Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Knockman

Default Strategic & Tactical Objectives Counter Sheet

This thread aims to set out the information for this forum on the customs-designed counter sheet that my friends and I (as Tiffin Games UK) sponsored and created for this outstanding project. To see 'Ogre' back in the marketplace has been an amazing achievement. And to then be part of that and help in supporting the legacy further - well, what's $4,500 between four friends?

The S&TO sheet will hopefully provide players with a few new and unique pieces to augment their games and scenarios, and even provide some objectives to string together games into campaigns. We put some thought into it as a customs design right from the start.

Aye, it is only a single sheet, but that was because we didn't use any of the templates offered to us. I think - and maybe someone else can confirm now that most of the dust has settled - that it is one of the only custom-designed sheets amongst the special 4.5K sheets. Anyway, we can't claim we'll be as cheap as the amazingly good value BGG terrain sheets, but we're also not after fleecing fellow gamers and fans of Ogre either.

So what does it have?

There’s twenty terrain counters, many single-hex, some multi-hex, all back-printed with a damaged/destroyed side. These terrain markers were chosen from what we wanted to see ourselves, and from a few ideas taken up from several others, even Mr Jackson himself, and even from inspiration from a few films.

The terrain counters:

Geo-Desic Domes in one, two and three-hex formats as protected settlements or towns, as laboratories or preservations, or as command centres, you can decide whatever they represent to fit into your own design concepts.

Other Command and Control Buildings range from the new ‘Pentangular’ building to a plan view of an old medieval castle.

You also have a simple one-hex Harbour, or a slightly bigger two-hex Port, or the ability to join the two together and add other terrain counters to make up a sprawling dockyard and refinery. And just in case you need something to guard the maritime approaches to such an important installation, you have a Sea-Base as well. (Sadly, we couldn’t get a Barbara Bach counter to go with it).

We have logistics and maintenance covered too, with POL Stores for military re-supply and replenishment, and a power station or factory complex as a major infrastructure asset.

There’s also a large four-hex comms/tower array counter , useful as a communication nexus and seriously large target.

And finally a rail station and rail yard, on four separate hex counters, so you can conjure up the rail terminus and tracks you need for train scenarios.

And the rest of the sheet:

Well, we still ended up with some space, and thought what else could our sheet include – maybe a special military force, or some troops, or a new unit of some kind. And then, I guess because we could and we asked and we were allowed too, we decided on GEV-MCPs – enormous Hover Command Vehicles of the Archangel Class, all individually and suitably named by Steve Jackson himself, ending up with two for the PanEuropean, two for the Black Rose Mercenaries, one captured GEV-MCP re-flagged for the Combine and one for the Nightfall campaign as well. This last choice of vehicles seemed to be the best fit to compliment the work done by some of the other sponsors.

And with the last remaining spaces, we ended up with two small Hovertrucks and some dual-purpose Radiation and Bio-Hazard markers, just to add some spice to the mix.

So what now?

Soon the major stock of our counter sheets will be on it’s way to us here in the UK. We have plans in place to sort out the ordering, purchasing and distribution of our sheet with some great friends of ours with a presence already in the games sector, but for a few lucky early bird customers who have been watching developments over these past few months, here and in BGG (BoardGameGeek) forum, we’ve got together with Wolf90 to do some special bundle deals between us. That means for a limited time only, North American customers can get our S&TO sheet along with the ‘Barbarians at the Gate’ set from Drew, while UK and European customers could get the same combo set from us, out of the UK. It’s been the best option we could jointly come up with to try to save some time and money for you folks, and it’s taken a lot to work out – and once the immediate stock is gone for these bundle deals I doubt whether we can re-set this up. But we heard the comments from many of you and did our best to come up with some sort of solution, the best one given the circumstances.

So that’s where we are at the present. In the meantime, you can keep track of developments on the thread over at the BGG where I spend a lot of time on: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...-sheets-thread

It may help to mention here that if you want to drop me a PM, doing so via the BGG is probably the best way, as the messaging here on this forum has a smaller capacity (and I’m pretty much at the max now!). Look out for me there – TAG-UK.

You can also download for free the Ogre Launch Party Briefing sheet, that provides a little bit more detail on the counters here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepag...ategic-tactica

And Brandon has given me a good nudge to update the main page here, which we will do soon with the details on how to order: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/

And not forgetting the KS page itself, where you will see I placed two new messages on this today in the General Comments area.

Folks – I personally cannot thank you enough for the patience you’ve shown, the enthusiasm that shines out, and the good nature and humour that’s had me smiling when I read these forum pages – often at a time just when I needed that most.

More information and lots more details to come, and soon……
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o1_lg-60.jpg (74.7 KB, 557 views)

E-mail Contact: tiffingames@gmail.com

BGG Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...ponsored-count

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.

Last edited by Knockman; 12-03-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Elberon

Default Re: Strategic & Tactical Objectives Counter Sheet

Not wishing to stalk you, but you have BGG mail ;-)
Elberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Elberon

Also many many thanks for the effort of sorting out the swap for the BatG sheets and I wish you a speedy sell out!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Knockman

Double thanks Elberon - just as a thought, whereabouts in the UK are you? Roughly - no need for post codes :-)

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Elberon

I'm over in Bristol
Old 12-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Knockman

Aah really - interesting. So if we perhaps planned a 2014 Ogre Session somewhere near you, do you think we could round up some keen participants?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Buzzardo

Your links aren't working (they have multiple protocol specifiers, and that won't work).

Here is the correct link to the sponsored sheet page: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Knockman

Thanks Buzzardo - better now?

All seemed to be OK and they loaded fine when I tested them, and then when I went in to edit, additional text all over the shop.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I picked up the sheet at the Launch Party, will the Scenario Book be available for download at some point?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockman View Post
Thanks Buzzardo - better now?
Yup. All fixed now.

I'm looking forward to ordering these (which I will do through Drew Metzger's Barbarians at the Gates ordering arrangement, since I am in the US).

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote