Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
Extrarius

Default Re: Fires started with Incendiary 4 (PU4 p19) - extremely hot when igniting iron?

I think that even if igniting iron did give you a super-hot high-damage fire, it isn't the burning attack itself doing more damage, it's the burning metal.

It seems weird that the burning attack could ignite a piece of iron, but that burning iron couldn't ignite other hard-to-ignite things because the fire is only doing 1d-1 damage per round.

The following two attacks cost close to the same, and the former can easily ignite Resistant materials and has a chance to ignite Highly Resistant materials. It can also do 2d burning damage to foes. The second can ignite anything, but it can only do 1 point of burning damage to foes.

Burning Attack 2d (Incendiary 1 +10%) [11]
Burning Attack 1 (1 Point *0.25; Incendiary 4 +340%) [9]

Is there a reason to treat the fires created by them differently? Would the former only create "1d-1 ordinary fires" regardless of what it ignites?
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
Rupert

Default Re: Fires started with Incendiary 4 (PU4 p19) - extremely hot when igniting iron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
The following two attacks cost close to the same, and the former can easily ignite Resistant materials and has a chance to ignite Highly Resistant materials. It can also do 2d burning damage to foes. The second can ignite anything, but it can only do 1 point of burning damage to foes.

Burning Attack 2d (Incendiary 1 +10%) [11]
Burning Attack 1 (1 Point *0.25; Incendiary 4 +340%) [9]

Is there a reason to treat the fires created by them differently? Would the former only create "1d-1 ordinary fires" regardless of what it ignites?
So far as I can tell, the second attack should cost 6 points [5 x 0.25 x (1 + 3.4)) = 5.5], not 9 points. Also, the first attack can ignite anything, though igniting 'nonflammable' stuff takes a while.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
So far as I can tell, the second attack should cost 6 points [5 x 0.25 x (1 + 3.4)) = 5.5], not 9 points. Also, the first attack can ignite anything, though igniting 'nonflammable' stuff takes a while.
On the first point, GCA gives me 9 CPs as the cost. I'm guessing it is doing 5 * 0.25 = 1.25 => 2; 2 * (1 + 3.4) = 8.8 => 9. Whether that is the correct sequence or not, I don't know.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
So far as I can tell, the second attack should cost 6 points [5 x 0.25 x (1 + 3.4)) = 5.5], not 9 points.
Rounding rules. 1 point burning attack has a base cost of 2 (5 x 0.3, rounded up).
Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Rounding rules. 1 point burning attack has a base cost of 2 (5 x 0.3, rounded up).
Making it the same price as 1d-2 burning. That doesn't strike me as very sensible when rounding at the end provides more differentiation.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
Would the former only create "1d-1 ordinary fires" regardless of what it ignites?
No. If it only ignites 'clothes' it does 1d-4. I know, pedantry.

But yes, by RAW if something takes 10 or more fire damage in a single hit and ignites, it burns for 1d-1.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote