Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #1
Tankboy

Default Ogre Minis Construction

Let me start out by saying that I'm thrilled with the new plastic Ogre series, but I rather prefer the Fencer's construction technique to the Mk series. The Fencer models fit so well together that no glue was needed whatsoever, almost like a snap together model. The treads fit great, and the turrets fit and turn, and are easily exchanged from regular to B model! Of note as well, are the Heavy Tank turrets, which I left unglued so they can turn (just for looks and displaying, of course, not for gaming purposes)

For the future Ogre series (Mk I, II, VI, etc.), I sure would like to see similar build techniques used, if only at the very least for the turrets. I found the treads on the Mk V difficult to keep in place while the glue dried, so that the model would lay flat. I finally found that after carefully fumbling around with the four treads, if I placed my hand down on the unfinished body on a flat surface, I could ensure that the 4 treads all met the tabletop on one plane. I do realize that the thinness of the model edges calls for a little different mounting technique on the Mk series compared to the thick body of the Fencer.

Otherwise, great job! I can't wait for the Mk I, II and VI!!!
Tankboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #2
offsides

Default Re: Ogre Minis Construction

One suggestion regarding Ogre treads: If you haven'e been doing so, sanding/filing both the nobs on the treads AND the bottom of the Ogre and then checking the fit helps. I found that in addition to having to smooth out the nobs from where the sprue attached to them, there were often very small bumps or extra bits on the bottom of the Ogre where the treads attached, which would make getting them flat much harder. But yes, putting it treads-down flat before the glue dries also helps :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
Izzy_B

I also did some filing and drilling with the MK V treads till I got a proper fit and balance. Didnt take too long an was worth the effort.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
Mack_JB

I just use some good old "healthy" MEK, and any imperfections get melted off when you squish the Ogre body down on its tread units (using a flat surface, as well).
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Tankboy

Tanks for the suggestions, guys! Even though I'm pretty good with cutting, scraping and sanding the visible spots, I never thought about the mating parts; they appeared pretty good to me.

So, you mention MEK... how about the old Tamiya Liquid Cement for styrene plastic models? Any thoughts? Is this "too wimpy" of a glue? I know it works fine when the parts mate properly, which I will try to ensure from now on.
Tankboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
Mack_JB

Tamiya Liquid Cement should work fine, it's a quality product.

I only use the MEK as it was the go-to solvent used at work for decades, it bonds nearly any plastic, and doubles as a paint stripper for metal parts. Kinda deadly though, but it's too late for me.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
Cat

Having been building plastic model kits for a good 50-ish years now, some procedures are just automatic.

If a mold line crosses a mating surface, always give it a scrape with an XActo knife to make sure the surface is flat and level.

Always keep a weather eye out for those furshlugginer round sprue-ejection markings. They are often raised, and can occur in annoying places. Even if they're sunken but in a visible location, a light scraping to blend the edge in will often hide it well enough.

Always dry-fit pieces before gluing. In case of trouble, check for mold lines crossing locking nubs that need scraping or getting in with a square file to clear that inner corner.

On the Ogre models, I dry fit all 4 treads and sat it on the table to check for level.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Always keep a weather eye out for those furshlugginer round sprue-ejection markings. They are often raised, and can occur in annoying places.
You would not believe how incredibly frustrating those things are to make and adjust properly when you are machining the tooling. They never fit the right way you want them to.

Last edited by Mack_JB; 10-10-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
On the Ogre models, I dry fit all 4 treads and sat it on the table to check for level.
So many of my plastic Ogres are part of the boy-racer "Stance Nation". Shaved the pegs, cleaned the holes...I could get them flush with the body or flush with the table, but rarely both and figured nobody would notice a little camber against the table while gaps in the body are ugly. Haven't really thought too much about it, figured it's some subtle warping from the de-molding process.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
ColBosch

All of my Ogres sit level, except for my Martian Metals sculpt.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote