Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #21
wolf90

Default Re: Playmats questions...

Acknowledging that this does not address the thickness part of your request, couldn't you simply cut up an existing map to create your overlays?

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #22
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Acknowledging that this does not address the thickness part of your request, couldn't you simply cut up an existing map to create your overlays?
Hmm, one could, and that's semi-tempting. One could even slice off the northern half of M1 and have about as much variety as there is to be had. Painting some of the cut-outs to create more Swamp or whatnot. And that would still leave the Southern half intact to extend either M1 or M3.

The thickness isn't too big of an issue, this material is fairly thin and overlaps itself pretty nicely. If you could go thinner, that would be less expensive, but not super required.

On further thought, how about a new mat that has all of the current overlays (and more) just built into the design? Just pull out all your overlays and treat the design process like a jigsaw puzzle, filling in gaps as needed!
^,^

That would certainly cover the cut-outable variety that is lacking from current mats. Then I would just have to buy two of them — one to play as is and one to cut up!

I'm guessing that there will be a mat or two offered with the Mk.VI/Dopp KS to help push funding levels up on that.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #23
Mack_JB

Quote:
I have more than a half dozen designs already on my laptop! Just keep proving that you like 'em, and I'll do my best to keep 'em coming!

That said, I am all ears as to what you might like to see on a map. My ideas are just that . . . my ideas. What do you want to see? The more detailed your description, the better!
I know Phil has said it would be expensive, but I'd still really like the standard orange crater map as a playmat. Beyond that, I have no real ideas, I've always enjoyed maps, but have been bad at map bashing.

Since M2 incorporates "Iron Mountain", how about any new playmat (M4, M5, someday) that could be used for the "Battle of Sheffield"?

I do like the idea floated above about overlays or "sliceable maps".
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #24
akfu

I just received my M1 playmat that I pre-ordered and I absolutely love it.

But I missed the Ogrezine 2 KS. Will M2 & M3 be offered for regular order/pre-order like M1 was?
Old 10-12-2018, 05:25 AM   #25
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfu View Post
I just received my M1 playmat that I pre-ordered and I absolutely love it.

But I missed the Ogrezine 2 KS. Will M2 & M3 be offered for regular order/pre-order like M1 was?
M2 and M3 will be offered through the BackerKit survey (we expect to open this next week). Those who missed the Kickstarter project will be able to preorder playmats through BackerKit.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #26
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Painting some of the cut-outs to create more Swamp or whatnot.
Steve tackled cutting/modifying neoprene mats here:

https://medium.com/@SJGames/2-d-terr...s-b3b9d48168c1
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #27
voodoo54

Quote:
I have more than a half dozen designs already on my laptop! Just keep proving that you like 'em, and I'll do my best to keep 'em coming!

That said, I am all ears as to what you might like to see on a map. My ideas are just that . . . my ideas. What do you want to see? The more detailed your description, the better!

D.
I'd like to see:

1. Some version of the original orange map

and

2. A map with mostly clear hexes on it, with some forest hexes and a smattering of town hexes.
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #28
Cat

An Orangey Map would certainly be easy to make geomophic with itself in any alignments and reversals for lots of variety.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #29
Cat

After meditating on the options of M1 and M3, I opted to pick up a 2nd copy of M3 to cut apart. Saving most of the northern half intact provides a good open ground extension to use with either M1 or M3.

The larger half portion of the southern map will provide plenty of cut-outs for overlays, and more and cleaner water cut-outs than M1 with all the city spillage along the edges of its river.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #30
Cat

Quote:
I just went to look at the OgreMap2 program, but alackaday it is Windows only. Any chance there will be a Mac version of this in the future?