Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #41
mehrkat

Default Re: A Bestiary Approaches for Nordlond and the DFRPG

I have a probably dumb question. Is there a difference between the VTT Token pack (used in my pledge level) and the VTT Bundle (used in the $100).

I'm wondering whether there are VTT that have been added for other books. I have I think all of your PDF library for GURPS and I think all for Fantasy Trip (plus an odd D&D5th). If you have added VTT for some of your other products might be willing to pay for an add on for that stuff and up my pledge a bit for that.

Best
Old 12-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #42
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
I have a probably dumb question. Is there a difference between the VTT Token pack (used in my pledge level) and the VTT Bundle (used in the $100).

I'm wondering whether there are VTT that have been added for other books. I have I think all of your PDF library for GURPS and I think all for Fantasy Trip (plus an odd D&D5th). If you have added VTT for some of your other products might be willing to pay for an add on for that stuff and up my pledge a bit for that.

Best
The VTT Token Pack/Bundle for this is for the tokenized versions of the art for the bestiary only.

for other projects - mostly the adventures - if you don't have the maps in VTT format, that's something you don't have to pledge for - it's just an oversight. Email me privately and we'll work it out.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #43
DouglasCole

I've had to keep this quiet. I didn't want to, but sometimes you have to.

Gaming Ballistic is THRILLED to announce Foundry VTT support for the Bestiary. Here's a video.

Gaming Ballistic's Norðlond Bestiary and Enemies compendium for Foundry

Kudos and thanks to SJ, Phil, Alain, and SJGames for indulging this experiment!

Over a hundred tokens, player-facing art, and drag-and-play stats as part of the GURPS Game Aid (Unofficial) on Foundry

The VTT pack can be added to any pledge that includes the PDF, and is already part of many pledge levels.

They're watching both the Bestiary and the VTT adoption. I encourage folks to vote with their dollars if they want more of such things.

Your VTT Pack Just Got a LOT Cooler
Old 12-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #44
DouglasCole

This came up on Reddit, but it's worth repeating.

If your pledge doesn't already include the VTT Pack, you can "add it" by adding $15 to your pledge so long as your pledge level includes at least the PDF of the Bestiary.

I've tried to anticipate likely "upgrades," so check out which pledge levels already include it explicitly, and list it in the "INCLUDES:" details of the pledge level description.

These levels below explicitly include the VTT package:
  • All New PDFs - Book, QR, VTT ($50) - Digital only reward.
  • Copy of Nordlond Starter + QR/VTT PDFs ($70) - Digital only
  • International New: Book + New PDFs ($80) - Physical and PDF Bestiary, QR PDF, VTT PDF. The Bestiary, the Quick-Reference 'print your own' file, and the VTT Pack are the "new" part of "international new." Despite the name, you may certainly get this if you're in the USA.
  • Bestiary, Cards, and VTT Bundle ($100) - Physical Bestiary and Cards, PDF Bestiary, QR cards, and VTT Pack

Due to an oversight on my part, when I added the VTT Pack to the Kickstarter before it launched, I forgot to plus-up some of the higher-tier pledges to include the VTT Pack:
  • Bestiary PDF + Nordlond PDFs (now + VTT Tokens) ($100) - The PDF of the Bestiary and ALL the Nordlond PDFs, now includes the VTT Pack.
  • Bestiary (Print+PDF) and All Nordlond PDF (now + VTT Tokens) ($125) - The print Bestiary, the PDF of the bestiary, and all of the PDFs from the Nordlond setting.
  • I Want it All! includes the Cards, VTT Pack, and QR PDF for $400. You pays me $400 for "it all," and you gets it all.

If you don't see the precise stuff you want on the above, you may need to pick a close-enough level and then add funds to cover the a la carte items as add-ons. The VTT Pack is a $15 add-on. Other books and content are also available. Scroll down to see them listed (farther down. No, even farther. Almost there. Good.)

Note that some of the PDF collections are pretty deeply discounted. Before you spend (hypothetically) $123 on pick-and-choose PDFs one-by-one, make sure that you're not bypassing the cheaper "Bestiary PDF + all Nordlond PDFs" for $100.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #45
DouglasCole

144-Page Stretch Goal UNLOCKED!

We did it! The first stretch goal fell before the 48-hour warning, which is tomorrow. This is excellent news, and we just added 16 more pages full of undead to the book.

I love using the undead as bad guys, and this stretch goal unlocks some very powerful ones, such as mummies and vampires.

The next goal is at $42,000.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #46
DouglasCole

48-hour Warning on the Bestiary and Enemies Book

Fans of Steve Jackson Games GURPS, Powered by GURPS, and the Dungeon Fantasy RPG have been asking for this since 2004. Let's drive and hit the 240pg stretch goal! Please come and pledge!

There are over 400 people following the campaign who haven't pledged yet. If they all did so (they won't, but let's be irrationally exuberant) we'd crush the page-count stretch goals and be within $1,000 of the TFT conversion promised in an early update.

There's a bit to go, but this is absolutely doable.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:32 PM   #47
Gnomasz

Congratulations Doug, you've lured me out of my burrow. It's been… long.

I've noticed on the previews that Control Points are quite comfortable in the stat block. It makes me wonder: will I have trouble using the book without the Fantastic Dungeon Grappling? As much as I'd love to give it a go, my effort last time I ran DFRPG and GURPS was focused on cutting crunch and bookkeeping to better suit my players. So I'm wondering: are there any monsters that rely on the CP? Or are there maybe other hurdles for someone using vanilla grappling? E.g. a lot of biting into grapple?

Also, will there be any guidelines into balancing encounters? I know it's not so simple in DFRPG, but I think it could help a lot in prep (and that's what bestiaries are for, I guess).
Old 12-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #48
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
Congratulations Doug, you've lured me out of my burrow. It's been… long.

I've noticed on the previews that Control Points are quite comfortable in the stat block. It makes me wonder: will I have trouble using the book without the Fantastic Dungeon Grappling? As much as I'd love to give it a go, my effort last time I ran DFRPG and GURPS was focused on cutting crunch and bookkeeping to better suit my players. So I'm wondering: are there any monsters that rely on the CP? Or are there maybe other hurdles for someone using vanilla grappling? E.g. a lot of biting into grapple?
Let me ponder this. "You can just use Exploits, p. 40-41" might not be straight-forward enough. I already need to define "bite and worry" locally, so something on biting in general is probably wise. I know I've got a Swallow Whole trait. But maybe some Monstrous Exploits would be a worthy if short section.

Quote:
Also, will there be any guidelines into balancing encounters? I know it's not so simple in DFRPG, but I think it could help a lot in prep (and that's what bestiaries are for, I guess).
I don't have any general guidelines that I intend to write, but some of the creatures are being combat-tested against various fighters from Delvers to Grow. Exxar the Chaotic GM tested the Baenadyrid (sorry, Bænadýið) and found that a 62-point optimized knight would pretty much wipe the floor with one or two, but started to struggle with three. They're meant to be flung at delvers in hordes, so that worked out. But the only real way to do this is to try it. I do want to give some level of guidance, but that might need to wait until the core content is done and we see what page count we have remaining, if any.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #49
DouglasCole

The Nordlond Fantasy Bestiary and Enemies book is now 160 pages, with 25 hours to go.

It has surpassed The Citadel at Nordvorn in backer count, making the Bestiary the highest backer count of any Dungeon Fantasy RPG project I've run thus far.

The next stretch goal for 176 pages is at $46,000 - the funding is at this moment at $43,400 ... so $2,600 or (going by the average) about 36 backers.

The stretch goals from here to the maximum at $62,000 are pretty close together. $4,000 per 16 pages additional until the maximum at 240 pages.

There are over 400 folks following the campaign who have not yet pledged.

We can still do this. I mean, we're gonna be a bit winded at the end, but it's still possible to hit the goals given "assets in hand."
Old 12-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #50
b-dog

I backed this project and hopefully it has a lot of kewl monsters. I hope that it is successful so that there will be other books such as a DF version of India and South East Asia.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote