Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #61
IsamuKun

Default Re: Member House Rules

Our house rules are rather plain. The biggest one we have is for the starting game dice rolls, it's whoever gets closest to 5 without going over. Aside from that we use Evil Stevie Changes the Rules as a card in the deck. While it (and JK draws a wandering monster) isn't signed, we still use it but whoever gets it essentially gets to make up a rule for the game from that point on. The only rules for the rule is that it can't be used to debilitate someone completely (IE: Billy can only have 1 card in his hands, Robert can't win the game), and it can't be used to win the game instantly. We also use JK Draws a Wandering Monster with it's added ability though it's unsigned.
IsamuKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #62
nfmmalice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental_Myopia
As a house rule, it's cool to have a extra copy of each Race and Class in a separate pile so that you don't have to dig through the Door deck when you hit one of the "search the Door deck for a Class/Race" dungeons from Munchkin 6 pops up.

What happens when someone plays a "Curse! Change Race/Class?" Do you just take whatever is on top of your "Spare Deck"? And if So... and it's a Race/Class you WANT.. can you play the curse on yourself? =)
nfmmalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #63
nfmmalice

We are thinking of Instituting a House rule where each player is given a pair of EXTRA D10's with which to Display they Current, modified, combat level.

That way it cuts down on the Whole "How many points do you have right now?" And constant counting and recounting of Items.

The Only Rule I would have to go along with it is that if at ANY time, you are called on it, and your Displayed Number Doesn't match your ACTUAL number, you lose a level. This would be to keep people on their toes to change it, and to prevent people from cheating.. This bonus would obviously not apply to Cards like Backpack full of Dynamite, or The Fetish of Primal Chaos, where the number is random and would still be rolled on to add to your total...
nfmmalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #64
Snagliph

I wouldn't exactly call them house rules, but we certainly have a few unusual add-ons. One is for the Cheat card. Instead of only allowing a cheat on an item, as long as the cheat is defined, it can be on any (reasonable) aspect of the game. For example, one player cheated to be allowed to always hold one extra card at the end of his turn. This way he could have 6 cards, or while a dwarf he could have 7 cards. This continued through the game with the cheat card kept in front of him as an "item" that could be lost with a curse or death.

Another fun variant that we tried was a "random event" game. This was so successful that I think that I will try it again with experienced players. Basically at random points through the game (although I am considering a timer) a random event card would be played. I wrote up these events before the game, but to make it even more fun, the players could each write one up that would be shuffled into the random event deck to be played later. Events could be anything from being forced to switch hands around the table to having to perform a bunch of silly and sometimes munchkinly stuff, both to your benefit and your harm.

We love the kneepads of allure - they are a surefire way to get the rest of the players to gang up on you! Very rarely does a player with the kneepads have a chance to get too close to winning.

Another rule we tend to play, especially when doing demos is that there are no backstabbing-type plays permitted in the first three rounds. Players could help eachother, but not interfere with battles. This helped with alliance forming and learning the game in a friendly manner. After the third round the gloves come off and everyone goes to it.

When cards are played face up (especially in demo games) the text is to be read out loud so all players know what has been picked up. When a player is facing a monster, the bad stuff must be read out for any who request it. No monster is defeated or player loses a battle until all other players have a chance to particpate in the battle.

The worst game I ran was with a particularly rowdy group of kids who did not pay attention to the other half of the game. There were 10+ players, which would have been fine had they paid attention, but in this situation it was too wild. The one end of the table didn't know what the other end was doing, and while everyone had fun the GM (me) was VERY frustrated by the end *sigh*.

I need to think up some house rules to manage such a situation should it happen again. While limiting the group helps, the best game I participated in (didn't run, but wound up running much of it anyway, since the person running it didn't know Munchkin very well) was with 8 players.

One last house rule. We have the "Major Pain in the Butt" award. This is for the most annoying player in the game (who is usually mercilessly ganged up on and has no chance of actualyl winning). The prize is an "unofficial" roll of Munchkin toilet paper (Munchkin head attached)! Sadly, the last game didn't have a winner for this prize - or perhaps I won it by being a rather Munchkinly GM ;) Everyone had a blast though, including the two players who had never played before.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #65
Jarlaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental_Myopia
As a house rule, it's cool to have a extra copy of each Race and Class in a separate pile so that you don't have to dig through the Door deck when you hit one of the "search the Door deck for a Class/Race" dungeons from Munchkin 6 pops up.
Only problem I see with that is that the group I play with all think alike. We'd all want to be Clerics (unless somebody has cards which are usable by only certain other classes).
Anyway my brother and I don't have too many house rules. One of them is that we don't allow theives to steal unless they are at level 2 (3 for cyborg) or higher.
Another one which has bitten us both in the butts a few times is when somebody plays a "Lose any small item" curse on somebody else, the person playing the curse chooses which item is lost. This prevents the player who has 36 cards, which she'll never use from getting rid of one of those.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #66
deviouspoptart

The group I play with likes to go to level 20, but we have no epic munchkin cards, so our house rule is that after level 10 (so 11 and up) monster levels double for kicking down the door and looking for trouble, but wandering monsters wouldn't.
deviouspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #67
duskblade

the epic rules are a free download in the munchkin section
duskblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #68
RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviouspoptart
The group I play with likes to go to level 20, but we have no epic munchkin cards, so our house rule is that after level 10 (so 11 and up) monster levels double for kicking down the door and looking for trouble, but wandering monsters wouldn't.
I don't recall any epic "cards", with perhaps the exception of Epic Junior. I suggest you take a look at the epic rules (link) and see if they're a better fit.

Last edited by RL; 08-22-2008 at 09:30 PM.
RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #69
duskblade

i think there is a special german set of epic cards
duskblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #70
deviouspoptart

I recently did look at the official rules and picked up Munchkin Blender, with all the decks we use I am hoping that the official epic rules work just as well.
deviouspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice