Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #21
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Kickstarter - Ogre Miniatures Set 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
I see most people opting for multiple sets -- would a single $30 set only allow for the most basic scenarios?
Yes. It would field enough for a generic Mark III scenario. There aren't enough to even do a Mark V scenario in one set with any variation. You can do it, but you get no options. You have to basically use everything in the box.

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 11-07-2016 at 05:58 PM.
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #22
HunterS
Marketing Director

Update 1: Funded In Under 12 Hours! Now Onto Stretch Goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1731581
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #23
Buzzardo

Quote:
I see most people opting for multiple sets -- would a single $30 set only allow for the most basic scenarios?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Yes. It would field enough for a generic Mark III scenario. There aren't enough to even do a Mark V scenario in one set with any variation. You can do it, but you get no options. You have to basically use everything in the box.
You wouldn't be able to try out different combinations of units. No 4-howitzer defense or all heavy-tank defense. And there's a scenario that has two Mk IIIs.

To really tinker with the game's mechanics, I think you need two or perhaps three sets. It's playable with one set, but I bet you'll want more than one set pretty quickly.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #24
wolf90

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
You wouldn't be able to try out different combinations of units. No 4-howitzer defense or all heavy-tank defense. And there's a scenario that has two Mk IIIs.

To really tinker with the game's mechanics, I think you need two or perhaps three sets. It's playable with one set, but I bet you'll want more than one set pretty quickly.
If we hit all of the posted stretch goals, you should be able to play many variations of the Mark V scenario (including a 4-HWTZ defense). Are there niche options such as all HVY that won't be covered? - sure. But I think if we can get this to 8 GEV - 8 HVY - 6 MSL - 4 HWTZ in the base set, that will leave a lot of room for defense options.

But yes, two sets means more choices!

D
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #25
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
If we hit all of the posted stretch goals, you should be able to play many variations of the Mark V scenario (including a 4-HWTZ defense). Are there niche options such as all HVY that won't be covered? - sure. But I think if we can get this to 8 GEV - 8 HVY - 6 MSL - 4 HWTZ in the base set, that will leave a lot of room for defense options.

I think it boils down to: This is really a starter set of minis. Just like the original minis, more is better and where you really have to go if you want real variation.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #26
wolf90

<grin>

Two thumbs up!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #27
HeatDeath

You know what'd be cool, though it's probably too late?

Unobtrusively mold the stats of the vehicles on to their bottom surfaces: e.g. "A4 R2 D3 M3" for the heavy tank.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #28
wolf90

Regrettably, yes. This would be too late in the process for this set. But it IS something to consider down the road.

D.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #29
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post

D
Good point. I wasn't thinking of stretch goals. I see the 60K goal is a fourth howitzer. I bet it gets there.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #30
wolf90

I hope it gets past there! The stretch goals get really interesting after that!

And yes, that was a tease.

<grin>

D.