Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #31
Knockman

Default Re: Strategic & Tactical Objectives Counter Sheet

And at last, there's order news available....

Our friends in Wayland Games now have the sponsor sheets up online for the proper pre-order. See the new web-page to learn more:

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/steve-.../cat_1442.html

You will see that our S&TO sheet is listed, along with the promised Bundle deal where you can get our sheet and Drew's set for 'Barbarians at the Gates'.

That Bundle is on at a very special price - we have a stock of 400 of Drew's sets, and I doubt whether it's likely we'll get an additional re-stock of Drew's sheets arranged for UK & Europe. It's simply down to those guys at Steve Jackson Games doing some box-swapping and hefting between the two consignments that we're even in this position to support each other, so our thanks go out to those in Texas who sorted this for us.

Things you need to note:

* Printing scenario booklets involved more work and a lot more complex inter-action that then generated even further delay. We're not happy with that, and we're not prepared to delay putting these sheets out there. So, the Basic Information document that will outline the details needed about the counters on the S&TO sheet will be put up on the Wayland Games site as a free download.

* We've also got three Scenarios planned - well, the actual aim now is to make them more like 'Story-Arcs' where you will have three or four consecutive games to play, where some of the counters will be linked into those consecutive phases. So each 'Story-Arc' will be more like a mini-campaign. "Operation Long-Reach I" - the first of these - we hope to have finished soon, once text formatting and artwork is complete. These will be released throughout 2014 and all three will be available as free downloads from the Wayland Games site too.

* And any of Drew's support material for his excellent 'Barbarians at the Gates' sets will be made available too.

* And for a limited period, Wayland Games are offering a free shipping promotion for orders over £40.

So we hope this makes up for the wait, and we all appreciate your patience in our first venture into this sort of business. We'll make a few more announcements as time goes on, and look to keep you all informed. If you have any questions, just ask - and hopefully either myself or one of my colleagues can reply here on this thread.

Best wishes, happy browsing, look forward to your pre-orders and your questions and ideas, and my personal thanks again to Drew for walking that same path we found ourselves on two years ago!

----
Operation Long-Reach I

Phase 1

The GEV-MCP had collected a lot of chatter, and after a long night of checking, sifting, analysis, some clever guess-work and a lot of coffee & hooch, the C3-ISTAR people completed the jigsaw just before dawn.

The enemy had a plan - a long-range strike, multiple ICBMs into the heart of our territory, our people. We knew the basics - but we didn’t know the target or where they were launching from. But we knew exactly where we could get some answers - the PentComm, a joint Military and Civ-Gov HQ in the reserve areas of this region.

Just one hang-up - PentComm lay behind the enemy frontline, currently manned by elements of the 61st Positional Army, the only enemy army that had never suffered a breakthrough - ever.

Once the briefing was over, I wrote my ‘Sorry Darling’ letter...

E-mail Contact: tiffingames@gmail.com

BGG Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...ponsored-count

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #32
TheBigGeordieGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockman View Post

Our friends in Wayland Games now have the sponsor sheets up online for the proper pre-order. See the new web-page to learn more:

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/steve-.../cat_1442.html

You will see that our S&TO sheet is listed, along with the promised Bundle deal where you can get our sheet and Drew's set for 'Barbarians at the Gates'.

That Bundle is on at a very special price - we have a stock of 400 of Drew's sets, and I doubt whether it's likely we'll get an additional re-stock of Drew's sheets arranged for UK & Europe. It's simply down to those guys at Steve Jackson Games doing some box-swapping and hefting between the two consignments that we're even in this position to support each other, so our thanks go out to those in Texas who sorted this for us.

Things you need to note:

* Printing scenario booklets involved more work and a lot more complex inter-action that then generated even further delay. We're not happy with that, and we're not prepared to delay putting these sheets out there. So, the Basic Information document that will outline the details needed about the counters on the S&TO sheet will be put up on the Wayland Games site as a free download.

* We've also got three Scenarios planned - well, the actual aim now is to make them more like 'Story-Arcs' where you will have three or four consecutive games to play, where some of the counters will be linked into those consecutive phases. So each 'Story-Arc' will be more like a mini-campaign. "Operation Long-Reach I" - the first of these - we hope to have finished soon, once text formatting and artwork is complete. These will be released throughout 2014 and all three will be available as free downloads from the Wayland Games site too.

* And any of Drew's support material for his excellent 'Barbarians at the Gates' sets will be made available too.

* And for a limited period, Wayland Games are offering a free shipping promotion for orders over £40.

So we hope this makes up for the wait, and we all appreciate your patience in our first venture into this sort of business. We'll make a few more announcements as time goes on, and look to keep you all informed. If you have any questions, just ask - and hopefully either myself or one of my colleagues can reply here on this thread.

Best wishes, happy browsing, look forward to your pre-orders and your questions and ideas, and my personal thanks again to Drew for walking that same path we found ourselves on two years ago!

----
Operation Long-Reach I

Phase 1

The GEV-MCP had collected a lot of chatter, and after a long night of checking, sifting, analysis, some clever guess-work and a lot of coffee & hooch, the C3-ISTAR people completed the jigsaw just before dawn.

The enemy had a plan - a long-range strike, multiple ICBMs into the heart of our territory, our people. We knew the basics - but we didn’t know the target or where they were launching from. But we knew exactly where we could get some answers - the PentComm, a joint Military and Civ-Gov HQ in the reserve areas of this region.

Just one hang-up - PentComm lay behind the enemy frontline, currently manned by elements of the 61st Positional Army, the only enemy army that had never suffered a breakthrough - ever.

Once the briefing was over, I wrote my ‘Sorry Darling’ letter...
Would like to have ordered 2 copies of Barbarians at the Gate, sigh guess 2 bundles will have to be bought then!

Do these come with Drews booklet or is that a separate arrangement, a PDF perhaps?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #33
Knockman

Hi Michael,

2 Bundles, free postage, if you don't need a second copy of our S&TO sheet (no Bamburgh and Berwick Castles on the playing board together??) you could gift/sell/flaunt it to someone else? :o)

A good question on Drew's material - and I'm hoping we'll have PDFs along side ours, but I'm awaiting on his final decision and instruction to us, which we'll respect obviously. It may even involve him sending us a master electronic file for us to then arrange UK print-publishing, but I honestly have no idea yet as I think he's busy on completing it.

E-mail Contact: tiffingames@gmail.com

BGG Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...ponsored-count

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #34
Elberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockman View Post

And one pre-order placed ;-)
(wish I could go for two bundles )

Chris
Elberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #35
AstralWanderer

Thanks for the update, and using Wayland Games to distribute them seems like a sound choice.

But the pricing does need more explanation. Barbarians at the Gate is effectively priced at £14 (4 sheets at £3.50/sheet) which is more or less in line with Drew's own pricing ($22 - $5.50/sheet).

$5/sheet seems the average price (SJGames' KS sheets $4/sheet, Nihon $3.50/sheet, BGG Terrain Overlays $5/sheet, Nightfall $5/sheet) and up till now the most expensive was BGG's 3D units (with custom design) at $7.50/sheet.

So why the £10/$16 per sheet price for Strategy and Tactics?
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #36
TheBigGeordieGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralWanderer View Post
Thanks for the update, and using Wayland Games to distribute them seems like a sound choice.

But the pricing does need more explanation. Barbarians at the Gate is effectively priced at £14 (4 sheets at £3.50/sheet) which is more or less in line with Drew's own pricing ($22 - $5.50/sheet).

$5/sheet seems the average price (SJGames' KS sheets $4/sheet, Nihon $3.50/sheet, BGG Terrain Overlays $5/sheet, Nightfall $5/sheet) and up till now the most expensive was BGG's 3D units (with custom design) at $7.50/sheet.

So why the £10/$16 per sheet price for Strategy and Tactics?
In all honesty £10 in the UK seems like a fair price, and that includes VAT as well which is 20%.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #37
Wolvesgaze

This is good news and a tough decision.

Preorder sheets first to market in UK or wait for US based orders to reopen.

Knockman, by chance did Drew share how soon BatG would be available for US players?
Wolvesgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 AM   #38
Blabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeordieGeek View Post
In all honesty £10 in the UK seems like a fair price, and that includes VAT as well which is 20%.
From a gamers perspective I think its a fair price for the STO sheets. Plus the follow on free to download pdfs.

With a business head on retail pricing as charged is something for the distributor to set. Tiffins can only provide a guide price. There are lots of laws in the EU and US over 'fixing' market prices. This is why the goodwill between Tiffins and Drew has been so important to be able to provide the local bundle deals in the first place because ultimately the local markets dictate the price - as it should be.

Its like the differential in the lead miniature prices between the US and UK for some product lines from certain manufacturers.
Blabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #39
AstralWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabber View Post
From a gamers perspective I think its a fair price for the STO sheets. Plus the follow on free to download pdfs.
Those PDFs are likely to be generally available (unless Wolf90/Knockman have the time and money to spare setting up a password-protected download and emailing each backer separately with the password).

Perhaps more importantly, there's just 7 months to go before Warehouse 23 can sell their copies of the sponsor sheets. Since this is currently the only way to get ACD and Uncommon Ogres, it makes more sense to wait and see what price W23 charges (no reason for them to inflate prices beyond the $4/sheet of the KS-exclusives) and get S&TO from them as well - especially for overseas backers wanting to minimise postage costs.

The current situation is that 8 sheets of S&TO costs as much as a retail copy of Ogre (both UK prices including VAT) - I don't see that as reasonable.
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:36 AM   #40
TheBigGeordieGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralWanderer View Post
Those PDFs are likely to be generally available (unless Wolf90/Knockman have the time and money to spare setting up a password-protected download and emailing each backer separately with the password).

Perhaps more importantly, there's just 7 months to go before Warehouse 23 can sell their copies of the sponsor sheets. Since this is currently the only way to get ACD and Uncommon Ogres, it makes more sense to wait and see what price W23 charges (no reason for them to inflate prices beyond the $4/sheet of the KS-exclusives) and get S&TO from them as well - especially for overseas backers wanting to minimise postage costs.

The current situation is that 8 sheets of S&TO costs as much as a retail copy of Ogre (both UK prices including VAT) - I don't see that as reasonable.
£10 for a game add-on of that nature is very reasonable here in the UK, the thing is prices don't translate well sometimes between currencies and what might sound ridiculous in the states, over here seems great!

And remember these guys paid a lot of money to help get the game made, if we can get them from the sponsors I think we should as they deserve our support.