Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
dwalend

Default Re: Playmats questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Short run playmat printing is not accurate enough to exactly geomorph the designs. Using overlays, you could clean up the edges a bit.
That covers the simplest case of stitching the two maps together to cover the gaps. It lets units move between the two boards.

Getting the larger scale details - famously right on the G and S maps - getting the rivers, roads, and streams lined up - would require a lot more than one row of overlays. It deserves some forethought before the map is printed.

Otherwise you get Boston.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopagus View Post
But not geomorphic?
Quote:
The posted artwork for Ogre Playmat M2 and Ogre Playmat M3 are not 100% final. And yes, all three designs are physically the same size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
I'm really glad SJGames found a technology and price point that gets us new maps, but it does seem like a missed opportunity.
Quote:
Short run playmat printing is not accurate enough to exactly geomorph the designs. Using overlays, you could clean up the edges a bit.
Regarding the various mats and the issue of geomorphing . . .

Map M2 (as most know) is the Iron Mountain map, associated with that scenario. It is a stand-alone map that does not "match up" with any other map. That's not to say that some enterprising fan couldn't create an adjacent map with an associated new scenario (hint, hint!), but currently it is its own entity.

Map M3 is designed to abut the southern edge of map M1. As mentioned, the reality of playmat design prevents perfect alignment with the edges. To do so would astronomically increase the price without an appreciable benefit in gameplay. That said, they will be close, and the southernmost row of map M1 is identical to the northernmost row of map M3. With either some judicial trimming, or simply an acknowledgment of the duplication of the hexes, the two maps were designed to put one above the other without issue.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #13
ColBosch

I've found that the playmats are thin enough to physically overlap without problem.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #14
Mack_JB

So I'll be "that guy". When can we start asking for M4? (ducking as shoes are thrown my direction).
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #15
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Regarding the various mats and the issue of geomorphing . . .

Map M2 (as most know) is the Iron Mountain map, associated with that scenario. It is a stand-alone map that does not "match up" with any other map. That's not to say that some enterprising fan couldn't create an adjacent map with an associated new scenario (hint, hint!), but currently it is its own entity.
It's not too late to adjust the art just a bit so that one edge and the road line up with one edge of M1!

I have a scenario idea that would fit that layout perfectly — Cyclops, The Big Bus, attempting to complete it's non-stop run from New York to Denver!

It was the Iron Mountain map that reminded me of The Big Bus movie (1976, 4 years before Airplane, and wicked funny; just re-watched it last week and it has held up well). After discussions on The Miniatures Page, a 3D designer is working on a printable version of Cyclops now, both civilian and armoured versions. It has the proper 1970s retro future look for Ogre. I'll be able to use this model for train scenarios too. It should be available on Shapeways soon.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074205/

Last edited by Cat; 10-06-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #16
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
So I'll be "that guy". When can we start asking for M4? (ducking as shoes are thrown my direction).
I have more than a half dozen designs already on my laptop! Just keep proving that you like 'em, and I'll do my best to keep 'em coming!

That said, I am all ears as to what you might like to see on a map. My ideas are just that . . . my ideas. What do you want to see? The more detailed your description, the better!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #17
dwalend

Quote:
Map M3 is designed to abut the southern edge of map M1.
So you already did it? Thanks!
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #18
Buzzardo

Quote:
I have more than a half dozen designs already on my laptop! Just keep proving that you like 'em, and I'll do my best to keep 'em coming!

That said, I am all ears as to what you might like to see on a map. My ideas are just that . . . my ideas. What do you want to see? The more detailed your description, the better!

D.
I'd like to see a map that allows for relatively free movement - so an open area similar to the southwest corner of the GEV map.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #19
Cat

Quote:
Well, I can't resist an invitation like that — I've started sketching out a Mighty Morphing Lake & River map that can connect to the North edge of M3, the West and South edge of M1, the North edge of M1 with a few overlays, and when reversed it's own Western Edge is symmetrical and connects to itself.

Whee!

***edit***
Hmm looking at the cut of M1, I can either do it so that the new map can connect to it's own side edge when reversed if the mats are overlapped a bit. Or I could have it connect with the West of M1 in normal alignment or when reversed.

Last edited by Cat; 10-07-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #20
Cat

Drew, how about a mat (possibly thinner) with cut-out overlays printed on it?

That would be super helpful for those of us without ODE, and/or those of us who would like material that matches better than card printed ones.