused on Munchkin, and Apocalypse is coming along fine without me, but you did not come to this forum to read about Munchkin.

It will amuse you to hear that, after starting in 2008 with a three-release line plan for Ogre 6e and eventually combining it into one huge box, we are now asking ourselves if there can be a separate release later, with more Stuff. I do not say that to tease, or because we have already decided that is how it will be (we haven't), or because it is April 1. I say it to show that this project is still a bit bigger than our feeble human minds can encompass.

I promise to be a more faithful correspondent here until 6e gets to print.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I say it to show that this project is still a bit bigger than our feeble human minds can encompass.
I know Ogre continues to kick me around and make my head hurt. Each time I try to imagine everything planned for the box I can't figure out how to make a "Box of Holding" large enough to store all of the parts.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #19
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Today Gabby finished the first rough layout for all the counter and overlay sheets. 12 ledger-sized sheets (that is, about 10" by 16" live area). I can see how to reduce that to 11. If Phil can get the factory to see things my way about die design, we can get it down to 10. I think it will take an act of Congress to reduce it any further.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #20
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Heh. I have not posted a progress report on this thread since Kickstarter started, though I've posted in several other threads on this forum.

So, for the record: Kickstarter. Go support, please! Except if you are reading this, you probably already have, so thank you. Unless you live outside the US, in which case: we ARE working on shipping options.

$152,131 as I type this. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...igners-edition
Closed Thread