Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Pluribus

Default "Walk Through Earth" as an attack?

In one of our games a player got the idea to use the "Walk Through Earth" spell as an attack. Basically grabbing a foe by the shoulders, casting the spell on them, and then shoving them downward until their chin was level with the ground. Then cancel the spell to leave them buried up to their neck.

So a few questions.

Do they get a roll to resist the spell? Some spells mention a HT roll to resist. Can a mage cancel a spell in roughly the same round they cast it?

Given the fact that casting "walk through earth" doesn't cause you to start plummeting towards the center of the planet anytime you use it there has to be some choice as to which earth you get to move through "as though it were air". Does the caster make that choice or recipient of the spell make that choice? Could it be overridden (IE shoving down hard enough driving them into the ground.)?
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: "Walk Through Earth" as an attack?

I'd say your mage is looking for the spell Entombment.

Walk Through Earth gives the subject the ability to walk through earth, not the rather less useful power of "plummet through earth". For it to be "walk through earth" not "Walk wherever the caster lets you walk" it has to be controlled by the subject.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Captain-Captain

Your player is making unjustified assumptions.

Yes, he can cast the spell on another person, he can in fact cast it to stop working at a shorter duration than the usual time if he sets that time as he casts the spell, OR spend a fatigue point to end it when convenient to him post casting.

He can also grapple his target and potentially get a downward movement result.

What he fcan't do is all of it within a very narrow time frame.

Cast spell: Takes an action assuming a 1 second casting time. (Magic is not at hand, sorry). Grapple,k at least one action assuming the subject is close enough not to require movement to reach. Grapple contest, at least one action, possibly more to get the result desired with the possiblity of the subject stomping on the caster as an undesired result.

Getting the cast downward subject to chin depth at the time he wants to cancel his spell... problematic at best.

If your caster isn't muscle bound, he'd better be damn good at wrestling or judo.

I don't see it working that often.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Logrus

I think someone's been watching some Naruto :)
Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Do they get a roll to resist the spell? Some spells mention a HT roll to resist. Can a mage cancel a spell in roughly the same round they cast it?
No. They have to wait until the next turn.

Quote:
Given the fact that casting "walk through earth" doesn't cause you to start plummeting towards the center of the planet anytime you use it there has to be some choice as to which earth you get to move through "as though it were air". Does the caster make that choice or recipient of the spell make that choice?
The recipient.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Agramer

Y thats not "legal".

Though your PC could get same effect with shape earth spell.

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
Y thats not "legal".

Though your PC could get same effect with shape earth spell.
Shape Earth is too slow so you would still have to grapple or otherwise prevent the subject from moving while the earth was enveloping them.

As was said above there really looking at the Entombment spell.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #8
malloyd

The primary incorrect assumption here is that somebody else *can* shove you through the earth under this spell. That's not the case, the Walk spells allow the subject to pick what they can walk through/on, they don't change the way you interact with the element as a whole. If somebody else could shove you into the ground, then the spell would be suicidal, since you'd fall into it under the influence of gravity. Likewise Walk on Air would entomb you in solid air.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
zoncxs

I don't have my books with me right now but I would have them roll a modified version of the spell so:

they have to grapple the person

Roll against it to cast it on themselves but have it affect the grappled person

pull them down and when they let them go they are stuck.

I see it as the person trying to mimic Kitty cat? from x-men where she is able to move through any object or person and even grapple them and pull them with her through objects.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I see it as the person trying to mimic Kitty cat? from x-men where she is able to move through any object or person and even grapple them and pull them with her through objects.
Kitty Pride has Insubstantial with Can Carry Objects and bunch of other enhancements. Walk Through Earth is entirely voluntary. The whole point of Entombment is to do what the OP was asking.

The only way you could do this to somebody with Walk on Earth was if they were willing. I suppose you could cast Walk on Earth on yourself and your target, entice them somehow to follow you into the ground and then pay the 1 FP to cancel the spell early.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earth, magic, walk